ARP AXXE MK2 (ORANGE) MARKET VALUE?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MIKEBAXTER
Gear: ARP AXXE MK2, Yamaha DX7, Roland JX3P, Casio FZ1

ARP AXXE MK2 (ORANGE) MARKET VALUE?

Post by MIKEBAXTER » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:38 am

Hi,
I was wondering if you could please advise me? I have a Mk2 ARP AXXE Synthesiser which I bought brand new around 1978 and gigged with for several years, but has sat covered up in a spare room since the mid 90s (along with my other aging 80s Keyboards). In January, 2015 I sent it to Time Travel Audio in Edinburgh who got it working again and I am contemplating selling it to buy a PC based pro audio system. Time Travel Audio posted several pictures on their Facebook website (its the one with the Shoot The Moon sticker on the back! The Axxe has a lot of missing slider knobs but has been overhauled and works well.
How much do you think I might advertise it for? I am based in Scotland and would think that delivering it abroad could be problematic given that the keys notoriously stick out beyond the main body and the flight case fell apart years ago! Thanks, Mike

philip

Re: ARP AXXE MK2 (ORANGE) MARKET VALUE?

Post by philip » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

350-400$

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:33 pm

philip wrote:350-400$
I guess this is what *you* would pay for one... realistically, I'd say it can fetch twice as much if someone is *really* desperate to get one. Which doesn't seem to be too realistic anyway, with the new Korg Odyssey about to be released.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Tacowitch
Gear: DX11, EPS 16+

Post by Tacowitch » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:49 pm

From seeing them online and in second hand music stores, I'd say you could definitely do at least $600.

philip

Post by philip » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:30 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
philip wrote:350-400$
I guess this is what *you* would pay for one... realistically, I'd say it can fetch twice as much if someone is *really* desperate to get one. Which doesn't seem to be too realistic anyway, with the new Korg Odyssey about to be released.

Stephen
So, reread what you've said))there's a contradiction. After KARP Odyssey been released, 400$ for Axxe-is pretty realistic.

MIKEBAXTER

Post by MIKEBAXTER » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Thanks guys for your replies. A broken one for spares is currently for sale on EBay for £500,in Germany, which is unrealistic, but I thought that mine would be around £600 max but as you say, only if someone wants one enough,
Cheers, Mike

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Prices have crept up - like most analogue synths - over the last few years, and as people have said already are likely to drop again, especially with the release of the Korg Odyssey.

I bought two in Britain: paid just over £400 about four years ago for one in generally good working condition but without a recent servicing, then £500 about three years ago for one recently serviced. Prices have risen a little from those, so without considering the Korg Odyssey I'd have said expect about £550. But see below:

With consideration of the Korg Odyssey - it's still an open question. We've not yet had the real test of whether it sounds and feels fully like an original ARP synth. Some people say it does, but very few have yet had chance to find out, and as yet the YouTube demos aren't clear enough. Presumably people wanting the `ARP sound' will be inclined to wait, which will reduce ebay bidding. There could be a much bigger dip when the Korg reissue appears, but maybe not if there are any questions about the sound. Expect some dip in Axxe values, but how much is anyone's guess.

If you're happy to sell, though, now might be the time. Maybe we're back to the £400 or so prices, but maybe a little more. It could be that people will say the Korg sounds nothing like an original ARP, and all vintage ARP prices will rise later in the year, but I'd expect someone would have noticed by now if the difference was that great, so it would be surprising.

Another factor could be what part of Scotland you're in, especially this time of year. As you say, it isn't a good synth to post. Personally I don't think any synth is a good synth to post, especially if vintage, but certainly in this case a customer collection would be better - and that may be a lot more likely if you're just over the border or on a main route, and less likely if you're more remote.
Free the Jupiter 8!

yorgatron
Gear: ARP Axxe
ARP Omni I
Korg Poly-61
Korg MS-10
Korg Mini-Korg 700
Elka X-55
RMI 300A
Wurlitzer 206A
Hohner Clavinet/Pianet Duo
Casio XW-P1
Band: Asha-Med

Post by yorgatron » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:48 am

paid $475 U.S. dollars for mine, about a year ago.

MIKEBAXTER

Post by MIKEBAXTER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks "Sweep" for that most informative reply. I am not desperate to sell it but may speculate on EBay for a minimum of £500 and see how I get on. I lost most of the Owner's Manual years ago in a snow storm, (it blew out of my hand outside a gig, never to be seen again, and what survived was the outer covers, which were soaked and covered in mud). I do have a downloaded copy of the Repair Manual and electronic circuits, but I have found that most patches can be found by looking at demos on you tube. I live near Perth but would deliver for a small fee to Glasgow or Edinburgh or Dundee. Yes, I agree that no synthesiser is readily postable!!! I also have an old MELOS Echo Chamber, which I used to beef up lead sounds, so would fling it in as an extra. I f any one is interested, just post here.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm sure the Korg Odyssey will affect the vintage ARP market the same exact way the MS20 Mini affected the vintage MS20 market. Neither of them truly sound or feel like their vintage counterparts, but the price point and warranty are going to move product. As a result, vintage prices will dip (you can score a vintage MS20 right now for under $1000. A month or so before the mini came out I sold mine for $1300).

There will still be people (like myself!) after the real thing, so patience is the key. I'm *thinking* about selling my ARP Solus, which has a super narrow market (not a lot of 'em out there, prices SUPER inflated, but not selling). I'll be lucky to come within $500 of what I paid for it. Not to mention the $$ I've put in to repair it. But thats a whole other story...

This time last year I was looking at ARPs and ended up with the Solus. The Axxe's at the time were going for about $400 US. $350 was not uncommon. $300 was a steal.

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:55 pm

Good luck with the sale. The addition of the Melos is a nice touch, too. If it's the DE-1, I bought one back in 1981 and used to play my MS20 through it.

Incidentally, my piece Blue Moon was done entirely with the Axxe, and perhaps shows you don't need an Odyssey to get a lot of different sounds and textures from an ARP synth - number 57 in the music player at http://www.musicbysweep.com/ This is a late orange and black one like the one for sale.
Free the Jupiter 8!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Which Melos Echo?

The ME-200 Disk Echo is quite rare these days.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

MIKEBAXTER

Post by MIKEBAXTER » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:02 am

Hi,
the Echo Chamber basically says "Echo Chamber", with "Melo"s below it. It uses an HP407 cassette and on the back there is a serial number which is now fading but is EM- then maybe, 035351 The whole unit is in a neat black vinyl wooden box with a handle on top and a very long wired footswitch. It looks as though there was a clip to completely box up the back, but that has disappeared in the mists of time! I cannot see any signs of a model number other than what I have described.

MIKEBAXTER

Post by MIKEBAXTER » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:32 am

Hi Sweep,
had a listen to number 57, Blue Moon - very impressive what you have done with the ARP Axxe,
Thanks, Mike

mantrak
Gear: Minimoog D, Moog Sub 37, Voyager RME, Arp Odyssey MK2, Arp Axxe, Prophet 12, Arturia Minibrute, Roland Juno 106, Korg Polysix...

Post by mantrak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Paid 650 euros for very nice looking and well preserved MK2 (black/orange). However it will need some minor repairs so I expect to spend another 50 to 100 euros. I think it is a very nice synth with great little feature set, fabulous sound (it is one oscillator Odyssey), CV/GATE interface, very clean user interface and it is built like a tank. It also has normal standard keys. As a bonus it has very distinctive futuristic 70's design. People are buying pretty bland sounding Quadra for ridiculous money just because it looks so cool and is so rare!

So I think a good AXXE MK2 it is well worth 750 euros. If you need to beef it up with second oscillator, you can put anything through it and it will sound even more massive than Odyssey. I combine it with Minibrute and they are like born for each other and you can drive both from the same MIDI source.

AXXE is one of those originals which can only gain in value. The same class as Moog Prodigy.