Prophet 6

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Prophet 6

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Unashamedly stolen from GS thread posted a few minutes ago. Source? No idea. But DAMN.

Anaheim, CA—January 20, 2015—Dave Smith today announced the Sequential Prophet-6, a new 6-voice synthesizer with an all-analog signal path and discrete VCOs and filters.

Auspiciously branded with Smith’s recently reacquired original company name, the new instrument is aimed squarely at musicians in search of vintage tone with the reliability of modern technology. Said Smith: “The Prophet-6 is a tribute to the original poly-synth that started it all—the Sequential Prophet-5. But more importantly, it’s the culmination of our effort to build the most awesome- sounding, modern analog poly-synth possible.” Added Smith: “It’s not a reissue, it’s vintage with a modern twist.”

The Prophet-6 features two newly-designed, discrete voltage-controlled oscillators (plus sub-oscillator) per voice, with continuously variable waveshapes (triangle, sawtooth, and variable-width pulse). There are two discrete filters per voice: a four-pole, resonant, low-pass inspired by the original Prophet 5 filter; plus a two-pole, resonant, high- pass filter. Voltage-controlled VCAs complete the all-analog signal path. “Our new VCOs, VCAs and filters give the Prophet-6 terrific warmth and presence,” said Smith. “The classic, big, punchy analog poly sound is all here.”

Also present from its classic predecessor is the much-loved Poly Mod section, albeit with enhancements. True to the original, modulation sources are filter envelope and oscillator 2 (both with bi-polar control). Destinations however, have been expanded to include oscillator 1 frequency, oscillator 1 shape, oscillator 1 pulse width, low-pass filter cutoff, and high-pass filter cutoff. Another welcome reprise is Unison mode, which features configurable voice count (1-6 voices) and key modes.

The knob-per-function front panel is free of menu-diving, offering immediate access to virtually all parameters. Toggling off the Preset switch enables live panel mode, in which the sound of the instrument switches to the current settings of its knobs and switches. “We wanted to make the Prophet-6 as fast and easy to navigate as possible. Switch off Preset and what you see is what you hear,” said Smith.

A significant enhancement to the original design is a dual-effects section with studio-quality reverbs, delays (including BBD and tape emulation), chorus and phase shifter. While the effects themselves are digital, with full 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution, a true bypass function maintains a fully analog signal path when the effects are off. An independent stereo distortion effect is 100% analog.

Additionally, the Prophet-6 features a multimode arpeggiator and a polyphonic step sequencer. The sequencer provides up to 64 notes with rests, allows real-time polyphonic input, and can sync to external MIDI clock.

The full-size, four-octave, semi-weighted keyboard is velocity and aftertouch sensitive. “We empathize with the gigging musician,” said Smith, “so we made size and weight a primary concern on the Prophet-6. We think it’s an ideal mix of portability and power.”

With regard to the resurgence of analog synths in recent years, Smith had this to say: “I still hear some people say they don’t build them like they used to. I disagree. I think we build them better—and the Prophet-6 is our proof.”
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

alan partridge

Re: Prophet 6

Post by alan partridge » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Holy Balls.

!!
Last edited by alan partridge on Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:10 pm

DSI has posted a 5 minute intro video of it on their youtube account aswell. So it's real at least. I'm not exactly thrilled at the news of YET ANOTHER 2vco analog recreation from the past. I guess it's fine for musicians who owned one 30 years ago and miss theirs.

[youtube][/youtube]

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:14 pm

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Very nice indeed.

philip

Post by philip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: He's done it

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Holy frig. I thought he'd never get over his infatuation with DCOs. Any word on pricing?
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:21 pm

this is right up my alley.

was fixing to get a Pro 2 but this fits my needs better.

+ i was always a sucker for that Sequential font.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm

Now we are talking :D
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:22 pm

I'd guess $3000+

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Sweet! Like the DSI take on the A6, very similar specs it seems.

Poly step sequencer!

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:27 pm

played it last week when working on some patches for NAMM for it... reminded me so much of my prophet 5 ... this is the real deal ...

philip

Post by philip » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:29 pm

matia wrote:played it last week when working on some patches for NAMM for it... reminded me so much of my prophet 5 ... this is the real deal ...

Tell us more

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:30 pm

matia wrote:played it last week when working on some patches for NAMM for it... reminded me so much of my prophet 5 ... this is the real deal ...

It looks gorgeous. Love that the Sequential logo is on it.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:32 pm

I wonder if it's a synth for nostalgics only, though. Although there are plenty of them out there.

But for me, who never owned or played a Prophet-5, hmmm. Sceptical. And I already have an A6 8-)