Looking forward...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Looking forward...

Post by sigment » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:49 pm

In contrast to the "Looking back..." thread, What items are you buying now and fully believe that in 20-30 years they will be worth a mint? And what are we paying too much for now that will be worth pennies in the future?

Instant classics: I just got a Bass Station II before they quit making them. I am not a 'collector', but I will make special effort to keep it clean and functional. I think that some companies like Korg, Waldorf are making small desktop modules that could be worth something in the far future.

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Looking forward...

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:31 pm

sigment wrote:What items are you buying now and fully believe that in 20-30 years they will be worth a mint?
Nothing.

30 years from now ISIS will rule the world and music will be outlawed.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:41 pm

Other than proven stuff like '50s Les Pauls etc. don't buy instruments expecting to make money on them down the road. The chances you'll make any money on them are slim to none. Even the old synths that seemingly sell for a lot of money now don't sell for more than they originally did when adjusted for inflation.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:28 pm

I agree that buying synthesizers isn't exactly an investment strategy. But I'd be willing to bet that the Elektron machines -- particularly the Analog Four, Analog Keys, and RYTM -- are destined to become classics in the future.

They already have a cult following, and although they're mass-produced in the ordinary sense, they're made in relatively small numbers compared to most Roland and Korg products, for example. The scarcity of the machines may also drive prices up in the future.

The only thing I wonder about is whether they will be serviceable in the future. I read on another forum that getting parts for the early Machinedrum (i.e., the Mk I) is already difficult, and those machines were released in the early 2000s. If they all turn into bricks, no one will want them! :lol:

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Great idea for a thread.
My suspicion is that it will be something we wouldn't consider, a left field candidate.
If you had told me in '83 or '84 that the TB 303 would become a highly desirable item, I would have laughed. But it is.

synthparts

Post by synthparts » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:01 am

Their won't be many but a few are already selling for more than they were new - Sunsyn, Andromeda, FR-777 come to mind...
Vintage Synth Parts - http://www.synthparts.com

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:24 am

max badwan wrote:Great idea for a thread.
My suspicion is that it will be something we wouldn't consider, a left field candidate.
If you had told me in '83 or '84 that the TB 303 would become a highly desirable item, I would have laughed. But it is.
Good point. I'll bet nobody saw that coming! :lol:

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:53 am

For sure 'investing' in instruments is like investing in cars. Most depreciate immediately, some less so, but end the end, they are only worth anything after 30 years in mint condition (and all of the costs that that applies) ;)

It will be fun in though, in 15-20 years looking back and trying to scrounge up enough 'old school' eurorack modules and a full set volcas to throw something together :lol:

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:45 pm

In 20 years modulars and Volcas will probably be as out of favor as 1990s digital synths and samplers are today.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:22 pm

I predict that in 20 years time the Akai Timbre Wolf will be worth a fortune. After all, it is so bad that Akai will only sell about 63 of them & the rest will be recycled into toilet seats.

So if you want to make a killing, order yours now ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Nobody saw the 303's value surge coming because there was a creative paradigm change centered around it. Instruments like the current machine drums will most likely never have such a paradigm change centered around them, simply by the virtue of what they do and how they work - and hence will most likely never see the kind of appreciation the 303 has seen. In addition, the classic period if electronic music is over, and the only way we will see anything approach the status of the classic instruments that have skyrocketed in value is if it is an instrument of a totally new type that can pioneer a new style of music that will be as much of a paradigm shift as what we've seen in the past. Right now a lot of the cool developments are focused on software and controllers, which may not have the same value longevity that physical instruments have. It is extremely unlikely that a drum machine, vco analog poly, analog monosynth, or sampler will rival what it already out, simply due to the fact that those things have already been done, and versions of those already occupy positions of historical importance. In short: look for something that is totally new, and of a unique type and classification.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:07 pm

Also, think about uniqueness in terms of how the instrument sounds. In the case of the 808/909/303, the minimoog, fizmo, etc; they're nearly unmistakable, even to casual listeners who are paying attention. What instruments today have that same individuality, character, and are immediately recognizable?
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

max badwan

Post by max badwan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 pm

ninja6485 wrote:Nobody saw the 303's value surge coming because there was a creative paradigm change centered around it.
I don't think there was a paradigm shift, rather a bandwagon to be jumped on. If there was a paradigm shift, the MC 202 would have been swept up as well.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:14 pm

With a 202 you actually have to write the sequences. With a 303 you just let the batteries run down and it writes them for you =D>

max badwan

Post by max badwan » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:59 pm

ninja6485 wrote:In short: look for something that is totally new, and of a unique type and classification.
I somewhat disagree - if we follow the 303 line, it could well be something we all think is a POS today, but today's 5 year olds go "wow" in 10/15/20 years time.