Any Love for the Octave Plateau Voyetra 8?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Any Love for the Octave Plateau Voyetra 8?

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 pm

I've come close to acquiring a Octave Plateau Voyetra 8 on several occasions now and would really love to hear from people who have had first hand experience with this curious old poly.

To date my favorite VCO based poly has to be the Rhodes Chroma which I had for many weeks during a major restoration which on finally blowing away the factory presets and loading up countless sounds from its now vast patch library blew me away with its sheer power/complexity of sound, modulation abilities and expression.

Just such a terrible shame its so uninviting to program from the front panel!
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: Any Love for the Octave Plateau Voyetra 8?

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:20 pm

I played a friend's Voyetra a couple of times but I couldn't help a certain feeling of unease creeping in from behind. It certainly is nice and *different* from other, more famous polyphonic synthesisers of that era but I'm not sure I would take the risk of serious electronic trouble if and when some vital part gives out. Also, programming a synthesiser this complex is no fun using this type of programming interface, mounted vertically in a 19" rack. I couldn't help the feeling of operating some great, albeit half-baked idea.

I think I would rather go for either a Rhodes Chroma or a Prophet 5 (Rev. 2 if it has to SSM).

OTOH, you are one h**l of a capable technician, and as such I guess you are not all too scared of a challenge like this in case something actually goes wrong :).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:I played a friend's Voyetra a couple of times but I couldn't help a certain feeling of unease creeping in from behind. It certainly is nice and *different* from other, more famous polyphonic synthesisers of that era but I'm not sure I would take the risk of serious electronic trouble if and when some vital part gives out. Also, programming a synthesiser this complex is no fun using this type of programming interface, mounted vertically in a 19" rack. I couldn't help the feeling of operating some great, albeit half-baked idea.

I think I would rather go for either a Rhodes Chroma or a Prophet 5 (Rev. 2 if it has to SSM).

OTOH, you are one h**l of a capable technician, and as such I guess you are not all too scared of a challenge like this in case something actually goes wrong :).

Stephen

:oops: :biggrin:

Looking at the service manual it seems its based on CEM3340 VCOs (as used in the MemoryMoog) and SSM 2044 VCFs (as used countless classic synths including the PPG Wave 2.3) so not quite unobtainium yet.

To be honest its often the higher volume designs or perhaps those built by the larger companies such as Yamaha that are the issue. To this day you could build over 80% of some of the vintage analogs from smaller companies from scratch eg. Sequential Six-trak (it is remarkable how so many classic parts are still in production to this day!) but to maintain for the long term something like a CS-50 is starting to become an issue as they are loaded with long obsolete custom Yamaha parts often robbed for the CS-80 (D'oh!).
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby synthparts » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:55 am

I have or have had just about every analog polysynth made and the V-8 is my favorite. The combination of CEM VCOs and SSM filters is unique and wonderful. The mod routings while not as extensive as the Andromeda or Matrix-12 are deeper than what you get on a Prophet-5 or Memorymoog (for example filter resonance is a mod destination). The UI isn't that bad after using it a while and there are computer editors. I have repaired a couple of them and it isn't that big of a deal. The usual occasional CEM/SSM/CMOS chip failures but easier to work on and more reliable that lots of other vintage synths. I made a demo of some sounds -

Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby madtheory » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:39 am

Nice demo! That's quite a distinctive sound. As you say, a hybrid of classic VCO and VCF. Bit of noise though- computer hash?

New Order appear to have used a couple of these from very early on (e.g. Blue Monday), and still do. This (on pads, brass and strings) and the SEM (on bass) are main analogues I think I hear on Sumner And Marr's first Electronic album (along with EII, Proteus, TR-909 D50 and M1 etc. etc.). Great album BTW.

The opening of Soviet has that Voyetra sound, then the Proteus strings come in.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:52 am

madtheory wrote:Bit of noise though- computer hash?

yeah, curious about that too--is that the V8, or the recording setup?
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby synthparts » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:01 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
madtheory wrote:Bit of noise though- computer hash?

yeah, curious about that too--is that the V8, or the recording setup?

It's the recording. Unfortunately I used a cheap portable recorder with the input set to mic instead of line.
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com
synthparts

Postby urgetoplay » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm

The Voyetra is great. Like any other interface you get used to it in time. I made an sheet that showed each pages assignments , made life a lot easier. You've probably read about the various revisions/issues/maintenance issues so I won't bore you repeating the obvious. Bottom line, get one if you can.
The Chroma is a fantastic synth. The interface issues are resolved by using either the very expensive programmer ( Enabler) or by purchasing two BRC controllers and printing out the overlays. Information can be found at www.rhodeschroma.com, Chris Ryan's amazing site that supports this under the radar gem.
I currently have 2 Chromas, one which I've never gotten around to reassembling. I purchased the new CPU (CC+), power supply and Poly AT strip for both. The original idea was to have a backup for parts but I ran out of time. I tried to sell the unassembled Chroma for quite a reasonable price with all the extras; got a buyer who backed out on me. Seems he wanted a completely refurbished Chroma for the price of parts.
It's still sitting downstairs in pieces. Here's a pic of the other one:
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.
urgetoplay

Postby HideawayStudio » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:30 am

synthparts wrote:I have or have had just about every analog polysynth made and the V-8 is my favorite. The combination of CEM VCOs and SSM filters is unique and wonderful. The mod routings while not as extensive as the Andromeda or Matrix-12 are deeper than what you get on a Prophet-5 or Memorymoog (for example filter resonance is a mod destination). The UI isn't that bad after using it a while and there are computer editors. I have repaired a couple of them and it isn't that big of a deal. The usual occasional CEM/SSM/CMOS chip failures but easier to work on and more reliable that lots of other vintage synths. I made a demo of some sounds -

Many thanks for posting your demo. It sounds great and reminds of my Omega 8 at times (with Moog + SEM LP/BP/HP/AP filers) which is probably the closest thing to a V8 money can buy these days.

I can hear osc sync effects in your demo - is there an x-mod feature too?

Does the instrument have a stereo output via auto-panning and/or any built in analog effects eg. chorus/ensemble?

Am I right in saying the MIDI is, rather bizarrely, on XLR sockets??
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 pm

HideawayStudio wrote: [...] Am I right in saying the MIDI is, rather bizarrely, on XLR sockets??

That's right. Another oddity I forgot to mention...

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." -- Chuck van Zyl / Star´s End

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby Roulade » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:32 pm

madtheory wrote:New Order appear to have used a couple of these from very early on (e.g. Blue Monday), and still do. This (on pads, brass and strings) and the SEM (on bass) are main analogues I think I hear on Sumner And Marr's first Electronic album (along with EII, Proteus, TR-909 D50 and M1 etc. etc.). Great album BTW.

The opening of Soviet has that Voyetra sound, then the Proteus strings come in.

It's all over Low-life and there are two of them to Gillian's right throughout Pumped Full of Drugs and the BBC live bits from 1984.
Roulade

Postby mdannyg » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:47 am

she also turns a knob on one at the beginning of the Perfect Kiss video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRqdOyMnnxM
mdannyg

Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Return to General Synthesizers