trigger vs gate

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
zmd
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 am
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper
Location: saint john NB canada
Contact:

trigger vs gate

Post by zmd » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:12 am

Hey all, I feel like I should know this, but what is the difference between a gate and a trigger?
And part two...are they interchangeable?
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

User avatar
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 3:08 am
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape
Location: Docking Bay 94 (Dallas, TX)
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by Z » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:37 am

A trigger is a quick ON then OFF pulse, great for percussive stuff or syncing arpeggiators and sequencers.

A gate is ON then turns OFF when told to turn off. Good for sustained notes.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

User avatar
zmd
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 am
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper
Location: saint john NB canada
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by zmd » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:08 am

So the gate stays open as long as the key is held for example
The trigger is a blip at key on

Thanks!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 am

zmd wrote:So the gate stays open as long as the key is held for example
The trigger is a blip at key on
Exactly.

User avatar
sigment
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:41 pm
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by sigment » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:14 pm

zmd wrote:So the gate stays open as long as the key is held for example
The trigger is a blip at key on

Thanks!
also...
Gates can be set to stay open for a specific amount of time or a set to open at a specific threshold. Even if the note has been hit and released.

If a snare has a long reverb effect you can set a gate at x-amount of time (usually ms) to capture as much or as little of the effect that you want.


Also, gates can be set to open and close at a certain level of sound(or voltage). This is the Threshold knob. This is useful on noisy mics or synths. Set the threshold above the hum/noise and below playing or sing volume and it can effectively cut out the unwanted sound by opening and closing. You can also set a release time on most gates so the closing is not so abrupt and noticeable.

Probably more info than you wanted but realistically you can do cool stuff with gates. For example if you have a patch with a longer attack, you can play with the threshold on a gate to "enter" the sound at different points sometimes giving you pleasantly unexpected results. Especially on bass lines, it can retard the timing to loosen up a perfectly synced composition..

Steve Jones
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:40 pm
Real name: Steve
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by Steve Jones » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:22 pm

You would notice the difference between the two on a synth like an SH-7 where you can select either gate only or gate + trigger. Playing legato with gates only coming from your keyboard will result in the sound dying away as you continue to play notes. With gate+trigger playing legato will result in a new envelope being triggered with each note which allows you to play trills by holding one note down while playing another note rapidly. On some machines a trigger pulse will tell the ADSR to complete one full A-D-R cycle independently. Using gate or gate+trigger also has an effect on how notes respond on duophonic machines like the Odyssey and the SH-7.

If you have ever played a paraphonic ARP like an Omni or Quadra then you will see it clearly when you use the "single/multiple trigger" switch.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

User avatar
Stab Frenzy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9723
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX
Location: monster island*
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 am

sigment wrote:Gates can be set to stay open for a specific amount of time or a set to open at a specific threshold. Even if the note has been hit and released.

If a snare has a long reverb effect you can set a gate at x-amount of time (usually ms) to capture as much or as little of the effect that you want.


Also, gates can be set to open and close at a certain level of sound(or voltage). This is the Threshold knob. This is useful on noisy mics or synths. Set the threshold above the hum/noise and below playing or sing volume and it can effectively cut out the unwanted sound by opening and closing. You can also set a release time on most gates so the closing is not so abrupt and noticeable.

Probably more info than you wanted but realistically you can do cool stuff with gates. For example if you have a patch with a longer attack, you can play with the threshold on a gate to "enter" the sound at different points sometimes giving you pleasantly unexpected results. Especially on bass lines, it can retard the timing to loosen up a perfectly synced composition..
You're confusing the dynamic signal processing device Gate with the pre-midi synthesis term Gate. You're describing the former, we're discussing the latter. :thumbleft:

User avatar
zmd
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:32 am
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper
Location: saint john NB canada
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by zmd » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:33 am

Ive got a .com so I'm gonna have to play with the gates and triggers on it.
I found them (seemingly) interchangeable at first...it helps to know what I'm looking for
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

User avatar
sigment
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:41 pm
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by sigment » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: You're confusing the dynamic signal processing device Gate with the pre-midi synthesis term Gate. You're describing the former, we're discussing the latter. :thumbleft:
Totally realized that while reading the next few posts. Booo :oops: :oops: :oops:

User avatar
calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1038
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 pm
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: trigger vs gate

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 pm

to be fair, there are a few gates which blur the distinction. Like the Drawmer DS201(?) which has midi out so you can derive midi data from gate action. Mostly used on drums of course.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Post Reply