New Roland ANALOG/DIGITAL JD-XA "Flagship" Synth -NAMM 2015

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

New Roland ANALOG/DIGITAL JD-XA "Flagship" Synth -NAMM 2015

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 pm

[ Edit ] Ok I found the mentions of it in the other thread from early this morning, but as that is mostly discussing the Xi this synth probably deserves it's own thread? IF NOT - mods please delete, I'm fine with that. :lol:

Details still sparse, see the massive gearslutz thread for lots of photos and all that's known at this point:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... oah-6.html

Digital *AND* REAL analog (early indications are 4 voice poly for analog 128 for digital - 2 osc analog 3/4 osc digital) - digital goes through digital filters, analog goes through analog filters (if like JD-Xi) - unconfirmed.

Note it has TWO MOD Wheels as well as the traditional Roland bender/Mod stick! Very nice.

The unit is most likely a prototype and the shiny fingerprint magnet surface may change? It's only 4 octaves but Draven5 on the scene said it looks like a Flagship and better in reality (not as dusty looking).

Apologies if posted already couldn't see it mentioned in the Namm thread, only the toy like JD-Xi mini key thing.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: New Roland ANALOG/DIGITAL JD-XA "Flagship" Synth -NAMM 2

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:13 pm

Draven5 posted a line out audio sample of the JD-X*i* (the little brother) - the ANALOG part and filter.. sounds pretty good? If the JD-XA is 4 of these then... bring it on!

JD-Xi ANALOG sound - LINE OUT - JD-XA should sound at least as good?

Analog osc through filter then various effects.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Sounds great.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:42 pm

Looks like it has a sequencer too? Depending on price and sound, Roland may have to just take some of my money and my forgiveness for long years of baffling choices. Maybe.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:07 pm

49 keys, wall wart :---)

4 voices of analog =D>

Music Radar blurb
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm convinced I'm already gonna buy one. :lol: The control (inc the wheels AND stick) the layout, the sound possibilities...

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:48 pm

The JD-Xi sounds good to my ears and if the Xa flagship has 4 analog voices then I'm going to preorder as soon as its listed. Since its a prototype, I suspect its going to be a while before we can get our hands on it.

Solyaris

Post by Solyaris » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:31 pm

Damn it, looks like I very well may have to buy something by Roland again. I don't know how I feel about having all of those lights in my face though. It'd be nice if you could turn them off.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:35 pm

I was thinking it would be nice if they gave color options for the lights...
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Pro5 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:53 pm

Those lights are actually very functional, many is the time I had to peer and squint at my JD-800 sliders on the lower stand to see what I was reaching for. And as most of us synth nuts like low level lighting, JD-XA sorts that problem! love it.

I use LED lights above my synths to light the panels up at the moment but no need with this Xmas tree synth! :lol:

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 pm

StepLogik wrote: Since its a prototype, I suspect its going to be a while before we can get our hands on it.
Yeah, that's what I'm also afraid of. It's not gonna be anytime soon.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:56 pm

i hate it

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Price and when it will be in stores are the big questions. I thought I was past buying any more hardware but the Xi has me interested and if the Xa does all that plus poly analog (even if only 4 voice), it's on my radar.

Like I wrote before, let's hope Roland doesn't screw it up too much :shock:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:20 pm

I am very pleased to present you a beatmaking demo recorded on the prototype of the latest Roland synthesizer, the JD-X, which is a revolutionary instrument that combines elements of digital and analog synthesis, in a completely different style than ever before. The instrument provides us with 4 sections: 2 with digital synthesis, 1 with analog synthesis and 1 beat machine section. Additionally the device is enriched with an intuitive and very easy to use step sequencer and vocoder. The instrument sounds surprisingly good, it's dynamic, has great space, the sounds stick great during mixing and are extremely flexible. As for the presets, the developers from Roland worked hard over the instrument to make the sounds intact with the latest trends. Here we find well-programmed sound styles such as trap, hip hop, rnb, dubstep and electronic music widely understood. There is no room for coincidence! The instrument is great both in the studio and on stage thanks to the step sequencer we do not need anything else for production! This is definitely a great tool, which I can strongly recommend!

Best Regards
Tom Kucharski
http://www.diginoiz.com
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:43 pm

It seems odd to me that Roland would use the term "flagship" to describe this synthesizer, since it's always applied that term to its Jupiter 80. And pricewise, I expect this synth to come in at a much lower price point than the 80 (which lists at $3,999). So how is this a "flagship"?

Thoughts?