Playing synths: do you play what you like to hear ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Re: Playing synths: do you play what you like to hear ?

Post by Percivale » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:22 am

Ask the question the other way round. I listen to all sorts but I dislike psychedelic-kind of loud, R&B or Jazz music. What I dislike seemed causal and related to what I intend/incline to play. Hence, I would think the same vice-versa.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 am

I tend to let what I like influence what I compose, but the result never sounds anything like what originally influenced me. If I pointed out to someone, "yeah that song was influenced by [insert song/artist here]" they likely be scratching their head. But this is intentional. Take a starting point and let the music carry me wherever it will. I'm often surprised. I recently wrote a jazz song. Never saw that coming.
You can't synthesize love

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Re-Member wrote:My housemate is always trying to tell me how "dated" synthesizer music is, yet listens to classic rock and plays acoustic guitar... how's that for irony?
When I read that I just had to think of one of the most pioneering albums of electronic/synthesizer music of all time (SOB, of course). Radically new for being (one of?) the first albums that contained nothing but electronically produced sounds, but at the same time quite old since the guy who wrote it (JSB, of course) died in 1750 ;) .
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:56 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:Take a starting point and let the music carry me wherever it will. I'm often surprised. I recently wrote a jazz song. Never saw that coming.
Precisely :)

I listen to all types of music, but I can't say that any one genre influences me over another. If something pops into my head, whether it be pop, rock, orchestral, disco, jazz or whatever, I'll record it. I was lucky enough to have a few contracts in my younger years, but was eventually always dropped because my writing wasn't "consistent" enough :roll:
I'm grateful I didn't get stuck in that kind of rut.

phineus_ii

Post by phineus_ii » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:51 am

sounds

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:48 am

phineus_ii wrote:
sounds
I take it you're not a fan of 4'33". :lol:
You can't synthesize love

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:40 am

Yes. These days more than ever. Probably because I'm a better player now. I suppose when I was still in my twenties I was doing "genre-hopping" all the time, experimenting with different sounds and sound manipulation techniques. The problem was that I could barely ever get more than 2-3 tracks finished for a project, before I felt like doing different type of music instead.