Prophet 6

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jonasbjarki
Gear: |DSI-MEK|DSI-PRO-2|DSI-Tempest|MS-20|Matrix 1000|VolcaKeys|RX-5|

Re: Prophet 6

Post by jonasbjarki » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:04 pm

The Specs on the DSI site don't list a relatch function, but DSI replied to me on FB and assured me that the unit does indeed have relatch, like on the Mopho x4. Right on!

"Þú getur tekið strákinn úr Breiðholtinu, en þú getur aldrei tekið Breiðholtið úr stráknum."

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Good luck getting vintage out of a brand new synth that uses brand new, modern, components.

Be happy that he's releasing a modern VCO polysynth larger than 4 voices for under $3k USD. Approach it as a new synth and staaaaahp with the endless attempts to equate it to a Prophet 5. Blimey. You lot will find any reason to whine about anything.

echo 1 > /dev/awesome

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 pm

silikon wrote:Be happy that he's releasing a modern VCO polysynth larger than 4 voices for under $3k USD. Approach it as a new synth and staaaaahp with the endless attempts to equate it to a Prophet 5. Blimey. You lot will find any reason to whine about anything.
I knew someone would write something like this. Look, I think it's FANTASTIC that this product exists, especially at this price point. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes, and people will make a lot of great music with it. I'm not complaining or whining about anything. I may even get it myself and unload my Prophet 5 in the process -- I'd LOVE an extra voice, MIDI, and all the various bells and whistles that it brings to the table.

But from what I'm hearing so far -- just internet demos, obviously -- it doesn't really have the "vintage tone" that is a key feature of the marketing of this synth, nor do the filters sound very much like the "original Prophet," which is another key feature of the marketing (in other words, up to a point, Dave Smith is himself trying to "equate" it to a Prophet 5).

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Dave Smith said the P6 had the same filter as the Pro2 however each to their own. As for me, I'm gonna buy it "WYSIWYG" suits me fine. The synth sounds top notch to my ears just like the Pro2 did so I'll have this one too.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 pm

rob_lee wrote:Dave Smith said the P6 had the same filter as the Pro2.
Right -- but he has also said that that filter "was inspired by" or "modeled on" the "original" Prophet (i.e., the rev1/2, with the SSM chips).

I agree, of course, that all of this technical mumbo-jumbo doesn't really matter if it sounds good!

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:04 pm

CfNorENa wrote:
silikon wrote:Be happy that he's releasing a modern VCO polysynth larger than 4 voices for under $3k USD. Approach it as a new synth and staaaaahp with the endless attempts to equate it to a Prophet 5. Blimey. You lot will find any reason to whine about anything.
I knew someone would write something like this. Look, I think it's FANTASTIC that this product exists, especially at this price point. I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes, and people will make a lot of great music with it. I'm not complaining or whining about anything. I may even get it myself and unload my Prophet 5 in the process -- I'd LOVE an extra voice, MIDI, and all the various bells and whistles that it brings to the table.

But from what I'm hearing so far -- just internet demos, obviously -- it doesn't really have the "vintage tone" that is a key feature of the marketing of this synth, nor do the filters sound very much like the "original Prophet," which is another key feature of the marketing (in other words, up to a point, Dave Smith is himself trying to "equate" it to a Prophet 5).
I think you should do an impartial test; procure a P6, and sit the both side-by-side, you know, for science. I'd offer up if my studio wasn't obliterated at this point in my life. I deplore marketing tactics. I look at the 'vintage tone' marketing to be "Hey, this has a VCO, it's gonna drift like 'Fast and Furious'", and the filter ... perhaps the same circuit, so there's that equation.

Well, I don't know anymore. Such a subjective concept anyhow; one person hears vintage tone, the other hears cold and sterile. If I can ever recoup the losses of the last two years, I'll certainly get one -- but not because it possesses some magical vintage voodoo... but due to the fact that thus far, I've enjoyed the vast majority of Dave's recent instruments (and still pine to get a Poly Evolver back... God I loved that synth</digress>).

I do agree with the sentiment that it doesn't sound too vintage. I'm kind of happy about that, myself. I'm of the mindset that we need more 'different' and less re-hash anyhow.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:06 pm

You know why it doesn't sound "vintage"? Because it isn't.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:13 pm

CfNorENa wrote: I agree, of course, that all of this technical mumbo-jumbo doesn't really matter if it sounds good!
Exactly! If it sounds good to the user then that's all that matters. The BIG thing for me as I repeat again is the "WYSIWYG" that's a massive plus for straight up hands on control, as for sounds... well I never blame my tools :-)

For me the PROPHET 6 is the highlight of NAMM 2015.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:19 pm

You people in the US can get your pre orders in at the JRR Shop at $2799

PROPHET 6 PRE ORDER

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 pm

I've always been underwhelmed by the sound of DSI stuff, but the sound of the Prophet 6 from what we can hear does inspire a distant glimmer of swooning... There's something very different about how this sounds compared to the DSI stuff. I like it. Might just be the VCO's?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:22 pm

rob_lee wrote:
CfNorENa wrote: I agree, of course, that all of this technical mumbo-jumbo doesn't really matter if it sounds good!
Exactly! If it sounds good to the user then that's all that matters. The BIG thing for me as I repeat again is the "WYSIWYG" that's a massive plus for straight up hands on control, as for sounds... well I never blame my tools :-)

For me the PROPHET 6 is the highlight of NAMM 2015.
I actually believe it when Dave says, "everyone already knows how to play it". I may be jumping the gun, but I feel a great deal of attraction to this synth. I too have been pining to get a Jupiter 6 again, but this actually changes the game. I know the two are different synths with a different palette and all that, but part of the beauty of the JP-6 is how intuitive it is to play. I can very easily imagine grooving for hours in the same way with the new P-6. It even has an ARP trigger in. I can feel the mojo, just from the videos.

When I think about the P-6, which could come with a warranty, customer support, and modern specs compared to a 30+ year old Jupiter, it certainly causes me to think twice.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:30 pm

Walter Ego wrote: I actually believe it when Dave says, "everyone already knows how to play it". I may be jumping the gun, but I feel a great deal of attraction to this synth.
Yeah the attraction was instant for me too on this just as it was with the pro2. I wasn't gonna buy nothing else this year but Mr Smith changed my mind when he unveiled this one lol..

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:05 pm

i guess its understood that the egs & lfo will be digital. i wonder if theres only one lfo for the synth or if its per voice, though i dont imagine independent lfos would matter to much except for sample & hold. as long as the egs are faster than the 600's

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:31 pm

moremagic wrote:as long as the egs are faster than the 600's
they definitely sound fast from the demos, although I never found the P-600s envelopes to be especially slow to begin with (especially compared to other mid-80s ana--digi hybrid stuff).
Do you even post on vse bro?

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:43 pm

moremagic wrote:i guess its understood that the egs & lfo will be digital. i wonder if theres only one lfo for the synth or if its per voice, though i dont imagine independent lfos would matter to much except for sample & hold. as long as the egs are faster than the 600's
I'm curious, where did you hear this? It doesn't say anything about it on their site, and I didn't hear anything about it in the various NAMM videos.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73