Digital Re-Surgence: .Holy Grail?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Digital Re-Surgeance: Holy Grail?

Post by Zamise » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:58 pm

I'm by far no expert yet, but I'm thinking operator feedback is what makes me love certain DX FM guitar sounds so much, especially if it includes a sweeping HPF.

Is there a demo or anywhere we can hear that thing, Stabs? That could be an ultimate sleeper, an all digital modular. But yeah, where is the MCP (Master Control Program)? End of Line.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm

My holy grail is my command station obviously....

Still as my favorite synth and indeed there's no replace for it on my setup. I've owned around 20 or more synths after it, and still my battle horse. Even after getting a Prophet, the command station is my best sounding machine.
The Fizmo was the last synth from Ensoniq, and the Command Station, the first machine after ensoniq and emu melted into creative labs. They are pretty similar machines, but the fizmo is only for luxury processes, the command station works for everything. Is sound designer, sequencer, and midi controller. Solve the problems and deficiencies of other synths, comes in my help everyday, advice me on my sentimental relationships, wakes me up every day to go to work early, and rings an alarm when chickens enter my kitchen without my permission.
I think it also keeps my feet on earth and erase bad memories from my head. I have a fetish relationship with it.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:37 am

Fricking Waldorf Wave obviously! King of digital knobby synths (and wallet vampires too)
Or the OG PPG Wave 2.

btw Controlled digital feedback is amazing.
Some of the most messed up sounds I ever got are stereo digital guitar pedals with one output looped back to the input, usually with a low pass filter pedal as the control aspect.
Boss PS 5 is amazing for this with a moogerfooger lp. Set it to detune and fiddle with the delay, use the lowpass to tune the feedback a bit lower, it can tend to shoot up into pain territory.
Swirling geysers of ice.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:41 pm

I've been toying with the idea for a digital modular as well Stabs. That looks damn nice. Is it possible to move this to general synths so it doesn't get obliterated in Off-Topic?

Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 am

(Real quick cause I'm drinking at a bar) Digital Keyboards II+ w/ Kaypro II. Been getting into programming it lately (Thanks to Dan Wilson) each breakthrough feels like the first time. Exciting instrument. Yamaha V50. Very underrated, worth it opposed to the tx81z for the presets alone. Very underrated. I hope early digital comes back. I'll have more friends!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:52 am

calaverasgrande wrote: [...] PPG Wave 2.[...]
Same here. The Wave 2.0 (not 2.2 or 2.3, though they are nice) is one of the most amazing-sounding digital synthesisers I've ever owned and played.

When it comes to FM, in terms of playability I'd settle for a DX-1 or GS-1 but I wouldn't kick a Crumar GDS or a Synergy out of bed either.

Stpehen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:58 am

there is someone in the South Bay that keeps trying to sell a DK Synergy ever 3 months or so.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I'm loving all the digital modular gear that's been coming out recently, stuff like Braids, Mysteron, Echophon, Erbe Verb etc. I think it would be easy to have a completely digital modular system and be very happy with it now.
Stab Frenzy wrote: Image
I'm with this Stab Frenzy^. The digital eurorack coming out right now is off the chain. It has been for a while, bit now Oliver from Mutable Instruments is taking everything up a notch with his visionary imagination and amazing programming skills. The killer thing with euro, as well, is that you can combine as much digital and analog as you choose. Most stand-alone synths, are generally, heavily weighed to one side or the other, like a 99%>1% ratio. My euro set-up, for example is more like 70/30. The above pic is a perfect example of genius digital designs.

Also, calaverasgrande mentioned the Waldorf Wave, and along that line, I just heard the Waldorf Q for the first time about a month ago. I was floored! The sounds my buddy was getting were amazing, and very pleasing to my ears. Didn't have enough time to get into it at all, but I was very impressed.

Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:there is someone in the South Bay that keeps trying to sell a DK Synergy ever 3 months or so.
If it were a II+ I'd go down and get it right now. I couldn't really justify buying the preset version. Some of the presets are awesome, especially layered using the program function, but the amount of s**t you have to sort through to find the good ones is pretty heavy.

I got the Supermax mod for my Dx7 a while back. Really opened it up. Ive been getting some unique sounds out of it. Adds a stack mode w/detuning, arpeggiators, delay and you can save 512 patches to it. Makes it a new instrument to me

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:58 pm

calaverasgrande wrote:there is someone in the South Bay that keeps trying to sell a DK Synergy ever 3 months or so.
It's too expensive, and honestly, I'm not too keen on having it shipped across the Big Pond, with all the customs hassle and taxes and shipping costs and duties involved. An instrument that basically is nothing but a preset playback device and which can't be programmed to play my own sounds isn't worth it.

Finding a working Kaypro would be another challenge I'm not too keen on so off the II+ goes...

Thanks, but I'll pass.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Jabberwalky » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 pm

Has anyone bought one of these? http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php? ... jects.vcdo. It looks really cool. If enough people are interested we could group buy them.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Has anyone bought one of these? http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php? ... jects.vcdo. It looks really cool. If enough people are interested we could group buy them.
Frequency Central do a Euro VCDO using that PIC. http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/?page_id=629

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:03 pm

modcan digital oscillators
synthtech E-series
harvestman for grit&glitch

poly= DX1, wave, synclavier, neuron,
but those are expensive

JD800/990 in the middle with waldorf xt/blo
the ms2000 is probably still the cheapest way to get a foot in the full-knobby UI door, weedy filters be damned
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

seamonkey

Re: Digital Re-Surgence: .Holy Grail?

Post by seamonkey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:15 pm

It's only a matter of time before some of the early digital synths make a comeback.
All things move in cycles, who would've thought vinyl records would be making a comeback.
Don't throw those 8 tracks cartridges and players away either.... oops I doubt there are more than 3 left on the planet. lol

I still rue the day I sold my Minimoog Model D in 1995(for personal reasons) for a measly $500.

I still have my Roland D50 and Ensoniq VFX-SD in excellent condition which I purchased new when they were first released.
I dream of the day they will be going for outrageous $4-$5000USD on ebay. :lol:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Digital Re-Surgence: .Holy Grail?

Post by Jabberwalky » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:28 pm

You never know! Some of the parts in these early digital synths are becoming hard to find (mostly things like proprietary switches, pitch benders, slider caps, lcd screens etc.). When I was looking for a Dx7, they slowly went up to around $300 - $400, when they were going for $100-200 previously.