Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jonnyfromspace
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 am

Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by jonnyfromspace » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:57 am

Hey all
I just became a proud owner of the following instruments:
- Moog Voyager | Blue edition
- Dave Smith | Poly Evolver
- Roland AiRA | Tr-8

Anyone have any of these and any thoughts on what expansions I should purchase for my Moog | Voyager?

Btw hello all as I'm new to this forum :D :D :D
"know thyself"

alfadawg01
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:14 pm
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Alesis Ion, iPad2 (running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1, iWavestation, Mellotronics M3000HD, & ThumbJam), Roland VR-09b.
Band: The Journey Worship Band
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Contact:

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by alfadawg01 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:54 pm

If I were you, I'd spend a lot of time getting comfy with and enjoying those instruments instead of thinking of buying more stuff. There's enough power there for a lifetime or two.

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by Bitexion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:18 pm

I don't think you should bother with expanding anything. Get to know the gear you bought. Read their manuals. Read some theory about subtractive synthesis if you don't already know it. Find your favorite sounds on the Voyager and TR-1 and try to edit them.

Don't worry about expansions.

Rick N Boogie
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:45 pm
Real name: Alan
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by Rick N Boogie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:44 pm

Agreed with both above. You've got all you need for the time being. Learn everything you can about what you've got, there's a ton of possibilities already.
Bassist, synth junkie

User avatar
SpiralMind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:12 am
Gear: Fingers and brain, the rest is interchangeable.
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by SpiralMind » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Welcome!

I also agree with the earlier replies, but coming from a different angle, you could buy a delay and/or reverb to play the Voyager through.

I hope you enjoy your PolyEvolver, it's so much fun! You could always run your Voyager through the PolyEvolver's distortion, hack, or 3-line delay effect.
ImI

User avatar
moremagic
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:29 am
Real name: A.M.
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99
Location: nc

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by moremagic » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:53 pm

you should get the vx-351 for the voyager. more cv = better than

User avatar
meatballfulton
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:29 pm
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 pm

moremagic wrote:you should get the vx-351 for the voyager. more cv = better than
That assumes he has some other CV gear....which he doesn't apparently ;)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

jonnyfromspace
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by jonnyfromspace » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:01 am

alfadawg01 wrote:If I were you, I'd spend a lot of time getting comfy with and enjoying those instruments instead of thinking of buying more stuff. There's enough power there for a lifetime or two.
Bitexion wrote:I don't think you should bother with expanding anything. Get to know the gear you bought. Read their manuals. Read some theory about subtractive synthesis if you don't already know it. Find your favorite sounds on the Voyager and TR-1 and try to edit them.

Don't worry about expansions.
@Alfadawg01 .. thanks for the comment. I def think I have enough already.
@Bitexion .. thanks for the comment as well. Im def spending much of my last few days reading manuals :P .. also enjoying the freedom of playing around with them regardless :P
Rick N Boogie wrote:Agreed with both above. You've got all you need for the time being. Learn everything you can about what you've got, there's a ton of possibilities already.
Thanks for the comment @Rick N Boogie .. def amazing devices that have so much potential :P .. im actually a blues guitarist originally but I DJed for a living after highschool hence my foray into the world of Synths :p
SpiralMind wrote:Welcome!

I also agree with the earlier replies, but coming from a different angle, you could buy a delay and/or reverb to play the Voyager through.

I hope you enjoy your PolyEvolver, it's so much fun! You could always run your Voyager through the PolyEvolver's distortion, hack, or 3-line delay effect.
meatballfulton wrote:
moremagic wrote:you should get the vx-351 for the voyager. more cv = better than
That assumes he has some other CV gear....which he doesn't apparently ;)
I was thinking of getting the Moog MF-101 low pass filter as my first Moog expansion purchase. What do you think ?
Plus how do you run the voyager through the poly evolver ?? 1/4 cable + midi ? and from what ports to what ports ??

Plus the VX-351 was also on my list but I feel i need to get to know the V'ger better before I go buy it.

thanks for the comments all :) Plus i finally synced the moog voyager to abletons clock succesfully !!
"know thyself"

User avatar
SpiralMind
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:12 am
Gear: Fingers and brain, the rest is interchangeable.
Location: Devon, UK

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by SpiralMind » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:41 am

jonnyfromspace wrote: Plus how do you run the voyager through the poly evolver ?? 1/4 cable + midi ? and from what ports to what ports ??
No Midi required.

First, run the Voyager's output, via an instrument cable, into one of the Audio Ins on the back of the PE and select a Basic Program on the PE (program 128 of each bank).

Solo one oscillator on the PE (by holding down one of the red Oscillator select buttons until it flashes) and then turn the level of that Osc down to zero. Keep this Osc soloed (or muted, depending on how you look at it :dontknow:).

Turn up the External In Level on the PE. Play a key on the Voyager; you shouldn't hear anything. Press and hold any key on the PE and play the Voyager at the same time; you should hear your Moog coming through now.

But you don't want to have one of your hands tied down with 'PE sentry duty'! So turn the PE's Amplifier VCA Level up to a sensible level. This will make the amplifier gate remain open and allow your Voyager to continue on its travels into the vast PolyEvolver land of delay and distortion.

You can also work the PE's filter, envelopes and LFOs etc to manipulate whatever your feeding into it.

To be honest it's probably easier to run your Voyager through some pedals. The PolyEvolver does not deserve to be demoted to an effects unit.

Hope this helps :)
ImI

User avatar
Percivale
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:56 am
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc
Location: SG Synthesizers Group
Contact:

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by Percivale » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 am

Enjoy your new gear! :)

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

Fx are crucial to getting a wide pallette of sounds, and for getting sounds to 'gel' together in a mix...it's like baking a cake: the synth and drums provide foundation/structural body, and the fx are the frosting on top and between layers

put aside $500-1000 and get a phaser pedal(small stone up to a blackout whetstone) and delay pedal(mxr carbon copy is killer for the money) for that voyager, and a decent fx box(eventide space, lexicon pcm70, kurzweil rumour etc) for drums and such to use instead of the crappy TR-8 onboard reverb. hook it all up to the aux sends of a small mixer and you're cookin'.

Also, don't forget that in addition to the VX & CP expanders, moog make(still make?) a cheap little CV pedal that you can plug into the voyager's input jacks for VCA/volume or filter(instant wha-wha funk) or whatever you want
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Rooftree
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by Rooftree » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:33 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Fx are crucial to getting a wide pallette of sounds, and for getting sounds to 'gel' together in a mix...it's like baking a cake: the synth and drums provide foundation/structural body, and the fx are the frosting on top and between layers

put aside $500-1000 and get a phaser pedal(small stone up to a blackout whetstone) and delay pedal(mxr carbon copy is killer for the money) for that voyager, and a decent fx box(eventide space, lexicon pcm70, kurzweil rumour etc) for drums and such to use instead of the crappy TR-8 onboard reverb. hook it all up to the aux sends of a small mixer and you're cookin'.

Also, don't forget that in addition to the VX & CP expanders, moog make(still make?) a cheap little CV pedal that you can plug into the voyager's input jacks for VCA/volume or filter(instant wha-wha funk) or whatever you want
+1

FX make all the difference in the world. I don't usually like to recommend that people spend a lot of money on gear, but since you've already mentioned a Moogerfooger I'm going to recommend the MF-103 phaser. It has a drive knob that allows you to dial in distortion if you want, it has lots of control over the phasing effect, and it can do pseudo-stereo phasing by using the aux output. A delay is the first thing I'd buy, followed by a phaser, then a multi-fx unit.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by seamonkey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:42 pm

welcome to VSE and congrats on your purchases.

Just curious if you had any hardware before buying this equipment, how did you determine these synths were what you needed, and please give me the email address of your rich uncle. lol
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

User avatar
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 4230
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld
Location: Drammen, Norway

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:22 pm

You definately don't need another Moog filter, you already have a great one in the Voyager. This also has audio inputs, so you can run anything through that filter if you please.

MIDI only sends note info and patch changes, not actual audio.
The world of synths can be confusing for a newbie, but you have the best tools available :) Read some articles about subtractive synthesis aswell, just google it. So you learn how to use the oscillators, LFOs, envelope generators and filters on the synths.

recordbot
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:01 pm
Location: MA

Re: Just bought 2 Synths + Tr-8

Post by recordbot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:46 pm

I'd agree and say since you already have moog covered hit something else for effects and don't go nuts, I'm a fan of a vintage script MXR phase 90, try an old korg yamaha whatever set top style box delay (those are cheaper) you will enjoy as much if not more than the 700?!! moog 104 delay, proco rat and EXH holy grail reverbs are cheap and effective.

also what are you recording those into, you have any preamps? you hitting tape or converting to digital?, examine your recording chain before spreading out into more sounds and effects, what good are those sounds if you can't capture them?

Post Reply