Dead serious stupid noob DJ-ing question...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Dead serious stupid noob DJ-ing question...

Post by gcoudert » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi! I was born 20 years after Sgt Pepper taught the band to play so I'm of the generation for whom a DJ was the guy who played vinyl records in their commercial single or maxi-single form and faded from one to the next using a simple two-turntable plus mixer system. And I haven't set foot in a night club since the late 80s... :oops:

Watching fellow Frenchman David Guetta in this video, I was just wondering what he is actually doing / performing. Were the tracks remixed by him beforehand? Where do the synth sequences, arpeggios and sound effects come from? Does he trigger them? Are they pre-recorded? Why has he got 4 of those 'turntables'? Could somebody please explain the ins and outs of moden day DJ-ing to me? Don't see any prejudice in my question; I'm just curious.

GC

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Re: Dead serious stupid noob DJ-ing question...

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:59 pm

A modern day DJ is a cheerleader, pretending the knobs 'n sliders in front of him do something that can be heard.

Damn fine cheerleaders, I'll admit. But nothing more than that - at least not live. Cheerleaders, doing cheery moves on the stage.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:01 am

I'm only going to comment on his shitty choice of headphones.

They"re s**t.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:36 am

You've probably seen this before:

Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:58 am

gmeredith wrote:You've probably seen this before:

No, I hadn't but it did make me chuckle. So, basically, the whole performance is pre-recorded into a laptop or whatever and DJs turn the music down with a fader for a few seconds every now and then for that crowd singing a cappella effect?! :shock: :roll:
GC

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:47 am

gcoudert wrote: that crowd singing a cappella effect?! :shock: :roll:
Some times they even mix in some cheering so the sheeple start cheering too.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:59 am

There are still credible DJs around who live for playing music for people in different contexts, creating something new with music other people created.

David Guetta isn't one of them

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 pm

Jeeeeesuss

I don't even get it. His 'music' stops every 5 seconds for some cheesy break. Isn't that kind of abusive? How is anyone supposed to dance?? Oh wait, judging by THAT crowd...

And I thought Skrillex and Deadmau5 and, ok, ALL of modern dance music was bad....

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Yeah, what annoys me most in modern dance music is overuse of breaks. Often, the breaks are the the longest part of a track :-/ And, when talking about "dance-pop" - it's really annoying, when you got breaks on choruses, when I feel that they should be the strongest parts of a song.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Breaks are necessary because the sections between the breaks get so repetitive that they become boring if they go on for too long.

Breaks also allow the DJ to cross-fade between tunes more easily.

Back to the original question:

Yes, everything you hear is prerecorded.

In the early days of hip-hop and the transition from disco to house, it became commonplace for dance DJs to manipulate the music as it was being played. Scratching, sampling loops, filtering, EQ drops, tempo matching, etc. It had to be done manually so required skill and coordination to pull it off.

Today those sort of things are easily automated using software, so a set could be prepared 100% in advance and the DJ need do nothing at all. That doesn't mean all DJs do that, of course.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:09 pm

People used to give DJs s**t for being "non musicians", but wow...the new crop is terrible. I actually showed up to an event to play live (12 synth rig), and actually had a DJ turn to me and ask me "what are all those keyboards for?".

I politely informed him that I was about to do what he was about to pretend to do.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:10 pm

not to stir the pot... but my best analogy these days is that DJs are like librarians. you can incessantly re-arrange your bookshelf by author, by color, by theme, but likely you didnt have anything to do with creating whats in those books...

not to say there arent good DJs that excel purely in that field. i personally am wary of anyone who calls themselves a DJ first (or only). there are plenty of talented producers in a wide variety of electronic genres who also DJ music of their own device, usually alongside music of their peers/labelmates. its generally the accepted method of 'performance' for musicians who create work that begin and end in the studio. bringing it all back to Sgt Peppers, the beatles were keen enough to realize all of the sounds they had access to couldnt always be devised live, nor did they need be? a studio recording can stand on its own as a legitimate document of the musician's craft. and for that we owe them a great debt....

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:11 pm

^ZIIIING! What did he respond with?

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:37 am

So this word "Producer" I keep hearing all the time - is that just shitspeak for someone who lifts wav files off other people's records and makes their own songs out of the bits, or do they actually write and sequence their own riffs/beats and make songs out of them?
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:09 am

gmeredith wrote:So this word "Producer" I keep hearing all the time - is that just shitspeak for someone who lifts wav files off other people's records and makes their own songs out of the bits, or do they actually write and sequence their own riffs/beats and make songs out of them?
Nowdays it means someone who owns Ableton Live and has a couple of songs up on soundcloud. ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...