GOOD LOOP PEDAL FOR SYNTHS

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CosmonautC

GOOD LOOP PEDAL FOR SYNTHS

Post by CosmonautC » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Hi there!! this is my first post, so in advance: thanks a lot for your help.

I have been using a hotone skyline wally looper for a while now, for my analog synth, but the product is not so good and becomes quite unreliable in terms of gigging and noise, so a change is mandatory.It randomly emits this white noise, ear destroying buzzing sounds when it feels like it. I have changed power adaptors, wiring etc etc

I have tried a guitar looper: the ditto and so and it seems to create an annoying unclean click/stop/silence in the transitions between overdubbing, specially in pad sounds. I am inclined to buy a jamman express, so I need to know if you use any loop pedals that you could recommend me specifically for synth use.

The hotone is a beauty for this, but I think bad batches of this product are everywhere, and faults cannot be allowed on stage. I have seen some of the past threads, and an interesting chart about them.

But what is your stand on products like these? I need one looper asap as I think the pedal is beyond repairing, and I have gigs in a couple of weeeks

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: GOOD LOOP PEDAL FOR SYNTHS

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:55 pm

Can't vouch for pedals but I've been using my maxxed-out Lexicon Jamman for nearly 17 years now. In a live situation, it does what it's supposed to do. Same thing with the Electrix Repeater (which I use for phrase sampling and sound mangling) and the Oberheim Echoplex Digital Pro.

Are you more into phrase looping (i. e. jamming to your own backing tracks recorded live) or are you into ambient soundscaping à la Robert Fripp's Frippertronics? I think you can't do wrong with the Boss RC series of pedals, and the Digitech Jamman might be worth trying as well.

www.loopers-delight.com is known to you, I presume?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Percivale
Gear: Blofeld, Juno-106, AN1X, MB-6582/SEQ V4, etc

Post by Percivale » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 am

Taken from link provided.

Current Real-Time Loopers
at the minimum, a Real-Time Looper must be able to sample audio and loop it on the fly, and allow the user to sample new material while the current loop is playing. Usually they do much more. These are live, performance-oriented looping instruments....

Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro Plus
Boomerang Phrase Sampler
T.C. Electronic 2290 Digital Delay
Lexicon MPX-G2
DJRND3
Line6 DL4 Modeling Delay
Red Sound C-Loops / Peavey Grabber
Eventide Orville
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station
Kyma with Looper Construction Kit
TC Electronic D-Two Delay
Maneco Loopers
Akai Headrush E2
Electro-Harmonix 16 Second Delay Reissue
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech GNX3 and GNX4
Digitech JamMan (new version)
Backline Engineering RiffBox
Zoom G2
Looperlative LP-1
Electro-Harmonix 2880 Super Looper
Boss RC-50 Loop Station
ppg_wavecomputer wrote: http://www.loopers-delight.com is known to you, I presume?

Rooftree

Post by Rooftree » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:14 pm

I believe that the Pigtronix Infinity allows you to specify fade or no-fade at the ends of loops. You can check their manual online. You might also want to check their site for a list of features in their latest firmware which was released a couple of months ago. The Boss RC-505 definitely allows you to specify if you want a smooth transition at the end of a loop.

I've used the following loopers with my synths:

Boss RC-20XL
Digitech Jamman Stereo
Pigtronix Infinity
Boss RC-505

The 505 is my absolute favorite. For my style of music and composition the others weren't a good fit. While they were all excellent pieces of hardware, I've found that I need several independent tracks with easily adjustable level controls.
Prophet 08 :: CS-30 :: Odyssey :: Korg 01W :: Juno-60 :: 606 :: Sonar :: soft synths