Ultimate Cheap Cheesy but programmable digital synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
grimdark

Re: Ultimate Cheap Cheesy but programmable digital synth

Post by grimdark » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:28 am

I have to admit i joined this board specifically to say that i had always thought the Roland JD-800/JD-990 were basically THE PREMIER New Age Dolphin synthesizers of all time. I'm re-listening to M1 patches now, and i feel like they lean more towards TV movie sounds. And the piano and organ. But both synths sound for digital cheese, the JD-800 is just such new age spam, and it's super programmable?

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:32 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The D50 is the iconic synth for that, to a lesser extent the Korg M1.

The main competitors of the period were the Ensoniq VFX and Kawai K4.

I wouldn't out the SY22 in the same category at all...it was a budget synth, lower fidelity and most importantly has no filters of any kind. It's also currently overpriced in my opinion.
Hey hey hey... stop! The TG33 (SY22) is a cracking good synth for the money - it is really underrated and has a lot more lurking under the hood that is often realised (even the so called pre-programmed FM synth engine is actually programmable via sysex). Among many digitals I have in the studio are the Wavestation and the TG33 but would take the TG33 any day for its sound and live performance features. Some of the strings in the 33 are gorgeous for such an inexpensive module (for many years it was used as a secret weapon by the PSB and used on several major releases).

I entirely agree about the D-50... it was also a great synth but ended up becoming a real victim of its own success as did the M1 as you suggest.

If you want cheap but pretty decent and used on countless commercials, documentaries and film scores - my suggestion is the venerable JV-1080 which go for peanuts these days and are stacked full of pretty decent samples with a decent amount of programmability.

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: Hey hey hey... stop! The TG33 (SY22) is a cracking good synth for the money - it is really underrated and has a lot more lurking under the hood that is often realised (even the so called pre-programmed FM synth engine is actually programmable via sysex). Among many digitals I have in the studio are the Wavestation and the TG33 but would take the TG33 any day for its sound and live performance features. Some of the strings in the 33 are gorgeous for such an inexpensive module (for many years it was used as a secret weapon by the PSB and used on several major releases).
any more details of this? a particular editor to use? id love to look into this programming FM more. recently traded for a SY22 and it has been useful for a fresh dose of non-analog sounds, choirs, digi-waves that sort of stuff....

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:40 pm

c-level wrote:any more details of this? a particular editor to use? id love to look into this programming FM more. recently traded for a SY22 and it has been useful for a fresh dose of non-analog sounds, choirs, digi-waves that sort of stuff....
The editor is called SY_Edit V2.1 - it is available here:

http://www.plompy.co.uk/software/

Please note that this supports SY22 and TG33 but is getting on a bit now and you may need to run it in an older version of Windows. It gives you access to the whole synth including the FM synth parameters.

Rather unusually, the FM engine forming part of the SY22/TG33 is only 2OP but because it is used to effectively form partials and parts of vectored layers/mixes it is still pretty effective especially in giving some expression to otherwise fairly static samples.

joeboy
Gear: ax-80, jx-8p, ms-20, tr-606, volca sample, ПИФ

Post by joeboy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:04 am

ninja6485 wrote:So it's not this patch you're thinking of? This is hard to beat when it comes to the sound you're describing! ;)
Heard this in an episode of Rocko's Modern Life last night lol