casio sk-1, very quiet output

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
incircles

casio sk-1, very quiet output

Post by incircles » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:05 am

i found an sk-1 for $70 at a nearby music store and figured it was worth a try. the flute sound is gorgeous and the sampling feature is fun, if not overly useful. problem is that the line out is really low. is this just characteristic of the sk-1 or is the one i got busted? the onboard speakers have the volume i'd expect.

lowerlightsmusic

Re: casio sk-1, very quiet output

Post by lowerlightsmusic » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:49 am

I hadn't plugged mine in for a while, so I just fired it up. Mine has plenty of gain. I'm using an 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor. It wasn't TRS or anything weird. You may have gotten one with a bad connection or output. There are a lot of people who circuit bend those things, so I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to open it up and trace the connection, check the jack, etc. Who knows, maybe someone started a circuit bending project and decided to give up and sold it to the store.

BTW, I'd forgotten how much fun those things were. I personally enjoy the "synthesizing" feature. And in solo mode with portamento it has a cool mono synth going for it.

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:11 am

Used to use the flute setting for a guitar tuner heh. Organ sound plus a distortion pedal was always pretty decent too

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:04 pm

I love the sound of these. Are you certain your cable is good? Google for the service manual. Do you have a multimeter? Or return it. $70 is a rip off for a broken one. It's not a common problem with these. The line out should be fairly hot, it doubles has headphone out.