New hybrid digital/analogue Roland JD/Xi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
salwa

Re: New hybrid digital/analogue Roland Synth?

Post by salwa » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 pm

It looks to me like entry-level semi-workstation (actually looks a bit like Yamaha PSS-780), aimed at non-pro musicians. So those people, who complain about small keys, beacause they are real musicians and actually play their keyboards - this is probably not for you. Even if it had regular keys, you'd be probably dissapointed about its lack of this and that, overal generic tone and non-pro funcionalities.
As for me - I personally like small keys: yesterday I was recording my VSS-200 and it was fun. Although I probably couldn't afford this new Roland syth, it looks nice to me. Just don't expect much.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Like everybody else, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm open to it sounding good and to love it, but again, I just don't believe Roland is going to do this OR even do it right. I mean, analog oscillators and DIGITAL filters? :facepalm:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 pm

Every time I hear the phrase "analog renaissance" I throw up a little in my mouth. A handful of small, budget mono-synths and a remake or two is a pretty limp wristed renaissance.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:14 am

I dunno, I think there are more analog synths available now than any other time, and at more price points too!
Long live the renaisance, and the hybrid renaisance too:)
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:03 am

ninja6485 wrote:Every time I hear the phrase "analog renaissance" I throw up a little in my mouth. A handful of small, budget mono-synths and a remake or two is a pretty limp wristed renaissance.
mm yeah forget the Eurorack explosion and the massive re-uptake of interest in analog synths generally :?

The term might be lame, but the actual fact isn't.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:31 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:Every time I hear the phrase "analog renaissance" I throw up a little in my mouth. A handful of small, budget mono-synths and a remake or two is a pretty limp wristed renaissance.
mm yeah forget the Eurorack explosion and the massive re-uptake of interest in analog synths generally :?

The term is annoying, without a doubt. And I don't know, there was still a lot of interest in analog before the minibtute/ korg remake "era." MFB was making things, doepfer had some stuff, the modular world was going strong, tons of DIY projects, Dave smith had some modern analog stuff (or are they considered hybrids?)and of course the voyager, xoxbox, and the alesis Andromeda. We all wanted more analog, but the companies weren't biting. Now there is definitely a surge of interest and new products, but it's hardly a renaissance. It's great if you want a small, desky mono-synth, or a really stripped down drum machine, but there's not really enough going on beyond that that really screams "renaissance." A lot of them are just providing an affordable way to get a basic analog mono synth. Forget about original modern creations that are of the kind and quality of the CS-80, jupiters, prophet 5, Oberheims, arp 2600, etc.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:05 am

"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:08 am

As people have mentioned elsewhere, there was no new-analog consumer non-niche market until DSI basically built it themselves about seven or eight years ago. Behringer are preparing to release a whole range of synths including VCO polys and monos, and there's going to be other new polysynths too, so it will all look much further down the road within about 18 months or so. Added to that, and the reason we're on this thread right now, there's going to be a lot of new hybrid instruments coming down the line.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:49 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:

The term is annoying, without a doubt. And I don't know, there was still a lot of interest in analog before the minibtute/ korg remake "era." MFB was making things, doepfer had some stuff, the modular world was going strong, tons of DIY projects, Dave smith had some modern analog stuff (or are they considered hybrids?)and of course the voyager, xoxbox, and the alesis Andromeda. We all wanted more analog, but the companies weren't biting. Now there is definitely a surge of interest and new products, but it's hardly a renaissance. It's great if you want a small, desky mono-synth, or a really stripped down drum machine, but there's not really enough going on beyond that that really screams "renaissance." A lot of them are just providing an affordable way to get a basic analog mono synth. Forget about original modern creations that are of the kind and quality of the CS-80, jupiters, prophet 5, Oberheims, arp 2600, etc.
I'd have to disagree, there are far more makers and synths out there than a few years ago, yeah perhaps a lot of them are smaller manufacturers, but the point is the interest is there so the products are.

Yeah it is light on the high quality stuff, but I'd hasten to say that perhaps the dollars just don't add up - I mean the mainstream synths are aimed at people who want more for less, hardly going to find CS-80 quality there.

The Schmidt to me has to be one of the most incredible synths of the last few years, but you don't exactly see them around in music stores, nor do you see many people stepping up to own one.

I'd hazard a guess that it would be far easier for a company to sell 20,000 simple synths at a cheap price point than 2,000 quality ones at a high one.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:49 pm

Swayze wrote:

Roland draws features out of a hat, develops a Frankensynth, then slaps "JD" on there.

They're definitely getting warmer, but Jesus what's with them?
Perhaps not even they know. Hasn't the lack of analog from Roland gone along with their mission statement of always wanting to produce things that sound as realistic as possible? Seems to have always been their thing, and now that they've lost a chunk of the market, they're trying like mad to fill it.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:I'd have to disagree, there are far more makers and synths out there than a few years ago, yeah perhaps a lot of them are smaller manufacturers, but the point is the interest is there so the products are.

Yeah it is light on the high quality stuff, but I'd hasten to say that perhaps the dollars just don't add up - I mean the mainstream synths are aimed at people who want more for less, hardly going to find CS-80 quality there.

The Schmidt to me has to be one of the most incredible synths of the last few years, but you don't exactly see them around in music stores, nor do you see many people stepping up to own one.

I'd hazard a guess that it would be far easier for a company to sell 20,000 simple synths at a cheap price point than 2,000 quality ones at a high one.
Well yea, I mean this is pretty much why it seems to me that people are blowing the "renaissance" out of proportion. Right now it almost reminds me a little bit of when swing music "came back."

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:09 am

Perhaps, but at least it's heading in the right direction.

I'm just glad when I tell someone I use these things called "synthesisers" it doesn't get me as many strange looks as it used to. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:21 am

alan partridge wrote:As people have mentioned elsewhere, there was no new-analog consumer non-niche market until DSI basically built it themselves about seven or eight years ago. Behringer are preparing to release a whole range of synths including VCO polys and monos, and there's going to be other new polysynths too, so it will all look much further down the road within about 18 months or so. Added to that, and the reason we're on this thread right now, there's going to be a lot of new hybrid instruments coming down the line.
I would argue that Moog had a bigger influence than DSI. The consumer analogue market really took off with the release of the Little Phatty, not the MEK.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:29 am

salwa wrote: As for me - I personally like small keys: yesterday I was recording my VSS-200 and it was fun.
Yeah! I was sampling with and playing my newly acquired VSS-30 today (yes, actually playing it with the keys) and it was fun! I didn't mind the mini-keys; I could still play fairly fast little synth lines, and I'm used to full sized keys. It is definitely all about personal preference of course, but I wouldn't bash a synth just because of the size of the keys. If you need full sized keys, just use a controller keyboard or another synth with full sized keys to control it

I agree about the Microkorg... never owned one and never will. It's not because of the keys, though

I'll (mostly) reserve judgement about Roland's new offering until we see/hear more. That being said, I think I may have a few issues with it:

* The name- why? Going off the provided specs, it's not really like the JDs at all
* The choice of digital synthesis - why do you need analog modelling when it already has true analog synthesis? Why not do something cool (and that makes sense) like wavetable synthesis? Or even use regular single-cycle digital waves that are unique? I really like hybrids (digital waves, analog filter), and think the idea of having both an analog and digital sound source in the same unit is cool when coupled with a VCF (I know, DSI already did it), but not when the digital engine is just VA... doesn't make sense
* The digital filter - not too big a deal, since there's an analog one, too, but why not just have a multi-mode VCF?

But it does look pretty hands on - there are a good amount of knobs and buttons, which is nice. The x0x sequencer may be cool, too. And who knows, maybe there will end up being more waves on the digital side than just the standard analog-type ones? If there are more than just the traditional ones, I may wanna get it, but I'm definitely waiting until I know a lot more, and have actually heard it

EDIT: I'd also like to add that just because a synth has an arpeggiator or sequencer or minikeys doesn't mean it's just for people who don't "play" their synths. I use and like arpeggiators and sequencers, but I do also play by hand

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:03 am

Chewy wrote:The name- why? Going off the provided specs, it's not really like the JDs at all
Which puts it in good company with the Juno-Di and the Jupiter-80...
The choice of digital synthesis - why do you need analog modelling when it already has true analog synthesis?
Because Roland paid good money to develop their latest fancy-schmancy engines, and dammit, they're gonna use them!
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73