Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Steve Jones wrote:Guys surely by now you can recognise click-bait? To build a replica Odyssey with all of it's sliders, action, PPC, circuitry, chassis and everything else for that price is not going to happen and it did it would not be a piece of equipment that would be worth owning.
Behringer have never made a piece of equipment worth owning, why would they start now?

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:Guys surely by now you can recognise click-bait? To build a replica Odyssey with all of it's sliders, action, PPC, circuitry, chassis and everything else for that price is not going to happen and it did it would not be a piece of equipment that would be worth owning.
Behringer have never made a piece of equipment worth owning, why would they start now?
Seriously? I had their DI and it performed just fine. Had their Bass V-amp pro and it worked better than Vox stuff I had. I had their digital mixer for live and it was better than Yamaha and I NEVER experienced ANY problems. I also had their headphones that outlasted Audiotechnica ones, so...Really that bad? I don't think so. I suspect that all the Behringer bashing simply became a really weird trend.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Why does the saying "they promise you the world and then they give you a atlas" come to mind?
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Reginator
Gear: Korg: ARP Odyssey/MS-20 Kit, TTSH: Ver.1/Ver.2, ARP 1601 Sequencer (DIY), Minimoog Voyager, Waldorf Microwave Mk1 rev B, Roland: JP-8080/MC-505
Band: Reginator

Post by Reginator » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:29 pm

meatballfulton wrote:They're just waiting for the Korg version to come out so they can reverse engineer it :banghead:
Hahaha - I also thought the same! :D

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:25 pm

There's only one company that could pull off making a less reliable Odyssey than the original...and It's not korg! ;)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Behringer have never made a piece of equipment worth owning, why would they start now?
I know a couple of live sound engineers that are very happy with the X32.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:54 pm

Broadwave wrote:
Absolutely... I can't see how they could produce a genuine analogue clone for that kind of money.
because they've supposedly spent the last few years figuring out their own chips and hardware.

i've never had the bad gear most people seem to associate with behringer. my luck has been holding.
still, i will wait and reserve judgement for when a product is actually available.
w00t

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:41 am

Rokk wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
Seriously? I had their DI and it performed just fine. Had their Bass V-amp pro and it worked better than Vox stuff I had. I had their digital mixer for live and it was better than Yamaha and I NEVER experienced ANY problems. I also had their headphones that outlasted Audiotechnica ones, so...Really that bad? I don't think so. I suspect that all the Behringer bashing simply became a really weird trend.
You either have never used anything better or your ears need checking. The Behringer DIs are so terrible sounding, what they do to the bottom end should be illegal. And they're noisy.
Carey M wrote:I know a couple of live sound engineers that are very happy with the X32.
I'm a live sound engineer and I don't like them. For the price the Qu series mixers are better. I don't like the M32 either.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:37 am

There's a picture of the Korg Oddy up on Instagram.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:48 am

Drat! Mini-keys confirmed!

Still looks wonderful though! :D
soundcloud.com/vectron

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:14 am

?

You either have never used anything better or your ears need checking. The Behringer DIs are so terrible sounding, what they do to the bottom end should be illegal. And they're noisy.
Carey M wrote:I know a couple of live sound engineers that are very happy with the X32.
No, I'm using hi-end stuff like Urei 1176LN (hairball DIY) and a DIY Neve based mic pre / DI. And besides SMT components used in Behringer stuff I don't see anything that would scream: stay away! Their composer compressor is basically a cloned Drawmer for example. So why is Drawmer supposed to be good and Behringer's rip off bad? Just for fun I dared to test their quasi tube Composer against faaaar more expensive Drawmer 1968 and also many top-notch plugins, only to find that it outperformed many highly praised plugin compressors and in some aspects performed better than 1968, and in some not. I guess a hype or a bashing has a tremendous impact on our hearing perception ;)

I do dislike their copying of other existing products. That's lame!

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:19 pm

Buying Midas probably had a lot to do with that...
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Alex E wrote:Drat! Mini-keys confirmed!

Still looks wonderful though! :D
In a way drat, but in a way, the original is a big, heavy, annoying shape. I mean don't get me wrong, It's perfect when you're playing it, It's just moving and storing the damn thing.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:28 am

OK, so I've had a look at this Instagram pic of the Korg Odyssey...

I've messed with the colour/saturation to bring out some finer detail (pic below):

Differences from the original - There seems to be two calibration holes (covered) just above the transpose switch, text above the calibration hole between the portamento slider/transpose switch, although that calibration hole now looks suspiciously like a small blue LED. The PPC Pads are centralized, not pushed slightly to the right. There's also less "wasted" space on the left and right of the panel.

Two new switches, one for the VCF - 3 way select, but we knew about that, and another to the right of the HPF slider - "Drive"?

Take a careful look at the case sides - it's based on the old MKI/II vinyl wrap-around. That keybed definitely looks the same as the MS20 Mini - Maybe it is a mini Odyssey Korg are working on after all - I hope not.

Knowing Korg's penchant for producing coloured versions of their keyboards, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they released it with a choice of MKI, II or III panels - pick your favorite ;)

I know there's some cunning photoshoppers out there - but would they go into so much detail that, at first sight, isn't so obvious?

I seriously think this is the real deal - not shopped.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:40 am

Dear Behringer: Put up or shut up.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman