TR8 lighting front panel

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
princefan3

TR8 lighting front panel

Post by princefan3 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:16 am

Is it just me....I find trying to use the TR8 a bit of a struggle to see what I'm doing over the front panel lighting.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: TR8 lighting front panel

Post by pflosi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:57 pm

No, not just you - everything is hard to use with that amount of flashyness somewhere in the room... ;)

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 pm

For me the TR-8 lighting isn't too bad. But the System-1 lighting kills my vision in the dark. I've designed a set of rings that can be placed around the System-1 knobs to cut off the glare while still allowing them to be illuminated. The prototype parts arrived here just a few minutes ago. I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the day when I can go home and give them a test.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:23 pm

I think it's origins come from Japanese engineers being locked up in a 24th floor room working 20 hour days working through the glare of software programs emanating from 70 inch LED monitors. ;)

I think the new JD-XA looks like it will suffer the user to severe eye strain from the glaring number of red backlit knobs and controls that we've seen in images from NAMM.
Even some of the Moog Voyager's looked like the backlit panel would be too intense.

I had a nord lead 3 at one time, and I kind of liked the red rings around the knobs, but the JD looks like total saturation to me(but I think with a different color and less intensity it would look cool).
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Can't you dim the lights at all on it? You'd assume that would be a possibility..

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 am

Looked for the option of dimming the lights a little but no info on the crappy manual...there has to be some way of doing it...

It became an issue for me and I sold it. They need to look at this as I think they have made a boo boo there.

Anyway £ 300 quid towards a 909 helps....ha ha.

bombbomb

Post by bombbomb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:15 pm

How to dim the lights (and change color set):

http://blog.dubspot.com/roland-tr-8-tips/