Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:52 pm

Why ARP Odyssey again? Some kind of obsession, or what?

Synton Syrinx, and I would *like* them (if I were on Facebook, that is).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:58 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The plot thickens! I saw this posted on Synthtopia back in mid November:
Petterkeys on November 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm said:

Update:

I talked with Rich Formidoni with Korg, and he told me that the Korg ARP Odyssey is going to be a mini version and Virtual Analog...
This better be some sick joke. If this is true, my balloon has been popped. If this turns out to be the case, I will find out who the Korg CEO is and stick numerous pins into a voodoo doll that bears his likeness.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:03 am

commodorejohn wrote:I seriously doubt Korg would be dumb enough to make a VA Odyssey after getting such a warm reception for their ventures back into real analog.
Well, we know that being analog is what's going to sell the thing to us, but they might not care about us as much as we would like to think they do. The decision is probably very complicated, and if they think that the VA technology is good enough (Roland AIRAs) and cheap enough for them to make significantly higher profits even with less sales, they might jut go that rout. I'm wondering if we'll see something like a widely distributed mini VA, and maybe a more limited full sized analog, possibly kit (like they did with that MS-20 replica kit). I mean they probably know the power of real analog as a marketing tool, but everything is a triage. I guess it would also depend on how development is going. Maybe they hit a snag, and someone upstairs is like: "Can't solve the problem by Christmas? Salvage what we have as a VA and get something on the market."
Steve Jones wrote:Full analog, identical circuitry plus two additional filters plus USB, PPC, sliders for $500.00? Really this looks to me to be an attempt for Facebook likes. It's Facebook 101 - Ask a question to get engagement from readers. Toss out a question "How would you feel if..." and a photoshop drawing and watch the web light up and people visit their website and the company name get spread all over the music forums.

Seriously - A genuine physical re-build of the Odyssey plus all the extras?
Alternatively, could it be that behringer is doing the VA? That would make more sense in a way considering the price & feature set.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:04 am

ninja6485 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:The plot tickens! I saw this posted on Synthtopia back in mid November:
Petterkeys on November 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm said:

Update:

I talked with Rich Formidoni with Korg, and he told me that the Korg ARP Odyssey is going to be a mini version and Virtual Analog. I asked for more info, but he refused to tell me. You can probably email Rich and get the same info. They’re having to work out the rest of the bugs in the unit.

Petterkeys on November 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

It will also be released on 5/2015. When I get more info, I will update.
How reliable is this source...?
'Some guy on the internet' - I wouldn't pay that "information" any notice.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:07 am

ninja6485 wrote:I mean they probably know the power of real analog as a marketing tool, but everything is a triage. I guess it would also depend on how development is going. Maybe they hit a snag, and someone upstairs is like: "Can't solve the problem by Christmas? Salvage what we have as a VA and get something on the market."
The thing with that is that however far they are down the analogue development path, switching to VA they're going to have to start all over from scratch.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:17 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:I mean they probably know the power of real analog as a marketing tool, but everything is a triage. I guess it would also depend on how development is going. Maybe they hit a snag, and someone upstairs is like: "Can't solve the problem by Christmas? Salvage what we have as a VA and get something on the market."
The thing with that is that however far they are down the analogue development path, switching to VA they're going to have to start all over from scratch.
Yea, this could be true. I didn't know if they might be able to use a bunch of R&D from projects they've already completed, or buy some tech/ parts from someone like Roland, or a smaller synth maker that they consumed. The scenario would make the most sense if they hit a snag... The other alternative is that they decided to back out and offer their R&D to behringer, and behringer posted on facebook to get some feedback as to whether or not it would be a good idea to take the deal and take over the project. Or maybe behringer has some tech they want, and they're offering use of the project in a business deal or something. It's hard to say, all speculation, and like you said, some guy on the internet said it was VA, which means practically nothing! :lol:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:27 am

Guys surely by now you can recognise click-bait? To build a replica Odyssey with all of it's sliders, action, PPC, circuitry, chassis and everything else for that price is not going to happen and it did it would not be a piece of equipment that would be worth owning.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

sourwookie
Gear: ARP Solus, Roland SH-201, Korg MS2000, Nord Electro 3, Volca Keys and Beats,Roland Juno D

Post by sourwookie » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:13 am

When I was talking to a Korg rep at work a few months ago the reason he gave me when I asked why they made the announcement back in February was they had to make the announcement so early due to "legal reasons". I can't connect the dots myself, but I wonder if this has anything to do with that.

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:24 am

This is really the best/exciting time of the year for synth lovers, we have pre-NAMM, NAMM and post-NAMM ;)

I really don't mind what Behringer do - so long as Novation make an analog Poly based on their Bass Station 2 - then I'll be a happy camper :)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:58 am

LMAO

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:40 am

I've just had a really awful thought - What if Behringer got the rights to the Creamware/Soniccore/Use Audio Odyssey DSP. Could that account for the low price?

If it is, then I wouldn't bother. The Prodyssey was full of bugs, aliased like crazy and had next to no support.

Maybe Behringer are trying to force Korg's hand, who I still believe will come up with a genuine analogue, full size replica - why else get David Friend on board?
Steve Jones wrote:To build a replica Odyssey with all of it's sliders, action, PPC, circuitry, chassis and everything else for that price is not going to happen and it did it would not be a piece of equipment that would be worth owning.

Absolutely... I can't see how they could produce a genuine analogue clone for that kind of money.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:37 am

Synton Syrinx, +1 on that! But very few people know about this synth and thus it doesn't have the commercial potential. The Odyssey is a legend and more or less every person who is into synths knows about it.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 am

I saw where Behringer replied to the question if it was analog or digital, "it would be pure analog signal path with digital control".

When I asked where's the polysynth and why step on Korg's toes they replied, "we are already working on a Polysynth. Our goal is cover a wider range of desirable vintage synth". Plus I saw where they mentioned comparatively there's a bunch of Fender Stratocasters out there so...I guess they don't give a $h!+ what Korg is planning.

Anyways... $500 is not that far from the MiniBrute or Bass Station II. They'll probably go with SMT components instead of thru-hole to save weight, space and reduce cost. Plus they're cloning vintage IC's and using vintage schematics. Also having their factory in China instead of Asheville will keep it cheap-as-chips.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Behringer is the master of making cheap stuff. If Korg can do a $600 MS20, a $500 Odyssey from Behringer seems possible to me.

They're just waiting for the Korg version to come out so they can reverse engineer it :banghead:

PS: I don't believe that Synthtopia post about Korg doing a VA, but I thought it was interesting that the guy claimed he heard it from Rich F. He later posted about his cred, apparently he is a pro who tours with Mariah Carey.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:19 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Behringer is the master of making cheap stuff. If Korg can do a $600 MS20, a $500 Odyssey from Behringer seems possible to me.

They're just waiting for the Korg version to come out so they can reverse engineer it :banghead:

PS: I don't believe that Synthtopia post about Korg doing a VA, but I thought it was interesting that the guy claimed he heard it from Rich F. He later posted about his cred, apparently he is a pro who tours with Mariah Carey.
Yes, but Rich knows how his NDAs work and is very unlikely to talk out of turn.