Roland JX3P and PWM

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Roland JX3P and PWM

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:
commodorejohn wrote:Well, I suppose you might not have heard of it, but there was an obscure little synthesizer called the "Odyssey" back in '72 that had independent PWM controls for both of its oscillators.
No, you're right. I must be totally wrong about what I'm saying.

Everyone: I take back what I said. Synthesis can't be achieved without PWM. It's how we make sound.

Thank you, commodorejohn, for setting me straight.
Well if you're going to use manufacturing decisions to decide what is synthesis and what isn't, then yes you are wrong. Based on your own bizarre criteria. Could you clarify what you mean by authorship of timbre? How is that different from synth programming? Bear in mind that both terms are jargonized and slightly bend the common usage e.g. "to
program" usually implies the use of a computer, but it still applies to synths that don't have computers.
Last edited by madtheory on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

zaphod betamax

Post by zaphod betamax » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:02 am

PWM is usually the domain of one oscillator wonders such as the Juno series.
I'll take a pass on those. I run two JX-3Ps in tandem, and having 4 oscilators
non-syched, or 2 PWM oscilators amongst the two synths can not be touched
even by the mighty Jupiters.

I bought my first synth in 1979, so I have been around the block a bit.

Bottom line the "synch" trick on a 3P is the same as PWM in those "other" Rolands.

JonHolstein

Post by JonHolstein » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

Weird statement by "Automatic Gainsay", if it is the real Marc Doty, sure he worked at Moog at the time, but still. That kind of argument sounds like something coming out of the fingers of someone, that save up to a Minimoog Model D, and justified the purchase by it being the ultimate synth. Since it doesn't come with all the features of other synths, the only way to justify it being the ultimate synth, would be to claim that anything that isn't on it, has nothing to do with synthesizers.
Ok, it could also be someone employed by MoogMusic trying to boost their sales, by dissing everything else and sayng that only their stuff counts, but that seems extreme for Marc Doty, and not in keeping with the legacy of Robert Moog.

Somone could claim that PWM isn't naturally occuring in other instruments, so it is irrelevant for synthesizing sounds. But then, it could also be claimed that the minimoog is completely osbolote, since we have Sampling and Physical modelling that are both much miles and miles ahead in terms of making sounds that are actually synthesized versions of other instruments.
And he said Authorship of Timbre, and not synthesizing other instruments, so that does not fit. That type of wording however suggest that it might have been the real Marc Doty.
I was thinking of this comment for some time, and it wasn't until i re-visited this site I saw that it was written by Automatic Gainsay... I was quite sure it was written by someone trying to defend spending all their synth savings on a Minimoog.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm

JonHolstein wrote:Weird statement by "Automatic Gainsay", if it is the real Marc Doty, sure he worked at Moog at the time, but still. That kind of argument sounds like something coming out of the fingers of someone, that save up to a Minimoog Model D, and justified the purchase by it being the ultimate synth. Since it doesn't come with all the features of other synths, the only way to justify it being the ultimate synth, would be to claim that anything that isn't on it, has nothing to do with synthesizers.
Ok, it could also be someone employed by MoogMusic trying to boost their sales, by dissing everything else and sayng that only their stuff counts, but that seems extreme for Marc Doty, and not in keeping with the legacy of Robert Moog.

Somone could claim that PWM isn't naturally occuring in other instruments, so it is irrelevant for synthesizing sounds. But then, it could also be claimed that the minimoog is completely osbolote, since we have Sampling and Physical modelling that are both much miles and miles ahead in terms of making sounds that are actually synthesized versions of other instruments.
And he said Authorship of Timbre, and not synthesizing other instruments, so that does not fit. That type of wording however suggest that it might have been the real Marc Doty.
I was thinking of this comment for some time, and it wasn't until i re-visited this site I saw that it was written by Automatic Gainsay... I was quite sure it was written by someone trying to defend spending all their synth savings on a Minimoog.
Don't eat the yellow snow.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Indeed. To err is human, to bullshit, urine.