FutureSonus Parva--an Affordable Analog Poly

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Re: An affordable Analog Poly

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

I think this could be a viable product. He'll obviously need to produce more demos, but at least two of them ("stabby chords" and esp. "mellow pads") sounded great to me. Very smooth, very warm.*

* I almost got kicked out of gearslutz for suggesting that these demos sounded better to me than those of another analog polysynth that was recently announced to huge fanfare... :lol:

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Chewy wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:It has 3 VCOs, but how many voices does it have? Does that spec suggest a 3-voice synth (like, say, the Korg Volca Keys)?
They're actually DCOs, and the site says up to 8 voice polyphony, so I'm thinking it's probably 3 OSC/voice
If so, it'll sound huge.

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Aaron2 wrote:
Chewy wrote:
Aaron2 wrote:It has 3 VCOs, but how many voices does it have? Does that spec suggest a 3-voice synth (like, say, the Korg Volca Keys)?
They're actually DCOs, and the site says up to 8 voice polyphony, so I'm thinking it's probably 3 OSC/voice
If so, it'll sound huge.
Yep! I'm really hoping that's the case. Also, I think I read on the site that there's different OSC/voice modes; a 24 OSC unison mode would be great

Also, to people saying it looks like some of Waldorf's products/doesn't have enough knobs: I don't really get that. Waldorf's thing (now, at least) is the matrix with a few knobs at the bottom (I think that's what you're referring to). That's not bad, but this is different, it has more knobs, and while not exactly knob per function, is closer. I'm sure it won't be hard to change from OSC 1 to 2 or 3, or EG 1 to a different one, or LFO 1 to a different one, etc. It's all about personal preference, but this synth looks far from lacking hands-on control.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:That's a slick trick if it's for real.
I think the "trick" might be that there is only one dual filter for all 8 voices; no filter/voice.
Ok, so it's definitely 1 filter/voice. Think this looks very promising!!!
Do you even post on vse bro?

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:21 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
I think the "trick" might be that there is only one dual filter for all 8 voices; no filter/voice.
So doesn't that mean it's "paraphonic"? *runs and hides, cackling with laughter* :lol:

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:45 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Actually, according to a q/a with the creator, it's technically two 12db/oct filters per voice. They can be stacked for 24db/oct, and selected for hp or lp. They're hard wired in series.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:43 pm

CfNorENa wrote:I think this could be a viable product. He'll obviously need to produce more demos, but at least two of them ("stabby chords" and esp. "mellow pads") sounded great to me. Very smooth, very warm.*

* I almost got kicked out of gearslutz for suggesting that these demos sounded better to me than those of another analog polysynth that was recently announced to huge fanfare... :lol:
I had a more immediately positive reaction to these demos as well. Kinda sharp-sounding, but nice in any case.

The design's okay, but a bit odd. I'm looking for something that I could place next to my computer keyboard or even on top of a MIDI controller (I'd really, really like to be able to do that), so a "letterbox" design instead of a square could have been better. For my purposes I think even a triangle would be better!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:05 pm

CfNorENa wrote:* I almost got kicked out of gearslutz for suggesting that these demos sounded better to me than those of another analog polysynth that was recently announced to huge fanfare... :lol:
uh, that comment is a bit out there to compare the P6 with this analog.
But we all hear things a bit differently, and you are most certainly free to express your opinion.

Considering it was the gearslutz crowd, I think you would've been better served by limiting your comment to you liked the sound of it. :lol:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 am

http://futureson.us/blog/2015/01/27/par ... w-diagram/

https://www.facebook.com/Futuresonus

This certainly looks interesting. I'm guessing the small enclosure/limited knobs has a lot to do with price. Whack a set of keys and some knobs on something and you seem to push the price up 50 % .

The size of the font on those LEDs is quite small...

I'm surprised that such a small company is offering such a product.

From what I've heard I think it sounds pretty good. I hope that this small company manages to pull the thing off! It's about time someone released a decent affordable analog poly with more then 4 voices. Also looks like it will be easy to edit from the front panel (hopefully). Looking forward to learning more about it.

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:31 am

Also looks like it has flexible keyboard splits. Dave Smith better watch out This product may threaten his tetra and mopho x4!

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Futuresonus Parva Preview

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:46 am

He's not the greatest keys player of time, but at least we know its legit.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Re: Futuresonus Parva Preview

Post by Walter Ego » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:13 am

Synthtopia reports that it's supposed to come in under 1K. Um...is this what we've been waiting for? 3 Osc DCO Poly? Granted, it's a desktop module...but it looks pretty cool. Sounds nice and looks very flexible.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Chewy
Gear: Alpha Juno 2, Bass Station 2, CZ-5000, DW-8000, DR-660, EA1 mk2, ES1 mk2, JP-8000, Monotribe, R-100, SH-32,
Band: Soundtrack to Psychosis

Post by Chewy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:54 am

^Indeed, it looks like it'll be a nice synth. I don't mind that it's a desktop module; in fact, I actually kinda like it. Saves a little space

madmarkmagee
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Post by madmarkmagee » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 am

Yea, as a player I'm definitely considering this and may sell my tetra to help fund it. Its about time someone designed a product like this. Sure its not knob rich, but it looks like you can edit it easily from the front panel. It has 8 voices :D . Much better then 4. 4 is a terrible number. If your going to do four you might as well make it 5.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:01 pm

New Video
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."