Yamaha Dx7 iifd (no sound)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bassplayer1980
Gear: Moog lp, Ensoniq ESQ-1, E-mu command station, Mackie mixer 402 vlz3.

Yamaha Dx7 iifd (no sound)

Post by bassplayer1980 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:26 pm

I just got a Yamaha dx7 iifd from ebay. I just open the case and I turn the synth but I don't hear any sound. I just hear the SSSSSSSSHHHH sound but no preset sound. I see the preset name as FFFFFFFFF. as other forums said that is a low battery issue. I just came here to see if that is the problem. if exchange the battery is the issue, what do I need?

I bought a battery cr2032 3v with soldering tabs. a soldering gun and a coin battery holder which is optional.

i also notice that there was a letter on the case that says that someone put a new battery on it in the year 2004.

I also want to know how to do the factory reset.

I appreciate all your help

thanks!!

fh991586
Gear: Roland JX-3P, D-50, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Re: Yamaha Dx7 iifd (no sound)

Post by fh991586 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm

It really looks like a battery issue, if there is no sound in memory. But since many DX-7 still have their original batteries inside and continue to work after 30 years, I wonder why a mere 10 years old one would fail...

Replace the battery, and put back the preset with midi [no hard reset available]. Then you'll see if there is another problem rising up.
Available for sale:
-DSI Mopho
-TherapSID mk1
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:36 am

I agree, sounds like battery to me. I have a DX7II-FD. Did it not come with the factory ROM cartridge? I also have the original manual here - but you can probably find a PDF on the net somewhere. Have you tried the self-diagnostics?

Here's some good resources:

http://www.alexannesty.com/dx7s-restore ... voices.php

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/mus ... _Procedure

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =35&t=5675

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:11 am

Battery life really depends on how long the synth has been turned off.
The battery only kicks in to prevent the RAM data to wipe when the synth is turned off. When it's on, the battery isn't used.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:18 am

I agree this is most likely a dead battery.

You can check this quickly:

Switch the synth on, upload some patches via a sysex dump. If it still doesn't produce any sound, something else is wrong. But if it sounds as it should but all patches are gone upon switching it off and on again, it's the battery.

Here's a link for the manual: https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pag ... Id-man.pdf

There are literally thousands of patches available for free (plus thousands for sale) for the DX7(II) on the Internet. Uploading them is really easy with MidiOx, so you don't actually need any cartridges nor floppies.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Weirdofromouterspace wrote:I agree this is most likely a dead battery.

You can check this quickly:

Switch the synth on, upload some patches via a sysex dump. If it still doesn't produce any sound, something else is wrong. But if it sounds as it should but all patches are gone upon switching it off and on again, it's the battery.

Here's a link for the manual: https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pag ... Id-man.pdf

There are literally thousands of patches available for free (plus thousands for sale) for the DX7(II) on the Internet. Uploading them is really easy with MidiOx, so you don't actually need any cartridges nor floppies.
Yup, good advice. You don't need to replace the battery to send patches into it.

MOS-FET
Gear: Korg M50, Oberheim Xpander, Juno 106, Alesis Andromeda, Prophet 08, Synthesizers.com Portable modular 22, TR-8

Post by MOS-FET » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:34 pm

I got a DX7iiFD with E! on ebay a few months ago with the same issue. Luckily I got a RAM cartridge with it. It played sounds from the cartridge but not from INT. I replaced the battery and same issue, but I could load RAM to INT and the INT sounds would still play after I turned the machine off and back on again. I did have a hard time finding copies of the original factory presets though. So, I would beleive yours has the same issue. These are very nice machines (for digital) once you get them working again.

bassplayer1980

Post by bassplayer1980 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rarely, I turn the dx7 iifd and I tried to upload and reset the cartridges as factory and I don't know exactly what I did, but now the synth works perfect. I don't know if that is going to be for a while because of the battery. Maybe I don't need to replace the battery. I did receive any sysex files from my pc. I tried. but no luck. I don't know how I did it. I reset the cartridge and the system. I need help to receive sysex from my pc. I know how to do it. I unlock the memory and I send the sysex via a midi interface. as I do with my lasts synths but nothing happens. I have a E! card and my synth is dx7 iifd. I really appreciate your help :? :? :? :? :? :D :D :D :D :D 8-)

I also need to see the battery percentage. maybe the battery is good

thanks!!!

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 am

bassplayer1980 wrote:I need help to receive sysex from my pc. I know how to do it. I unlock the memory and I send the sysex via a midi interface. as I do with my lasts synths but nothing happens.
Be aware that you need to check/change settings on three buttons, perhaps you just overlooked one:
http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/mth192/pages/html/dx7.html wrote: On the DX7II-d, you need to turn memory protection off (Button #14), set the device number on the keyboard to the device number under which the sysex was originaly saved (button #32), and set "MIDI IN" to "normal" (button #29). If you don't do this third step, you get no error message and no hint of what is wrong, but the keyboard just doesn't accept the sysex data.
bassplayer1980 wrote:I also need to see the battery percentage. maybe the battery is good
Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the percentage as long as the battery isn't leaking. Just back up your patches properly so you can restore them via the sysex dump when the battery eventually fails.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

bassplayer1980

Post by bassplayer1980 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:40 pm

THANKS weirdfromouterspace. I finally get the sysex to my yamaha dx7 iifd. the final problem is to install the battery. I will have it tomorrow I guess and I remove the cover from the dx7 iifd to just put the battery. any of you know how to put the battery?? which tools do I need?? I also order a soldering gun with the battery and the battery coin cell holder. any of you had any experience with solder synths?

thanks!! :? :? :?

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:47 pm

bassplayer1980 wrote:I finally get the sysex to my yamaha dx7 iifd.
Ah, good :thumbsup: !
bassplayer1980 wrote:the final problem is to install the battery. I will have it tomorrow I guess and I remove the cover from the dx7 iifd to just put the battery. any of you know how to put the battery?? which tools do I need?? I also order a soldering gun with the battery and the battery coin cell holder. any of you had any experience with solder synths?
I haven't done it on my DX7IID (pretty much the same as yours, minus the floppy drive and the E! kit) yet, but I did do it on my DX21.

You need
- a screwdriver to open the synth (pull its plug before doing so!)
- a soldering iron plus solder
- the battery and the holder
- possibly a pair of tweezers or tongs to pull the old battery out.

In case the pin distance of the holder clip is not the same as the original connectors (that was actually the case in my DX21!), it may be necessary to drill a small (1 - 1.5 mm in diameter) hole into the pcb. Be very careful when doing so, and use a proper and suitable tool. I have/use a small and lightweight drilling machine for model making which is excellent for such purposes.

If you don't want to drill through the circuit path, find a suitable spot in an "empty" part of the pcb (or simply somewhere else in the synth) and connect the battery clip to the original battery connection points with some wire. I drilled through the pcb in my DX21, but that's maybe not for everyone ;). One pin of the clip is in the original hole where the battery was connected, and I drilled the other one through the conductor path... but when I tried to bend back the corresponding leg of the clip (it was apparently squeezed in the mail), it came off and I ended up using an inch of wire instead. Never mind, works fine :D.

The service manual may be useful for information on which screws to loosen, etc.:

http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_dx7iifd. ... nload.html

I even found a video of the procedure for the DX21 that helped me, perhaps there is one for the DX7II as well :?: . However, the battery replacement part itself shouldn't be much different, so this video might also be useful.

amustsuccess
Gear: Arturia Analog Laboratory, CS6X, Korg SG1D, Juno 106s
Band: MAV

Post by amustsuccess » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:19 pm

Hi Guys!

I have a DXIIFD, but at the moment it sounds horrible. For every chords and note played, there’s distortion and noise that accompanies the sound. Please, what can be done to rectify this problem? Cheers!

logix

Post by logix » Sat May 09, 2015 10:43 pm

amustsuccess wrote:Hi Guys!

I have a DXIIFD, but at the moment it sounds horrible. For every chords and note played, there’s distortion and noise that accompanies the sound. Please, what can be done to rectify this problem? Cheers!
This sounds exactly like what I'm hearing from my DX-7 (mark I) which I pulled out of storage after several years of non-use. I'm worried it might be dying capacitors or something, but just to rule that out I'm first going to try to clean the volume control with a suitable fader cleaner/lubricator.

amustsuccess
Gear: Arturia Analog Laboratory, CS6X, Korg SG1D, Juno 106s
Band: MAV

Post by amustsuccess » Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Please, keep me in touch on your progress. I need to know what to do to make mine work!
Cheers!

logix

Post by logix » Thu May 28, 2015 12:02 am

Sure :)
I've ordered and received a CR-2032 battery holder for mine so I only need to desolder the battery once and can use standard CR-2032 batteries instead of the special soldereable type but haven't gotten round to installing it yet.
I'm also awaiting Deoxit Faderlube which I will use to clean/lubricate the volume fader. Ideally I should probably disassemble the fader to clean it properly from the inside using alcohol or something, then lubricating afterwards but I'll see first if it makes any change at all. Hopefully that's all there's to it.