Achieving "fame" for your synth work

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KBD_TRACKER

Achieving "fame" for your synth work

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:06 am

Not sure this is the right section for this post ...
Some here are not looking for "fame" and just enjoy making music with their synths in their home or studio or with their friends. Some also may dream about becoming "famous" or at least getting some public recognition or following.

I'll ask a question to those belonging to this 2nd category:
if for some reason you discovered that digital media ie soundcloud, youtube, etc.. were now worthless for getting "famous" and that the only way was to play "live" for 3-5 years, often in crappy places with crappy (or none at all) audience for a crappy fee, and lugging yourself everytime your own gear, then would you be up to do it ??
Last edited by KBD_TRACKER on Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Re: Achieving "fame" for your synth work

Post by chimney chop » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 am

this thread seems like a trap with shaming/preaching at the end.

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:03 am

chimney chop wrote:this thread seems like a trap with shaming/preaching at the end.

KBD_TRACKER

Post by KBD_TRACKER » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:33 am

chimney chop wrote:this thread seems like a trap with shaming/preaching at the end.
no need or inclination for "trapping" people :)

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

I'm not famous, I'm notorious.

Or not.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:42 pm

fame and synthwork are just two things that do not go together.

I don't think anyone should be seeking fame over the love for the music they do. If they are they should ditch the synth and go on a talent show and make a twat of themselves.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:43 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:for getting "famous" and that the only way was to play "live" for 3-5 years, often in crappy places with crappy (or none at all) audience for a crappy fee, and lugging yourself everytime your own gear, then would you be up to do it ??
I never got famous, but I have done exactly that as a bassist (not playing EM, that's just a hobby) for over 30 years.

I have performed and recorded with people whose records I had listened to when I was young....there is nothing like playing with one of your heroes. I have appeared in a movie. I've played huge festivals. I've been written up in newspapers and magazines. I've been on numerous LPs and CDs as a sideman.

I have also done gigs that paid $5 after traveling in a blizzard for four hours. I turned down a $600 gig to play an already booked gig that ended up paying nothing at all. I've played gigs for free beer or free drugs. The only thing I've never done is real touring, nothing longer than a weekend on the road.

I wouldn't go back and change any of it because I love playing music with and for people.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Some people just don't get it.

If you want to become 'famous' you need to be a slave to the industry that can create that for you.

Most famous people (with longevity and respect) got famous not because they specifically sought fame out, but just did what they do best, and connected with an audience.

We live in a world aware enough of itself that we think we can control destiny by analyzing the past and then attempting to control the future via some pointless formula. The formula you suggest (playing live for 3-5 years in crappy places for no one) doesn't even make any sense.

Music (and other art forms), should be created for the heart and soul, NOT for commerce. (Meatball's story is a perfect example)

ENJOY making music. Period.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:22 pm

If you enjoy what you're doing it doesn't really matter if you're famous, and if you're trying to get famous you're probably not going to enjoy yourself. I know which one I'd rather pick.

I've played in bands for about 15 years and toured internationally, never making money but we always made sure that our touring schedule had enough time off for us to enjoy the places we went. We never got famous but we made a lot of music that we're really proud of and did things like headline a festival in Vietnam and as a result had a week long holiday there that was free, I'm happy with what I've done.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:47 pm

KBD_TRACKER wrote:Not sure this is the right section for this post ...
Some here are not looking for "fame" and just enjoy making music with their synths in their home or studio or with their friends. Some also may dream about becoming "famous" or at least getting some public recognition or following.

I'll ask a question to those belonging to this 2nd category:
if for some reason you discovered that digital media ie soundcloud, youtube, etc.. were now worthless for getting "famous" and that the only way was to play "live" for 3-5 years, often in crappy places with crappy (or none at all) audience for a crappy fee, and lugging yourself everytime your own gear, then would you be up to do it ??
Spent many a year doing this very thing. In fact, 3-5 years seems like a cakewalk given the time I put in lugging tonnes of kit about. No fame, no wealth. It was fun... and if I could, I'd do it again, without the concern for fame or fortune.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Playing for ONLY 3-5 years to gain some fame? Wow, I should be a mega star by now, considering I've been doing it for 15 years. :lol:
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:21 pm

Fame almost doesn't even exist anymore. I mean, artists and hit singles go by so fast, and are so unmemorable, as Anthony Fantano from the Needle drop pointed out, it's becoming a problem for Wierd Al! By the time he makes an album of parodies, no one remembers or cares about the songs he parodied!
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:01 pm

zoomtheline wrote:fame and synthwork are just two things that do not go together. [...]
Something tells me Hans Zimmer would beg to differ.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:09 am

Hans Zimmer isn't famous for his synth work, he's famous for his Chris Nolan scores made up of BWAAAAMP and EEEEEEEEE impressionist bullshit and generic orchestral hammering.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:17 am

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
zoomtheline wrote:fame and synthwork are just two things that do not go together. [...]
Something tells me Hans Zimmer would beg to differ.

Stephen
who?