Recommendations for eerie/warm analog sounds for psych-folk

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Re: Recommendations for eerie/warm analog sounds for psych-f

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:18 pm

incircles wrote:Everything I read about the Arp Odyssey praises its brassiness and "punk"ness. So maybe that's not the right way to go either?
If you listen to some demos, it's quite capable of gentler, warmer sounds as well - and anything with a ring modulator, oscillator sync, and oscillator cross-mod of both an oscillator and the filter has got you covered for weird/eerie.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:00 pm

alan partridge wrote:For this kind of eerie folky music I'd agree with the suggestion of mellotron -type sounds. In synth terms that means a stringer more than a monosynth. Particularly this one.

[youtube][/youtube]
Oh yes, PE-2000 Polyphonic Ensemble. How could I omit this (same with the Roland VP-330)? Spooky as h**l, especially the Chorus section.

Ages ago, I was rehearsing a concert with a friend of mine. We had three Mellotron M-400 which we intended to use onstage (but ultimately decided against that due to the hassle). I was playing a PE-2000, perched on top of a Mellotron, and my friend was wondering how I could get those sustained chords from the Tron... he was mistaking the Korg Chorus for a filtered Mellotron.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:51 pm

i have a manikin memotron and it's a really nice piece...maybe the best build quality of anything i have. I use it in my 3-piece rock combo; it sounds pretty stunning with a really good lowpass filter. The only drawback is the sounds are slow to load, being a sample-per-key. The upside is that it loads a 3-timbre patch with xfade wheras the 'original' M4000D is only 2 sounds at once.

plop a waldorf streichfett on top of it, you're in 70s heaven, especially with your outboard.
the little yamaha mixers fit nicely atop the memotron, too. i can mix everything myself including vocals this way.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

lowerlightsmusic

Post by lowerlightsmusic » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am

I go for a lot of the same sounds you are describing. I have a Juno 106, Minibrute and Moog Rogue. I've also got Space Echo and Leslie. I've been able to dial in some pretty cool murky/spacey sounds that work in the an acoustic setting with the Minibrute, Space Echo and a Moog low pass filter. I just got the Moog Rogue, and I kinda think it blows the Minibrute away, though the Minibrute has some decent sounds. Someone mentioned the Realistic MG-1, which is basically the same thing as the Rogue, but with the added poly organ section. I had one, and they are pretty cool. For those psych-folk sounds, I'd run EVERYTHING through analog/tape delay.

I've found that the Juno 106 and Minibrute really open with the Moog LPF. If you are shopping for several toys, I would put that one on the list. In fact, most of the Moog pedals are versatile pedals that work well for guitar and synth. Another cool toy would be a Casio SK1. It has an 8 bit sampler, portamento and you can build your own sounds.

Finally, I really dig those reed organ sounds. I've got a Silvertone from the 60's that has an internal tube amp. It is noisy, wheezy and perfect for Tom Waits style sounds. I'm in love with it. I'd watch craigslist for something like that. I paid $20 for mine. Stay away from the plastic table top models. There is such a thing as TOO broken and out-of-tune.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:46 am

This is not analog, but probably as weird/ eerie as they come: track down a Fizmo. Yes, to take full advantage of controlling every parameter you will need to get the software editor going, but there are still tons of knobs, and a lot of the parameters you can't access are things like envelope curves, filter mode options, and stuff like that. Just playing the synth and twisting the F-I-Z-M-O knobs will bring instant eeire sound modulation, and the transwaves are totally obscure and evolving with tons of subtle dissonance, not to mention you can stack tons of them on top of each other and tweak the tunings and what not.

As someone who owns an odyssey, it can be eerie, probably not as stunningly as the fizmo, but it will definitly be warmer and thicker. The two synths I seem to use for eerieness aside from the fiz are actually the sh101 and the korg m1. People hate both of them on here for one reason or another, but I like them for eerieness not because of any one feature, but because the way the oscilators and filters sound together just lends them to do eerie sounds well.

Keep in mind also, a huge component of what will sound eerie comes from the nature of the melody and supporting harmonies you play. Sometimes the most simple sounds can be the most eerie (eerie meaning not just wierd, but haunting)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

natrixgli
Gear: USB Hub, Pedalboard, Keyboard Stand, and many cables.
Band: Suboscillator

Post by natrixgli » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:42 am

Whatever you get, get a Strymon Deco pedal to run it through. It's a tape saturation / double tracker effect that sounds really nice on just about anything. It has a 'wobble' parameter that adds pitch fluctuations and tweaking the lag time parameter gently gives you that tape player with a bad motor sound. It doesn't get more eerie than unstable tape!

I agree Mellotron would be nice. Maybe a Blofeld keys, you can load it with some mellotron samples and it does pretty good VA plus some nice digital stuff as well. If you want more knobs and 100% more ugly, go for the Studiologic Sledge which just got a new OS with a bunch of cool new features (including sample playback)

Either of those would be a good complement to a mostly acoustic band I think.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:47 am

I second the Deco. I thought it'd be overkill with my el Capistan, but it's perfect for a tiny touch of tape saturation and "movement" on top of a track.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:09 pm

Effects are also very important when it comes to giving the sound an extra quality. I enjoy using a Roland tape delay or an early, grotty BBD delay coupled with a lo-fi spring reverb (Evans Echopet) -- that makes a sound become really otherworldly.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

incircles

Post by incircles » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:18 pm

Thanks to everyone so far for being so helpful. It's going to take me a little while to process all of this... This forum and the people on it are fantastic.

DrTyrrell

Post by DrTyrrell » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:15 am

alan partridge wrote:For this kind of eerie folky music I'd agree with the suggestion of mellotron -type sounds. In synth terms that means a stringer more than a monosynth. Particularly this one.
Sweet sounds from the 70's

mute

Post by mute » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:08 pm

run a ms-20 through a multi-stage pitch shifter (for example @ +0, +4, +7 semitones) or an auto-chorder/harmonizer.. add some glide, drop some reverb on it, and it can be nice and nostaligc and/or eerie depending on the notes, ex (this is more nostalgic-y, ala BoC) : http://www.lazytrap.com/mp3/ms20chords.mp3

then again.. you can do that on pretty much anything, but the source tone def counts for something :)

incircles

Post by incircles » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 am

mute wrote:run a ms-20 through a multi-stage pitch shifter (for example @ +0, +4, +7 semitones) or an auto-chorder/harmonizer.. add some glide, drop some reverb on it, and it can be nice and nostaligc and/or eerie depending on the notes, ex (this is more nostalgic-y, ala BoC) : http://www.lazytrap.com/mp3/ms20chords.mp3

then again.. you can do that on pretty much anything, but the source tone def counts for something :)
i didn't even think about an auto-chorder. sigh. second wave of purchases. :)

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 am

Start with a Streichfett. Cheap. Good.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/streichfett-overview

Or Mellotron samples in a hardware sampler?

incircles

Post by incircles » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Cybercardinal wrote:Start with a Streichfett. Cheap. Good.

http://www.waldorf-music.info/streichfett-overview

Or Mellotron samples in a hardware sampler?
I've got Mellotron samples, and they're great. Didn't care much for the Waldorf, though -- seemed a bit synthetic and unsubtle. Ended up ordering an SK-20 and I can't wait!