UPDATE: eBay Buyer from h**l!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Re: UPDATE: eBay Buyer from h**l!

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Hand this over to a lawyer asap. Don't let him get away with stealing and insulting you.
He may be psychotic - but that is not your fault and there is no reason you should suffer from his mental condition.

Just my 2 ct.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:40 pm

wow, this is the craziest thing I've ever heard....frightening in fact when it includes someone with extreme anger issues.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:50 pm

i would immeditaly serve them papers and take it to small claims. 99.99% of counties/cities make it available online. Also put in for travel, lodging, food, and lost wages.

I had to do this a few years ago after I refunded a seller who then refused to ship the item back or refund my refund(since I refunded then prior to an official complaint through Ebay I wasn't protected)

Once they were served , they inmedidtaly refunded the refund.

Good Luck
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:That handwriting...[...]
Crystal Meth, if you ask me.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:34 pm

I hate to say it but there's probably nothing that can be done that won't cost more than the machine is worth. Ebay probably won't help you and you'd pay a lawyer more than you'd get back. Not trying to make light of this, but I think this would make for a great episode of Judge Judy. http://www.judgejudy.com/submit_your_case

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Now, for the final insult. eBay has demanded that I give the buyer a refund anyway. Here's the note I received this morning:
eBay wrote:Dear Aaron,

We're contacting you about the Elektron drum machine (eBay Item #: 161556478190) that you recently sold. I reviewed your email, and I understand that the buyer returned the item to you, but the manual was bent, the box was punctured, the unit has scratches and you believe the unit has been opened. I also understand that you received a note in the box as well. I'm sorry to hear that this transaction didn't go as expected. Let me explain what happens next.

eBay does not grant appeals based on the condition of the buyer's return. I know that the issue with this return was not your fault, and I appreciate that you did your part to make things right with your buyer. These kinds of problems are rare, but every online seller will encounter them at some point or another, so I hope you're not too discouraged by the situation.

I also see that you reported the buyer with your concern. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to report this situation to us. This is necessary to prevent future issues like this from happening in the future. For security reasons, we can't disclose any actions that are taken on another member's account, but if the buyer is determined to pose a risk to the eBay community, we will respond appropriately.

As the drum machine has been returned back to you we are asking that you issue a full refund to your buyer by the end of day on 2/8. If the refund is not issued within this time frame the case will be closed with a full refund being issued to your buyer. You will not be credited the final value fees if eBay is required to issue this refund to your buyer.

I know this isn't the news you were hoping to hear. Thank you for your patience and cooperation, and I wish you the best on eBay going forward.

We appreciate your help and cooperation.

Thank you for choosing eBay,

Mindy D.

eBay Customer Service

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Call them - don't just email. This is nonsense. Get someone on the phone and make them answer directly to you; NOT just via email.

If it's not returned in the condition it was in originally, then it IS the buyers's fault.

I would also go to small claims court.

Good luck and keep us posted. Who is this guy again?

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Elektron kept records of serial numbers, which may help stop this thief in his tracks. It seems quite likely he planned to rip you off from the beginning (check his history - did he buy another Elektron unit in the past?) and all his ranting was a cover or to discourage you from pursuing action.
Last edited by Blue Monster 65 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Call them - don't just email. This is nonsense. Get someone on the phone and make them answer directly to you; NOT just via email.

If it's not returned in the condition it was in originally, then it IS the buyers's fault.

I would also go to small claims court.

Good luck and keep us posted. Who is this guy again?
I've spent tons and tons of time on the phone with these people. Tons. It doesn't help. I have had multiple e-mail exchanges, multiple phone calls, and provided photographic proof of everything. It didn't change a thing.

eBay now treats all sellers as big-box retailers. If a buyer ruins your stuff, well, that's just a "cost of doing business" according to eBay. It's total nonsense.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Sorry to hear that. You really should make others aware of who he is so they don't get screwed by him.

Maybe after all your other avenues are exhausted.
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 pm

Honestly, with the way the rules are so heavily geared towards the buyer on e-b-a-Y these days I have no idea how anybody could take that kind of risk by selling on there. Blatant abuse of the system on the part of the buyer with proof, and they are still telling you to pay? You are basically out the money and your gear now, and they hope you understand?

f**k that! Does the dude live anywhere near you? If it were me I'd be making a trip down and machinedrum him up side the head a few times.

Really sorry to hear about all of this Aaron. Hopefully you can still work something out so it's not a complete loss on your end

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:14 pm

I say don't give him the refund. Call his bluff and let him take legal action to get the refund back. The guy probably wouldn't last five seconds trying to rationalize the situation to the police without sounding like a total nutcase.

Digging through all the eBay violation rules, so far he's done the following:

- Members can't use profanity or vulgar language.
- Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing when the item condition is consistent with the listing description
- Not returning the item in the condition that it was sent to you (for example, returning a TV without the remote control)
- Returning an item that has been damaged after being delivered
- Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing in order to circumvent a seller's return policy

Seriously, let him take action. He has all this going against him and you have visual proof and email evidence of his psychotic behavior. There's no way he can win with this many strikes against him. Worse case scenario I see happening is that he chickens out on taking legal action due to his mental instability and you get your account suspended for a short period of time.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 pm

Problem is they already have his money. If it's anything like the last time I sold something on e-b-a-y, the funds are held until the buyer provides feedback. So whether he refunds it himself or not, they will just do the refund for him and then he is out the fees too.

The way e-b-a-y and paypal operate is borderline criminal if you ask me

Aaron2

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:33 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Problem is they already have his money. If it's anything like the last time I sold something on e-b-a-y, the funds are held until the buyer provides feedback. So whether he refunds it himself or not, they will just do the refund for him and then he is out the fees too.

The way e-b-a-y and paypal operate is borderline criminal if you ask me
eBay will debit may PayPal account. There's nothing I can do to stop the refund.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:41 pm

This situation is getting me a little heated, and I'm not even the one that's getting screwed over and ripped off!

After everything he said and did to you and you presenting proof of it, and all of his violations, they're like "lol sorry, you're the seller, so it's OK for this to happen to you, and you have to pay him! We hope you understand!" Really?? Who cares if it's "rare?" It's still not right. What would they have done if it was a similar situation in reverse? A lot more.

Really makes me not wanna sell anything on ebay ever again... they clearly give even less of a s**t about sellers than I thought

db0451

Post by db0451 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 pm

totally agree. i am currently being denied a refund on a faulty item from a seller who waited for the grace period to expire today and then reported ME before i woke up and could report them... so in this instance, i selfishly hope they side with the buyer! in reality, i want them to decide things on a case-by-case basis and rule in favour of the non-asshole, rather than assuming the buyer is always right, which we have seen is blatantly not always true at all. terrible state