Which Odyssey color?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Which Korg Arp Oddysey color scheme version do you prefer?

MK I White and Black "the Ikea"
44%
MK II Black and Gold "the Studio 54".
8%
MK III Black and Orange "the Halloween".
48%

Total votes: 86

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Re: Which Odyssey color?

Post by calaverasgrande » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:37 pm

FWIW those 'no interest' financing offers are similar to the Barclaycard no interest financing for Apple products (how I bought my cylinder Mac Pro).
from the Novamusik site;
"No interest will be charged on the promo purchase if you pay the promo purchase amount in full within the designated number of months in the promo ad. If you do not, interest will be charged on the promo purchase from the purchase date. Depending on purchase amount, promotion length, and payment allocation, the required minimum monthly payments may or may not pay off purchase by end of promotional period. Regular account terms apply to non-promotional purchases and, after promotion ends, to promotional balance. For new accounts: Purchase APR is 29.99%. Minimum Interest Charge is $2. Existing cardholders should see their credit card agreement for their applicable terms. Subject to credit approval."
I'm pretty sure any such offer from other etailers is the same. This is why I stick with AMS and Sweetwater for the 3 pay/5 pay type of plans. It forces you to pony up an exact amount which is debited from the card you gave at purchase on regular monthly intervals. With credit cards you can defer paying off a large sensible amount due to whatever monthly 'emergencies' get in the way. Then the 12 months runs out and you are caught holding the bag for the total interest due. In fact the credit companies count on this, or else it would not be profitable.
There is no interest in the 3 pay plan at Sweetwater or the equivalent at AMS.

I use credit cards from time to time, but in general I am pretty much opposed to them and their predatory practices. Mostly because I ran up a nice bill on my cards in the late 90's that took me years to pay down after my business failed post 9-11. I really think there should be a one semester course in high school to educate kids about credit cards, contracts, loans etc.

Anyway caveat emptor as per usual.
(it wouldnt be a VSE forum topic if we did not digress)
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 pm

I totally agree with you regarding credit cards, but you can't teach a course in human nature, and it's human nature to procrastinate or put the amount due out of your mind. The old, out of sight out of mind saying is easy to fall into.

I learned at an early age in my married life to pay a bit more than the minimum payment due plus add the interest charge as part of the payment. Too many people think the minimum is all they need worry about, and then they wonder why their wheels are spinning and the card never gets paid off.

I voted for the white face odyssey... :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 am

I forget which one, but one of the retailers was showing an 8 payment plan that was not a credit line. You provide a credit/debit card, and it was automatically deducted. No credit check, and no interest, etc. if I were to do a payment thing, that's the way I'd go.

Though I'm actually more interested in snagging an MS20M. It just seems more useful to me if I decide to get an analog something.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:40 am

Of course, you have to be careful when using credit cards. I bought a MacBook Pro in December and put it on the Barclay's card for the 12-month deferred interest payment plan. I bought my previous MacBook from Sweetwater and got an 18-month deferred interest deal. In the early 90's I took a $5000 credit card cash advance deferred interest offer and bought a Roland S770. Never had any problems. I would never take up any of these deals if I wasn't sure I could pay it off by the end of the term.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:54 am

The black/gold one looks really hard to read the writing on in bad lighting. And my apartment has constantly bad lighting :D

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:31 am

Bitexion wrote:The black/gold one looks really hard to read the writing on in bad lighting. And my apartment has constantly bad lighting :D
So Bitexion needs to buy a lamp first, THEN buy some synths :)

jayrope
Gear: stuff.
Band: bands.

Post by jayrope » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Just got the white resissue. Great synth, and perfect for bad light conditions, too.

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:17 am

Did Korg stop making the full size version of the Odyssey? Even though the Arp Odyssey FS still appears on Korg's website, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. If the "limited edition" has reached its limit, then why is it still on the Korg website?

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthes ... dyssey_fs/

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Korg seems to be slow to remove products from the site. I recall the Radias was shown for about a year after it was no longer being sold.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Funny, I never noticed this thread when it was active. I bought a floor model Karp Oddy at GC and it's black-orange, so I'll go with the color scheme of the one I own. I did used to own a Jupiter 8 though, so maybe that's why I find it satisfactory.

Also the talk about full size keys made me want to comment: I've had my mini-keys Oddy for a year now and think they are fine, but I'm no virtuoso keyboardist. The mini-keys make a strange rubbery swish noise when I press them, and I kind of like their unusual, slightly squishy action. Only missing feature I'd like is having vibrato over Midi modwheel control.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.