New hybrid digital/analogue Roland JD/Xi

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Re: New hybrid digital/analogue Roland JD/Xi

Post by Re-Member » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:45 am

Without having the manual available, no one can say for certain how it really functions. There could be hidden parameters not available on the front panel. Like I said in my post above, there's a load of extra cursor and selection buttons next to the screen. It's also possible that the LFO and envelope functions similar to how the MC-505 is. Pitch, Filter and Amp each have their own LFO and envelope settings. The Pitch/Filter/Amp Button is just used to select which you want to edit at that specific time and toggling between them saves the settings.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:58 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Hmm, first possible gotchas...notice the single "Envelope" knob? Where's the EG depth for the filter??

How come there's no PWM depth on the LFO??

You press the destination button, that's connected to the Envelope depth knob with a little red line, to toggle between using the depth knob to for pitch, filter and amp, like on a Fizmo. :read:
Isn't that the LFO depth knob? Amp is one of the selectable destinations and it would be very weird to me if there was an amp env depth knob as well as an env depth knob that you could select amp as a destination of.
Well I don't know now that you mention it. On the the classic Roland synths like the Juno-60 and sh-101, you only get shape and rate controls for the LFO in the main section. Each other section of the synth has its own dedicated depth control that's grouped with the other controls for that section. On Va's like the radias and the virus it's a similar story, but instead of having dedicated controls in the respective sections they just have one separate mod matrix section where you do all of the assignments. But who knows? It could be an Lfo depth control. It certainly looks like it belongs under that heading at the top anyway.

And if you're looking at the envelope knob below level, is that what you identify as an amp envelope depth knob? I interpreted that as being a contour control for the envelope curves. So from left to right excluding the filter: (my initial interpretation) level (which controls the over all volume), lfo shape, lfo rate /then below/ envelope contour, and assignable depth control. ... Could the assignable depth control possibly work with both? I think we need to see more of this synth's UI! And if the envelope knob below the level knob is a dedicated control for the amp envelope depth, what is the significance of the signs around it? Is it dual purpose?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:57 am

ninja6485 wrote:And if you're looking at the envelope knob below level, is that what you identify as an amp envelope depth knob?
Level = depth :idea:

It's pretty straightforward, the sections are defined by the red line at the top, everything below that line is a control for that section.

joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, v-synth, monotribe, ПИФ, tx81z, sy35, tg77

Re: New hybrid digital/analogue Roland Synth?

Post by joeboy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 am

commodorejohn wrote:So why is Roland's Official New Direction for styling "put so many gaudy-a*s lights on it that it looks like a 2000s gaming PC?" It can't be because it looks good, because it doesn't. It's also clearly not effecting any kind of color-coding of things. Feh.
I was going to say they look like energy drink cans, but I think you're more on-target.

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:54 am

Aaron2 wrote:
Tacowitch wrote:Wait, did I understand that demo correctly? Can you not layer the digital and analog sounds?
Right. In one of the demos, the guy said that you can sequence both the analog and digital parts to play at the same time. But you can't create a patch that contains, for example, one sound created with the digital oscillator and one sound created with the analog oscillator. That's how I define "layering," anyway.

The good news is, you can layer digital and analog sounds with another hybrid, though: the DSI Mono Evolver/MEK.
Aaaagh, I know. I was just hoping that this could be my fantasy, $500 mini key mono evolver substitute. OH WELL.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Tacowitch wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:I was just hoping that this could be my fantasy, $500 mini key mono evolver substitute. OH WELL.
C'mon, this is a Roland product we're discussing here :pissed:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:And if you're looking at the envelope knob below level, is that what you identify as an amp envelope depth knob?
Level = depth :idea:

It's pretty straightforward, the sections are defined by the red line at the top, everything below that line is a control for that section.
Ok, I'm on board that. I do't know why I thought they were different! Still curious about what the symbols are around the envelope knob, and if that controls the depth.
Re-Member wrote:Without having the manual available, no one can say for certain how it really functions. There could be hidden parameters not available on the front panel. Like I said in my post above, there's a load of extra cursor and selection buttons next to the screen. It's also possible that the LFO and envelope functions similar to how the MC-505 is. Pitch, Filter and Amp each have their own LFO and envelope settings. The Pitch/Filter/Amp Button is just used to select which you want to edit at that specific time and toggling between them saves the settings.
:agree:
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Re: New hybrid digital/analogue Roland Synth?

Post by Bitexion » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:28 pm

joeboy wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:So why is Roland's Official New Direction for styling "put so many gaudy-a*s lights on it that it looks like a 2000s gaming PC?" It can't be because it looks good, because it doesn't. It's also clearly not effecting any kind of color-coding of things. Feh.
I was going to say they look like energy drink cans, but I think you're more on-target.
I like energy drinks. And cans.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Here's a really great Q&A session about the JD-Xi. Just like I predicted, there's more parameters in the menus and Pitch, Filter and Amp each have their own envelope and LFO settings. There's even pattern chaining, so it functions very much like a Groovebox. :D

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:04 am

This thing stomps Korg's new Electribe.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:20 am

supermel74 wrote:This thing stomps Korg's new Electribe.
But the JD-Xi is also $100 more, no? ;)

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:21 am

Aaron2 wrote:
supermel74 wrote:This thing stomps Korg's new Electribe.
But the JD-Xi is also $100 more, no? ;)
Not sure if it's accurate but I read somewhere that the JD-Xi had an msrp of $499 but the street price will be $399 which is the same as the Korg. Even if not true, the JD-Xi is still a better value. What I've heard about the new electribe has been mostly bad.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:48 pm

Re-Member wrote:Here's a really great Q&A session about the JD-Xi. Just like I predicted, there's more parameters in the menus and Pitch, Filter and Amp each have their own envelope and LFO settings. There's even pattern chaining, so it functions very much like a Groovebox. :D
Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm about to, thanks for the link!

And good thinking, I (and I'm sure several others as well) was thinking the same thing you mentioned in your other post. I mean, this wouldn't be the first synth where there was only one physical control for a certain something when there's really more there. Like there being only one set of physical oscillator controls on the Bass Station 2, for example. That doesn't mean there is only one OSC, you just have to press the button for OSC 2 (or for 1, if you're on 2). Obviously, this happens with many more sections on many other synths, that's just what came to mind first

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:18 am

This new Roland is very similar to an idea I once posted on VSE regarding the Yamaha DJX II
supermel74 wrote:Maybe if they had made it smaller, say 37 mini keys, and put the AN-200 "engine" in it they would have had something. Think AN-200 meets Microkorg complete with vocoder :o . I'd buy it :) .
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... x2#p437940

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:12 pm

Interesting to note that while this is actually Roland's first analog synth since 1986 (JX10) it's not getting much love on teh netz from the Roland whiners because of the way it's packaged in with the digital stuff.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.