Ultravox Synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
monkeykong1

Re: Ultravox Synths

Post by monkeykong1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 am

I brought a Job Lot of DX7 Roms. One has "Jim Baker" "ULTRAVOX" "Hot Food, London" "Solos" "Chords"

Wonder if it is from Ultravox's studio.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Wasn't Hot Food the name of their publishing company? Or Midge Ure's? Or did I imagine it?
GC

monkeykong1

Post by monkeykong1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am

It was, thats why Im thinking it was used by them. It has presets like Chords 1, Solo 1. Chords 2 Solo 2. Gabrielle, Prophet 5. Looks like it could have been used live or in a studio.

But tne label says hot food studios london W1

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:13 pm

:shock:
Bitexion wrote:Their songs are pretty simple, why did they need SO many expensive synths to perform them? Surely it must be showing off, somewhat.

I mean, compare to a band like Iron Maiden. Each member has one instrument each (at least on stage). And that's enough. Ultravox needs 10 each?
Oh my! Put "dunce" hat on and stand in the corner boy! :roll: Only return to this thread after you have studied the works of the best Brit Synth Bands. I would think there are "uni" degrees in it nowerdays if not an OU degree or two will do.

I have this: Ultravox, The Collection, UTV1 Chrysalis 1984 (vinyl 12") - it's a great fix of Ultravox, I have in my car playing all the time.

At the time Midge, Billy and Warren were very forthcoming with info on what they were doing and how they did it. I remember seeing Midge demo an Atari sequencer on TV and we all droooooled.

And of course Ultravox were all very talented, work very hard and deserve 100% respect and admiration.
Bitexion take note of that word -> talent, it includes "knew what they were doing" ;)

Am I getting old?

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:15 pm

A few months ago, Billy Currie talked about his use of various string machines in Ultravox: