Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
LORNIVERSE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by LORNIVERSE » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:28 pm

Hello people,

I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to check if anyone here knows of any options for a software Editor for Ensoniq SQ80 (or ESQ-1)?

I've seen that MIDI Quest has a profile for it, however MQ costs more than I paid for my SQ80, so that would be a stretch. That said, anyone have any experiencing using it? Or any other possible editor options?

Thanks!

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:28 pm

There were editors for Atari ST, Amiga and early Macs. I have not hard of any "labor of love" editors for modern OSes. Keep in mind the synth went off the market over 20 years ago.

Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 am
Real name: Victor
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP
Location: Siberia
Contact:

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by vicd » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:54 pm

If you don't mind an iPad as a software controller, you may find this thread on GS worth reading. The guys seem to have done some progress with TouchOSC and TB MIDI stuff.

And some more (or just google for something like "ensoniq sq80 ipad"):
http://patcharena.com/downloads/comment.php?dlid=1110
http://www.thiburce.com/TBStuff//forums ... f=19&t=227
http://www.matrixsynth.com/2013/02/enso ... -with.html

I do not see yet a MidiDesigner layout for SQ80.

Not really "editors" however, I guess.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

max badwan
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:34 am
Real name: Max
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by max badwan » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:02 am

FWIW, I always found the ESQ-1/SQ-80 to be really easy to edit from the front panel. It's not one knob per function, but I thought it was a well thought out design.

User avatar
loungedumore
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:25 am
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by loungedumore » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm

The SQ8L vst plugin works as an editor , librarian , expander ( overflow ) and obviously as a virtual version .
It's free . It's not midi controllable though ... IE: no setting knobs to cc'ss . Also just sound engine no seq editing .
It worked great for me however with both my SQ80 and ESQ1 when I had them .


Btw : if your on OSX like me you can use it in the VFX app from SM Pro audio .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

LORNIVERSE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by LORNIVERSE » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone...after trying out SQ8L and MIDI Quest I think i am gonna just stick to using the panel interface. I've found it's not so bad if you have a sequence playing through it as you tweak so you don't have to manual play the keyboard as you design.

For anyone curious about MIDI Quest, I tried the demo version and immediately had an issue where MQ was seemingly sending the wrong waveforms to the synth (ie I choose Saw, it tells the SQ Bell). I contacted their support and the first thing the support person said was "no one in 25 years ever reported this," which to me is never a good start to a support conversation. I ran into some other issues too, not worth the headache...

User avatar
StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1492
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 am
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by StepLogik » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:29 am

MIDI Quest is unbelievably buggy. I avoid that software at all costs, but occasionally its a necessary evil.

LORNIVERSE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by LORNIVERSE » Thu May 21, 2015 5:37 pm

So, I found a guy selling what appears to be a custom-made hardware programmer for the ESQ-1...I asked if it works with the SQ-8O and he said yes!

Seems interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESQ-pg-Controll ... TQ:US:1123

Any one have any experience with any of this seller's programmers? He has a bunch for other synths as well. The listing is not very descriptive though, and he needs to add more pics!

User avatar
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 pm
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Total waste of money. This was not designed for the ESQ/SQ80, but is just a general interface that the maker is customizing for any sysex-based synth. You're trading one button per function for a switching menu-based system that only gives limited knob control per view.

It would most certainly be faster to program directly from the front panel (same for any software editor as well). There's really no better implementation of that menu system, short of knobs for every parameter (like with a BCR2000 or similar). Digging into the very user friendly manual and learning the parameters will allow you to fly around the machine better than any programmer.
Do you even post on vse bro?

LORNIVERSE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by LORNIVERSE » Thu May 21, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks for the input Sir Ruff. I disagree however, in that if this programmer works the way I think it does it will definitely be a more fluid editing experiencing than the ESQ/SQ80 panel.

When programming from the front panel you can only adjust one parameter at a time, and switching parameters always requires 1-2 button pushes. With this programmer you have knobs for up to six parameters at once, and the matrix system looks Blofeldish and not too hard to switch between sections. IMO it looks easier, but I wouldn't spend the money without hearing from someone who is tried one of these.

Another reason for my interest is not just easier programming, but also something that is easier to access from my main desk (my SQ80 is in a multi-tier keyboard stand that I'd need to stand up and walk over to to access).

greggybud
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:52 am
Gear: DSI Polyevolver, Mopho
Ensoniq VFX-SD-2, ESQ-R
Oberheim OB-8, OB-12, M-1000
Moog Voyager
Nord 2
Yamaha TX-802
Roland D-550
Emu Morpheus, Vintage Keys
Location: Eugene, Oregon

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by greggybud » Fri May 22, 2015 9:39 pm

StepLogik wrote:MIDI Quest is unbelievably buggy. I avoid that software at all costs, but occasionally its a necessary evil.
MidiQuest11? And MidiQuest or MidiQuest Pro?

I guess I have been incredibly lucky over the past many years using it with my 14 hardware synths.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 22, 2015 11:05 pm

LORNIVERSE wrote:Thanks for the input Sir Ruff. I disagree however, in that if this programmer works the way I think it does it will definitely be a more fluid editing experiencing than the ESQ/SQ80 panel.
Having owned an SQ80 for 15 years, looking at that $249 box I don't see how it could be any faster unless it also automatically switches the display so you can see what you are doing.

Well, it's your money.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

LORNIVERSE
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by LORNIVERSE » Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Having owned an SQ80 for 15 years, looking at that $249 box I don't see how it could be any faster unless it also automatically switches the display so you can see what you are doing.
Interesting, you don't think you'd be able to program the synth by ear? I don't see this being an issue for me personally, but that's something to consider.

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 24, 2015 4:26 pm

LORNIVERSE wrote:Interesting, you don't think you'd be able to program the synth by ear? I don't see this being an issue for me personally, but that's something to consider.
The best example is the limited mod routings offered, you still need to go to the screen to have full routing control. Even wave selection by ear could be slow...if you already know which wave you want can you easily ID it by ear?

Keep in mind you also have to keep playing notes to hear any knob tweak, you will not hear the tweaks affect sustained notes. For setting up the EGs knobs could speed things up even though you have to keep triggering notes.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

User avatar
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 5317
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 12:45 pm
Real name: Tomas Mulcahy
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Location: Cork, Ireland
Contact:

Re: Any Software Editor Options for Ensoniq SQ80?

Post by madtheory » Sun May 24, 2015 6:48 pm

loungedumore wrote:Btw : if your on OSX like me you can use it in the VFX app from SM Pro audio .
Broken in Mavericks and Yosemite. On my Macs at least.

Post Reply