Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
genshi
Gear: Arp Odyssey
DSI MEK
MiniBrute
Korg MS-20mini
Nord Lead
OP-1
Octatrack
Moog Mother-32 (x3)
Moog Sub37
Roland JP8000/JV2080
Waldorf MicroQ/Microwave XTk
Band: jido-genshi, Science Patrol...

Re: Behringer discussing making ARP Odyssey now

Post by genshi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:58 am

Hybrid88 wrote:hmm shouldn't that info really be in the Korg thread? This is all starting to merge into one big pile of confusion. :?

Someone please resurrect the Korg thread so we can stop stroking Behringers ridiculous ego...
As I mentioned, I searched for the Korg thread, and it didn't come up at all (I actually searched 3 different ways and nothing.) So I posted it here since it's still Odyssey related and I thought people would be interested (and Behringer's version won't be shown for at least a year according to Uli himself.) Didn't want to create yet another whole new thread just for this, I would have gotten slammed for that... damned either way I guess. :roll:

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:04 am

I don't think they'll be able to reproduce it part for part, but they couldn't do that with the MS-20, either. But if a part was no longer available, they substituted... not simply with a modern equivalent. They tested several components and went with the one that sounded the closest, even if it didn't precisely match the original schematic values. I would assume this is how they'll approach the Odyssey.
You can't synthesize love

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:26 am

genshi wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:hmm shouldn't that info really be in the Korg thread? This is all starting to merge into one big pile of confusion. :?

Someone please resurrect the Korg thread so we can stop stroking Behringers ridiculous ego...
As I mentioned, I searched for the Korg thread, and it didn't come up at all (I actually searched 3 different ways and nothing.) So I posted it here since it's still Odyssey related and I thought people would be interested (and Behringer's version won't be shown for at least a year according to Uli himself.) Didn't want to create yet another whole new thread just for this, I would have gotten slammed for that... damned either way I guess. :roll:
No worries, I just think it should be kept separate given they are both rather different discussions.

Here is the thread; ;)

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... hilit=Karp

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, Fantom 6, Novation Summit, Modal Argon8X, Yamaha MODX6, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Poly D, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX.

Post by Broadwave » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm

Aaron2 wrote:Even the most pristine 35-year-old examples out there undoubtedly sound different than they did when they were new. Time changes electronic components, and thus the sound of the instrument. That's an undeniable fact.

If anyone here really thinks they can compare the sound of a new machine to the memory of one they played 35 years ago, and make any meaningful judgment calls about the differences, they're kidding themselves.
Exactly... If a vintage synth is repaired for whatever reason, it's no longer "original", and yes it could affect the audio path - Both the 2600 and Odyssey have had several revisions particularly where the VCOs/VCFs are concerned, so can anybody tell us precisely what the definitive sound of an ARP is? Please don't answer... it's a rhetorical question.

So lets all agree to disagree and just call it for what it is - another fabulous synth to spend our hard earned cash on ;)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm

I don't think it's confusing for genshi's post about the new Korg Arp Odyssey info to be posted within this one.
This has been the most active thread discussing BOTH the Korg and the Behringer Odyssey discussions.
We've had a couple of pages that really had nothing to do with the Behringer Odyssey, but a debate about components, both past and present and whether having a digital circuit changes the analog sound or not.
Certainly a bit more off topic than what genshi posted.

At any rate, it's very interesting new news about the Korg Odyssey, but until it is verified by multiple sources I'll hold off on whether all of it is accurate or not.

These are indeed exciting times and I think we can all agree on that. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

ta152c
Gear: Various, but its about the sound, not the gear eh
Band: radical posture

Post by ta152c » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:43 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:
ta152c wrote: Why all the dislike about them? People buy their stuff all the time, and if it helps people make music, then is it an issue?
The biggest complaints I have about Behringer is that most of their equipment is just plain c**p, imo. Either shoddy build quality, way too much line level hiss, proprietary connectors (seriously, their UB1202 mixer makes me grind my teeth about that), or just poor performance. I've had some luck with Behringer products, like the Vintage Time Machine Delay/Chorus/Vibe (Memory Man rip-off) in terms of build quality and sound, but man, that thing peaks way too easily. Behringer also gets a lot of flack for things just like this. They rip off things that are already in existence, that are being built by other companies.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Sure, my Moog phaser costs $275 more than the Behringer phaser, but my Moog out performs, out classes, and will outlast the Behringer 100 times over. That being said, you want a $25 phaser? Go get a Behringer. Just don't expect high end performance.
What do you mean by 'high-end', old boy?

Is it like elitist or prog-rock shite?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:05 pm

ta152c wrote:
ryryoftokyo wrote:
ta152c wrote: Why all the dislike about them? People buy their stuff all the time, and if it helps people make music, then is it an issue?
The biggest complaints I have about <a class="vglnk" target="_blank" href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &x=11&y=13" rel="nofollow"><span>Behringer</span></a> is that most of their equipment is just plain c**p, imo. Either shoddy build quality, way too much line level hiss, proprietary connectors (seriously, their UB1202 mixer makes me grind my teeth about that), or just poor performance. I've had some luck with Behringer products, like the Vintage Time Machine Delay/Chorus/Vibe (Memory Man rip-off) in terms of build quality and sound, but man, that thing peaks way too easily. Behringer also gets a lot of flack for things just like this. They rip off things that are already in existence, that are being built by other companies.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Sure, my Moog phaser costs $275 more than the Behringer phaser, but my Moog out performs, out classes, and will outlast the Behringer 100 times over. That being said, you want a $25 phaser? Go get a Behringer. Just don't expect high end performance.
What do you mean by 'high-end', old boy?

Is it like elitist or prog-rock shite?
Probably just a good way to describe the differences between what Moog offers and what Behringer offers without being too offensive to Behringer ;). Their business strategy is to to flood the low end of the market and maximize affordability, whereas Moog's business strategy is to make a handful of products with a high price point and more expensive and quality and construction. Hence: low end - high end.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:32 pm

Deleted. Not worth it.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.