Analogue Additive Synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Nils

Re: Analogue Additive Synthesizer

Post by Nils » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:19 pm

There's the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/verboselec ... scillator/

drheqx

Post by drheqx » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:10 pm

So basically all organs that have multiple harmonics or "voices" are additive. I have a poly800 and it is basically an organ with envelopes and a filter. Take those away and it is no different than the Conn organ in the living room. it sounds like an organ. When I think of additive synthesis I think of a way to mathematically generate harmonics not simply add pre-defined harmonics into a signal like an organ does.

This leads to FM or some other system of harmonic generation.

Modulars can do FM all day long, but they are not very practical to gig with. If you want an analog additive synth you can build one specifically for the purpose using commonly available modules from the eurorack community. You need oscillators, envelopes, and VCAs. Maybe even LFOs for specific types of modulation. It does not have to be pure sine based like the Yamaha DX series, that's not a hard and fast rule.

You can build your own algorithms and really create unique sounds that are not common.

I have grown weary of the WOW sound of subtractive synthesis. It gets really annoying after a while.

drheqx

Post by drheqx » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Nils wrote:There's the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/verboselec ... scillator/

This is cool ,but it's just the same old organ type of thing. In order to create sounds that are natural you need the odd as well as the even harmonic and you need the phase to be out of sync in strange ways. That's a real synthesizer. You can make sounds that nobody ever heard before , or sounds that you've ever heard from a synth before.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

drheqx wrote:I have a poly800 and it is basically an organ with envelopes and a filter. Take those away and it is no different than the Conn organ in the living room.
Take any synth, remove all modulations and filtering, set the EG to a gate and it sounds like an organ.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:10 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
drheqx wrote:I have a poly800 and it is basically an organ with envelopes and a filter. Take those away and it is no different than the Conn organ in the living room.
Take any synth, remove all modulations and filtering, set the EG to a gate and it sounds like an organ.
Yeah baby yeah !

"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud