External LFO to Modulate Moog Phatty Filter

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cecil Dubreque

External LFO to Modulate Moog Phatty Filter

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm

I have had a Slim Phatty for over a year now and I love the sound, however one thing that I find annoys me about the instrument is that the single LFO can not be used to modulate more than one thing at a time, be that pitch, filter etc...

It has only just recently struck me that an external LFO set to modulate the filter cut off could remedy this issue quite neatly and substantially expand the capabilities of the unit.

The only problem I am having is on deciding what kind of LFO module to go for as I have very little knowledge of the various modular options available. I presume some cheap Euro Rack thing with a couple of waveforms, speed and depth would suffice but I have basically no idea where to start with modules.

I am just interested to hear if anyone else has a similar set up with their Moog or if anyone has any suggestions as to what kind of unit would work. I would be well up for a DIY project if anyone knows of kit providers or something.

wordsdrawnigh

Re: External LFO to Modulate Moog Phatty Filter

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:08 pm

Have you considered the Moog CP-251?

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:49 pm

+1 for Moog CP-251.

I like to use an expression pedal to dial in the amount of modulation as I did in the video below using a CP-251 to modulate my Jupiter 4's filter:
[youtube][/youtube]
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 pm

CP251 rocks. that or the lfo from one of the moogerfoogers would do it too, but yeah youd likely want to attenuate with something like a CP251. also the sample and hold is cool when triggered from your moog's keys.

maybe another option would be running the moog off a kenton? i got one recently to drive my micromoog and it has an internal LFO that default does the 'joystick/modwheel to pitch' lfo bendy that nearly every keyboard since like 1980 has. ive found that has helped free up my modulation section.

still lusting over a little phatty, but i still dont understand how moog made it standard with CV ins rather than the CV outs upgrade. i would think most modern users would be setup better to send moog key/mod buss CV to other things like foogers rather than sequencing a phatty externally CV in when it has MIDI? :?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:16 pm

I second the CP, and check the RH301 from Koma as well, has some more fun stuff.

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, obviously looks like a CP251 would work and offer a ton of extra options on top but I can't justify spending that kind of cash just for a bonus LFO.

I am looking more at much less comprehensive and expensive options like the possibility of building a single LFO circuit from one of these http://www.oakleysound.com/lfo.htm and sticking it in a little box.

I hadn't considered the benefits of using an expression pedal with such a set up also, that could work out nicely and is something I will keep in mind.

Thanks for your suggestions.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Just to put a slightly different spin on this one..

The Kenton Pro Solo MIDI to CV interface will generate an LFO sent through its CV output in one of 7 or so different waveforms which can be sync'd to the MIDI clock.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:22 pm

Then just buy a used MicroBrute for $200.

Not only do you get an extra LFO, you get a whole 'nother synth!
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

shendo
Gear: Ableton Live/ Nord Lead1/ Electro/AJ1/ Moog LP /Moogerfoogers/Stomp Boxes/Vermona DRM1 III/motif rack
Band: NONE

Post by shendo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm

I've used the Moog Phaser LFO out with success. You'd get a great sounding phaser in the deal.
Novation X station, Motif Rack, NordLead/Electro, Juno-1, Evolver , Moogerfoogers

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:41 pm

A Euro set up just for an LFO would cost a LOT more than the CP 251. And don't ignore that it has a mult so it can send the LFO to 3 destinations.

Other options:
Moogerfooger with LFO out (phaser, ring mod, etc.)
Goatkeeper
Z wrote:Then just buy a used MicroBrute for $200.

Not only do you get an extra LFO, you get a whole 'nother synth!
Also good :thumbright:

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:41 pm

The MicroBrute is a great shout, I hadn't even considered something like that.

I wouldn't be building a whole system though if I did go the DIY route I would just build that module, I wouldn't even build the whole module rather a 3rd of it just for 1 LFO. Then put it in a little box with a PSU, would probably be less than £80 for the whole thing but would take a lot of work and messing about so the MicroBrute option is at the forefront of my mind at the moment.

Thanks again.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 am