Looking for a Synth..(Industrial/

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
trashfactory

Re: Looking for a Synth..(Industrial/

Post by trashfactory » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:46 pm

SQ-80 seems cool. How do those digital oscillators freak out or sound distorted. I was playing with a microkorg and realized it could be cool for some ambient and regular industrial soundscapes, but through distortion and trying to get some extreme tones, I wasn't very impressed.

Is the SQ-80 a different story?Will it sound around the same as an analog synth distorted. My music leans actually more towards death industrial/power electronics, but in the future I look to start on a completely old school industrial project. Will that work for DI/PE, all anyone in real life reccomends me is an analog mono or one of those indie noise synths, but the SQ-80 seems good because I could also play regular less harsh and simple industrial with it. Just no videos on how it is distorted. You tried this?

mitchelviolins
Gear: roland d110, yamaha dx21, microbrute
volcas: keys, bass, and beats
beatstep (2x) yamaha qx21
Band: mitchel violins

Post by mitchelviolins » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:51 am

most poly synths dont really like distortion. mono synths are much more suited for distortion. my microbrute has got along well with every dirt box ive put it through including the pe standard metal zone. defiantly dont disregard mono synths

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread, but if you want to pick up a nasty, dirty sounding synthesizer that I think would fit in well in industrial music is the M Audio Venom.
You can pick them up used on ebay for at least $200USD, and I've seen new for $350. These have been discontinued, so many of the big online stores no longer have them in stock.
Keep in mind editing from the front panel, especially in a live situation is very limited with minimum knobage on the front panel.
It does come with an editor, which greatly expands the editing possibility.

Hey, for that kind of money, you can pick one up and resell it if it doesn't fit in or inspire your music.
This would also leave room in your budget to pick up some effects pedals or a sampler.

Lots of great demos on YouTube, this is just one, and I used it because I like SynthMania's demos.

Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:38 am

couple ideas I want to throw out there. I'm a big afficianado of Industrial stuff from Throbbing Gristle through Cabaret Voltaire and SPK just before they basically became dance music production units.
I'd also include Sharkbait, Grotus, Einsturzende Neubauten, Beatnigs and Crash Worship as influences. This is kind of my thing?

As far as gear, I think it is important to notice that a lot of the really vital industrial stuff was done on minimal gear with a lot of ingenuity and elbow grease. Don't get too obsessed with having to have a particular piece of the puzzle before you can get stuff done. Lots of that stuff was done with a few tape machines and one monosynth, with a Korg Minipops or some other cheapo preset drum machine.
Tape looping is a very fun alternative to samples. Any cassette deck can be a looper. Wire the motor to the headphone jack, use a footswitch to stop and start the loop.
Who needs synths? take any 3 stompbox pedals, with one being stereo. Patch them in a circle and use one of the unused outputs to plug it into a mixer/amp. You can get great feedback loops this way at headphone levels. Digital pedals combined with analog ones are really great.

some pedals and a synsonics, with a Korg Poly 800 .

That all said. I've found the Elektron Machinedrum to be an amazing instrument for industrial tracks. It has an enormous range of sounds it can generate. Beyond just making Roland TRX0X type drum sounds and various rompler type hits, there are also sine, noise, impulse and other general purpose noises in there that you can mangle with various modulations, effects and such. You can find first gen MachineDrum SPS1 units for about $4-500. The later units and the ones that add sampling capabilities go for more like $800-1200 depending on features. They are deep, easy to use and can sound brutal.

As far as actual synths I would totally skip the BSII. I've tried those out on a few different occasions and always found them to be way too glossy and slick sounding. If I was making Hip-Hop or R&B I'd want one of those.
The Arturia Micro and Mini brutes are pretty mean sounding. They do have a toyish kind of feel to them compared to the Novation stuff though.
I'd also take a serious look at Modular gear. You could get a beauty case or happy ending kit and a few modules for $4-500. Synthrotek has some affordable modules, esp if you can solder.
You may be able to find a Doepfer Dark Energy for cheap used.
I picked up both of mine for less than $500 each. The Dark Energy is a modular style single synth voice. It can make utter garbled noise or melodic arpeggios. Plus it is very small, and has midi and USB inputs.

I'd encourage you to dig around on Craigslist and see what kind of fun stuff can be had cheap.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Nice track! You really do show things doing have to get too complicated!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Okay I kind of cheated. All the samples of political spokesmen were done after the fact in the DAW.
After my Akai 900 broke I couldnt really come up with a rational reason to have a sampler instead of just chopping it up on the timeline. I actually prefer the weird artifacting I can get by time stretching it wrong to the 12bit aliasing and artifacting.
Also dealing with floppies was a joke.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:25 pm

I hate floppies as well. But then I do like SCSI drives! I have about 10 SCSI devices (CD-ROMs, Zips, Jazes) hooked up to a computer and 5 samplers. But even better are HxC Floppy emulators.

I can see the appeal to just using a DAW to play back samples, especially dialog.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:03 am

You might want to take a look at the Mutable Instruments Shruthi. You can pick one of those up pretty dang cheap. I've seen then recently for $200.

If you're looking for sampling and synthesis, you could check out the Alesis Fusion. Has sampling and 4 different synthesis engines. Lots to explore and you have polyphony.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

SSquirrel

Post by SSquirrel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Last time I saw a thread like this, one of the recommendations was the Alesis Ion for the synth side of things. From videos I've watched I can see how it would work well

Cerebral Infect

Post by Cerebral Infect » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Honnestly, if you don't have much money to spend on a synth for industrial music (well any synth can be use for industrial music), I would go for a digital/VA synth. here we go :

Cheap Access Virus (any kind) maybe you can get a deal
Alesis Ion, Micron, Akai Miniak (easy vocoder access)
Novation X-station, Nova, Supernova, A-Station, K Station, Ks-4,KS-5 & mininova (mininova is cool for the vocal features)
Mutable Instrument Shruthi-1 : great monosynth with various waveforms features.
Waldorf Pulse 1 : Maybe you can get one used one for a nice price. It is a poor man minimoog but with a german accent (I actually often prefer the pulse over the minimoog)
Korg MS2000 (at a good price of course)
Minimoog Voyager, Pulse 2, MS-20 Mini, Bass Station 2, Virus TI,DSI Mek, DSI Prophet 08, Nord Modular G2, x0xb0x, MB-6582, Sammich FM, Shruthi XT, Juno 106, S90ES, TX81Z, DM10X e-drums, Rocktron Banshee, Dr-110 and too many VSTs.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by calaverasgrande » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:37 am

It is actually pretty shocking how cheap the various Waldorf rack mount units can be found for on Ebay and craigslist. The versions with the non-analog filters are less desired, so go for a song.
Also, they have lately been collector nerded up in price but the Casio SK1 and SK5 are pretty good for making tracks. Beatnigs used these a lot on their stuff before they blew up and turned into Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprasy (and could afford Akais).
They didnt just us the samples either!

tshear23
Gear: Creamware Prodyssey, Roland SH-101 With Novamod, Green Sequential Circuits Pro One, Oberheim Matrix-6R
Band: Assemblage 23

Post by tshear23 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:22 am

I did my first album using nothing but an Ensoniq EPS-16+ sampler. Still have it. It's great for grunging up sounds.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/contempt/id413200832

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:12 am

tshear23 wrote:I did my first album using nothing but an Ensoniq EPS-16+ sampler. Still have it. It's great for grunging up sounds.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/contempt/id413200832
And I'm still pretty blown away by that, Tom.

blakeq

Post by blakeq » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:33 am

Anything from the Kurzweil k2xxx series would be great, k2500 or higher would be best. Give you some samples built in, a ton of synthesis options and the ability to load samples.

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:29 pm

So I largely make stuff in an angry industrial style, and even softer songs can have an edge to them so I thought I'd pitch in if that ok, here's what I use.

Synths:

Casio FZ1 - A very nice sampler with gnarly hybrid filters, sounds kind of MS20 like, very snappy envelopes, additive synthesis and subtractive synthesis options.

Yamaha TG33/TG55 - The 33 is the pick of these as it has more interesting waveforms, however the 55 has classy filters, they both have an insane distortion and can do 80's horror track kinda stuff - just search "this is what a TG33 sounds like" on google to hear. They also have an incredible, naïve early 90's reverb, love it!
Yamaha RY30 - A deep drum synth which takes effects extremely well.

Yamaha ED10 - Analogue percussion with ring mod.

Yamaha DX7 or DX11 - the 7 is the 12 bit king of grunge, the 11 is easier to use and sounds exactly like a sega megadrive, beautiful robot aliasing if you mess around in the high octaves :)

Ensoniq VFX SD II - Got this for £100, it's a classy sounding wavetable synth but is very easy to make sound broken by abusing the effects parameters, ie delay feedback all the way up and time very short, it just aliases like a b***h!

Roland MT32/D110 - Very cheap synths, but very capable with sound diver/editor use, lots of odd and cool sounds can come out of these.

Arturia Microbrute - Came up with some insane stuff using this, the brute factor knob adds massive instability to certain patches, the sound literally breaks up higher up the scale.

Toy keyboards: The pick of these include the Casio MA100 which has a load of very gritty weird samples in, and alias even more if you turn down the volume on the keyboard, and turn it up in the mixer, due to its 4bit DAC. The Yamaha PSS390/460/570/680/780 and the holy grail PSR 36 are all editable FM instruments with either sliders or sysex, only the 680/780 and 36 have MIDI but you can always cut stuff up. My fave is the 390, weird a*s sounds that can be very well processed. Yamaha DD range instruments are fun to circuit bend.

Blue Lantern Dwarf Star - Insanity, you can FM everything to everything and then FM it some more :) Great tone.

Korg Mono/Poly - So special, so many little secrets hidden in there, the sweet spots are epic.

Korg Monotribe - A really cheap way to get a very very fast LFO for insane filter FM.

Bastl Mono FM - Still learning this one, experiments have looked favourable, a really insane FM monosynth.

Synthrotek Astronoise - Sounds like an Atari 2600, has digital noise and a few crazy LFO's that are unpredictable.

Kawai XD5 - Unique drum machine Rompler with ring mod, very nice to explore.

Effects:

WMD Geiger Counter - Wavetable bitcrusher, destroys you signal or simply adds character and movement.

Danelectro French Toast Octave Fuzz - Really one of the cheapest and best analogue distortion pedals for your synths, saturates in a very pleasing way.

Sounblox Multiwave Distortion - Either distorts regularly and nicely, or, on certain settings, makes everything sound like a broken megadrive, amazing on drums.

Yamaha GEP 50 - Really nice 90's multi FX for that particular vibe.

And we're done :)