Achieving "fame" for your synth work

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Achieving "fame" for your synth work

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:37 am

commodorejohn wrote:Hans Zimmer isn't famous for his synth work, he's famous for his Chris Nolan scores made up of BWAAAAMP and EEEEEEEEE impressionist bullshit and generic orchestral hammering.
Exactly.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:23 pm

There's fame amongst your peers, fame within your genre niche and then there's fame amongst the general public.

Kim Kardashian is more famous than any synthesist will be. I know who she is but I don't even know why she is famous! Now that is pretty slick :shock:

Getting back to the OP, I'm just interested in being able to keep playing music until I am physically unable. I need to be well known amongst my peers so I can get hired for gigs that pay well enough that I'm not losing money doing them.

One time I was called by a bandleader who told me point blank "Every single person I talked to told me I should call you, so here I am." That made me feel really good 8-)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:34 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Kim Kardashian is more famous than any synthesist will be. I know who she is but I don't even know why she is famous! Now that is pretty slick
Exactly! I have no idea why she's famous either. Does she do anything?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:14 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Kim Kardashian is more famous than any synthesist will be. I know who she is but I don't even know why she is famous! Now that is pretty slick
I'm pretty sure she broke the internet one time. That should be enough to qualify her as not just famous, but infamous.

mute

Post by mute » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:37 pm

..you believe everything you read?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:53 pm

ninja6485 wrote:
Maybe she plays the synthesizer? :mrgreen:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Marco Koeller
Gear: Akai S-2000, Akai S-1100, EMU ESI-4000, Roland D-50, Roland D-110, Roland JD-800, Roland TR-626, Roland TR-505, Roland MC-303, Korg DW-8000
Band: Smooth Genestar, Smooth

Post by Marco Koeller » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm

So, i think, there should be defined first whats meant with the attribute "famous".
At least, "success" and "famous" are words which everyone interprets individual and different.

The internet offers many possibilities to suggest visitors or followers, that a person is "successful" or "famous".
Since you can buy (faked virtual) followers and (faked virtual) comments and likes, for example soundcloud is no real indicator about if somebody is "famous" or not.

But what about in "real life"? What does it mean to be successful or famous? And is this attribut still contemporary?

I saw unknown up to good-known artists playing in clubs in front of 50 people, but giving all. With heart and soul and passion. And i saw famous artists playing in front of 5000 people very unmotivated and boring. So, is "famous" automatically a guarantee for "good" or "excellent"? In my opinion: No!

I think, you are "famous", if a club- or event-promoter calls you, and not reversed. I think, you are "famous", when you play prime-time on a festival or event. If you´re a good musician or an excellent player anyway, is not said with the points i mentioned before. You are "famous", if people book you primary because of your "name".

But, do i really want to be famous? No. I am happy with my musical projects, the jam-sessions and the audio netlabel. To me, beeing famous means, that people (customers, fans, promoters, labels etc...) have high expectations about your music, and many people have a problem if you evolve as artist and change your style and your music from release to release. Or you will (like myself over 10 years ago right now) have discussion with "A&Rs", which goes something like this: "Hey, put a vocal on the track and we sign it" or "Do it like you did it on your last album" or "Change the bassline and we will sell 5000 copies more..:" No, not really my buisness...

I never would like to ear money with music as my regular daytime job. To stay over water you will have to do what the mass would consume, and thats absolutely not my thing.

But, to come to the point. I 100% really dont care if someone is famous or successful. Because, often there is a huge managing-machinery behind a famous person. Too much "blablablabla...". Many unkonown musician are talented like h**l, but not famous. And to many musicians have no talent, but are famous through expensive marketing and or successful backline support or created myths and stories...

I really make no difference between, because to me only the music counts.
The music is that thing which is the extract. I dont care about the persons behind that much.
If music sounds good, it doesnt matter if the person behind is well-known or not. Even reverse.

So, the attribute "famous" is not important to me. And i think, too much people take their passion way too serious while they want to be a "star". Its a oneway. The music bizz is so fast moving nowadays, if you´re a "star" today, your light will not shine brighter, but will burn out faster.

Ladies & Gentlemen, please excuse my particular "freestyle-english", i am just a "kraut" :D
Music is an universal language, spoke and understood by all....

Free audio netlabel http://www.cyan-music.com
Deep House and Dubtechno http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth
Lounge and Chillout http://www.cyan-music.com/smooth-genestar

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:49 pm

Fame is merely a slightly-evolved primate's concept of being being something more than what it already is = being(duh)

[no typos, please read it again if you thought there were]

Alas, the stars are all up in space, and in all of our bones in equal proportions
A star is not some barely evolved primate we single out from other barely evolved primates
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:00 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Hans Zimmer isn't famous for his synth work, he's famous for his Chris Nolan scores made up of BWAAAAMP and EEEEEEEEE impressionist bullshit and generic orchestral hammering.
Exactly.

Indeed, though he was with the synth rock/funk group Shreikback for a while in the 80s , he played on my favourite album of theirs' Oil & Gold'.
I always assumed he played synths on that (J8, Fairlight,DX1 etc in this case,) but only recently found out that he actually played Bass on a few tracks & 'shaker' on another.

The bass playing is quite tasty though in his defence & perfect for that album from the mid-late 80s.

I always thought this was my favourite work he had ever done, ( thinking he played the synths on that album) I never liked his scoring work at all personally, as music. No offence intended. I suppose I would have to say as film soundtrack /scores they are impressive, I just don't like what Ive heard.

I think he did actually play a bit of synth on a track or two,on 'Oil on Gold' but it was mainly Barry Andrews who played the lovely atmospheric synths on that album,apparently.