Prophet 6

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Re: Prophet 6

Post by chimney chop » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:48 am

depulse wrote:
pflosi wrote:Well, what would you want to be updated?
Add a multi timbral mode, for example or at least a way to double or split the six voices.

In any case, there will be some hidden functions anyway, there is a global button for setting MIDI channels, etc.

I really like the design, but I would have prefered a small screen for naming patches. Having a purely number readout was O k when you only had a few storage slots, with hundreds one has to have a separate way to track what is stored where. One aspect of vintage I do not miss. Other than that, I am happy Dave brought back Sequential.
goes against the nature of the instrument though.

its simplicity is its beauty, limitations and all.

start adding bells and whistles and you might as well get a Prophet 12

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:45 am

I played the Prophet 6 for about 30 minutes under headphones at NAMM on Sunday. It is amazing. Then I played the Pro2 for 30 minutes under headphones. It is also amazing, but in a different way. The two together would RULE ALL OF SYNTHDOM! Within a few seconds of playing both at the same time, I'm pretty sure we would make first contact with the Vulcans or something.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:05 pm

b3groover wrote:Then I played the Pro2 for 30 minutes under headphones. It is also amazing, but in a different way. The two together would RULE ALL OF SYNTHDOM! Within a few seconds of playing both at the same time, I'm pretty sure we would make first contact with the Vulcans or something.
This is what I like to hear, can't wait to try the Prophet 6 out in store. I think it should sit nicely alongside my Pro2 this summer :D

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:14 am

rob_lee wrote:
b3groover wrote:Then I played the Pro2 for 30 minutes under headphones. It is also amazing, but in a different way. The two together would RULE ALL OF SYNTHDOM! Within a few seconds of playing both at the same time, I'm pretty sure we would make first contact with the Vulcans or something.
This is what I like to hear, can't wait to try the Prophet 6 out in store. I think it should sit nicely alongside my Pro2 this summer :D
Make sure you warn us before you play them both together, please. I'd like to confirm my affairs are in order in case you kick off The End Days.

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:48 pm

b3groover wrote:Make sure you warn us before you play them both together, please. I'd like to confirm my affairs are in order in case you kick off The End Days.
They sound that good together eh? very nice just as I'd imagined. Can't wait to try the P6 in store now hehe

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:31 pm

I am going to be demonstrating this synth.

I played it more than any other synth at NAMM, and I am overwhelmed with joy about it.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:37 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am going to be demonstrating this synth.

I played it more than any other synth at NAMM, and I am overwhelmed with joy about it.
Good to hear Marc!

Care to give us the beef on the oscillators and the slop function? Without it are they DCO-like stable, or something less?
Do you even post on vse bro?

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 pm

demonstrating as in making one of your great videos, or demonstrating it at commercial gathering?
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 pm

Oh please tell me you're going to do a video series.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:31 pm

I'm sure there will be a proper video series, describing oscillators, filters, AND what he ate for breakfast :)

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:49 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I am going to be demonstrating this synth.

sweet.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:32 am

This synth is awesome! Dave finally came through! And with the proper Sequential name too!! God, this is wonderful!! :D

Nice transition, I could go from a Sequential Multi-Trak to a Sequential Prophet 6..

I'm glad I got outbid on an ebay Prophet 600 a few weeks ago..

I like Dave's animated hand gestures in his product videos :)

rob_lee
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by rob_lee » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:55 pm

SeventhStar wrote:I like Dave's animated hand gestures in his product videos :)

:D

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Wow, I've had the Prophet-6 in my gearlist for years. Now I anxiously await the Jupiter-7 and Juno-50...
Monkey business since 2007!

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:22 pm

I was looking at the connections this thing has, & the biggest difference from the P5 is the lack of cv, considering at least a few rev 3.3's left the factory with midi. instead of cv & gate ins & outs, theres an expression in for the filter. now, why wouldn't the Prophet 6 have cv patch points, especially after seeing how DSI is dipping a toenail into modular even? And why would Dave Smith, a synth designer whose major accomplishments have all been about interfacing digital controls & then digital sound sources into analog/hybrid systems, switch to discrete vcos & vcfs?
I think he's copying the polysix, specifically its discrete, linear tracking oscillators. The evidence suggests that would be the way to go, because Mr. Smith has always been a stickler for tuning stability, and getting rid of the exponential convertors that provide V/oct response would be the easiest way to get stable VCOs, which is why korg went that route when knocking off the Prophet 5 a lifetime ago. given that the thing has 2 resonant filters per voice, i would suppose the same logic went into making them discrete smt designs as well