New hybrid digital/analogue Roland JD/Xi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Re: New hybrid digital/analogue Roland Synth?

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:27 pm

Kind of an ugly synth...looks like they slapped mini keys on the rc-505 looper...but we'll have to see what happens at namm. Dave Spires from g-force joked on this past sonic talk that it was just a decoy synth to get people all riled up hahaha

I'm still waiting for the Aira system 700 modular
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:49 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:I'm not even kidding when I say that I'll walk out on a band that has a microKorg.
Throw in a Kaos pad and I am liable to hurl a beer bottle.
That's pretty closed minded.

I saw jazz organist Dr. Lonnie Smith a few years ago at the Montreal Jazz festival with a microStation atop his B3 and he put it to excellent use. I've since seen a few jazz pianists since then with microKorgs atop a Fender Rhodes.

It's the carpenter, not the tools.
alan partridge wrote:The mass interest in real-analog is relatively new.

The new analogs are not aimed at the professionals who buy Voyagers and Prophets, they are aimed at hobbyists and part-timers who don't have $1000+ budgets.

In the same SonicTalk noted above, Rich Hilton suggested the real market driver for new analogs is romance. So many old timers who dumped analog for digital 30 years ago will tell you they never looked back while newcomers are looking at vintage analogs through rose colored glasses. He argued that people are being sold a dream more than an instrument.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:20 pm

meatballfulton wrote:In the same SonicTalk noted above, Rich Hilton suggested the real market driver for new analogs is romance. So many old timers who dumped analog for digital 30 years ago will tell you they never looked back while newcomers are looking at vintage analogs through rose colored glasses. He argued that people are being sold a dream more than an instrument.
Feh. That's just another way of saying "nobody really likes this thing, they just imagine they do." It's a bullshit argument.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Swayze
Gear: Mono/Poly, JX3P, AX80, SQ80, DX7, DX7IIFDE!, AN1x, TG77, EX8000, Microbrute, Behringer D, Eurorack, Drumtraks, TR-08

Post by Swayze » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm

moremagic wrote:^^^^^^
how are you hoping they implement the analog mono into the hybrid poly, make it multitimbral with that just another timbre & dedicated knobs or ? ?
its an intereting idea, im curious to hear more of what youd want there.
I could tell you, but then I'd have to (you know what)...

By that I mean, start a partnership, develop this monster synth, then watch the money roll in. ;)

Infrasound
Gear: Smack, Crack, Acid

Post by Infrasound » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:37 am

commodorejohn wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:In the same SonicTalk noted above, Rich Hilton suggested the real market driver for new analogs is romance. So many old timers who dumped analog for digital 30 years ago will tell you they never looked back while newcomers are looking at vintage analogs through rose colored glasses. He argued that people are being sold a dream more than an instrument.
Feh. That's just another way of saying "nobody really likes this thing, they just imagine they do." It's a bullshit argument.
I think it's a little more complicated than that.

I would imagine many old timers who were gigging wanted something reliable, that wouldn't go out of tune, and can hold presets and be transported with greater ease than the behemoths of yesteryear. In contrast, for those who are used to using a mouse to turn a virtual knob, real time control combined with analogue sound certainly offers a more hands on musical experience.

I think the new desire for analogue may involve rose coloured glasses for some (who weren't around when analogue was all that existed), but it is also a new and fun way of controlling sound in a modern package. An instrument like the Bass Station 2 is the best of both worlds. What this Roland instrument turns out to be, and how it sounds is anyone's guess.

What I don't understand, is if there is an analogue oscillator, why they are running it along a digital emulation of analogue? What I've heard of the System 1 plugouts is excellent, and it seems a step back if Roland spent all that time modelling accurate representations of their old oscillators, to pair it with real analogue. Wavetables I can understand, but this leaves me scratching my head a bit.

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 am

Infrasound wrote: What I don't understand, is if there is an analogue oscillator, why they are running it along a digital emulation of analogue? What I've heard of the System 1 plugouts is excellent, and it seems a step back if Roland spent all that time modelling accurate representations of their old oscillators, to pair it with real analogue. Wavetables I can understand, but this leaves me scratching my head a bit.
My guess is that AIRA was more a response to the demand for their old stuff and they chose to make it with digital, since they can't make 1:1 clones of so much stuff xox/sh/jupiters/junos etc. But real analog is still a possibility at Roland I reckon since they probably also acknowledge the sonic difference/benefit of real analogue.

With this JD-Xi keyboard I imagine if it has a real analog synth then it would be different to the digital section and if it has an onboard sequencer you could probably make a part with the real analog synth and then layer it with the digital stuff etc

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:20 pm

commodorejohn wrote:So many old timers who dumped analog for digital 30 years ago will tell you they never looked back while newcomers are looking at vintage analogs through rose colored glasses. He argued that people are being sold a dream more than an instrument.
Vintage analogs pretty much sell themselves though. It's actually websites like these which contribute to the hike in price and interest by making them more commonly known to the public. As for "new" analog synths, the companies themselves have created this interest by flooding the market with imitations (VA & VST) for the past two decades. I don't think it has anything to do with with romanticism. A better analogy would be someone tasting sugar for the first time after years and years of growing up on corn syrup.

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:50 pm

Looks funny.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:06 pm

is that a gooseneck mic? have roland finally caught up to the mighty microkorg?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:10 am

I can get behind this (full size keys, 4 octaves, yippie!)
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:19 am

The analogue voice sounds a lot like a monotron.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:49 am

people wanted roland analog, so there you go...

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 am

haha that's exactly what I thought Stab, pretty average indeed.

Also pretty lame that it's so obviously channeling the Microkorg and trying to cash in on the success that had this late in the game.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 am

Z wrote:I can get behind this (full size keys, 4 octaves, yippie!)
Any details on that yet? :)

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:53 am

THAT looks way more appealing! Looks like it had a TR-8 built in!
My modular so far: Q104, Q106, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M (x2 STEREO!)