Synth to Complement Sub 37

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
abmusic

Synth to Complement Sub 37

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 am

Hi All,

Recently acquired a Sub 37 as a starting point for a blooming hardware synth collection--coming from software world but have used various analog gear during my time and am very well versed in subtractive synthesis theory.

The S37 obviously covers a lot of ground, but as we all know the buck seldom stops with just buying one piece of gear and getting into all of this has been a really fun source of inspiration and music making. So my question is: what would be a complement to the Moog?

Disclaimer: This is less of a "shootout" and more of a dialogue as to what people have found works best in tandem with a Moog from the phatty line--if I've learned nothing else, it's very clear that each instrument/synth has something that makes it special in its own way.

Background: I work exclusively in sequencing/composing via DAW (Cubase) for film/TV and want to build a hardware collection for the sound design possibilities, distinct tones, experimentation/happy accidents and to implement real musical instruments into my rig. I need some kind of break from the endless software tweaking. A lot of people I work for and with are guitarists so as a jazz pianist/keyboardist, I am really enjoying the idea of having real analog kit to add to my works as well (especially with orchestral samples and real recordings).

Here are some options I've found based on my budget (Edit: trying to stay below $800 but I know the Boomstars are a wee bit more) and just some basic opinions from me based on the research I've done--long time lurker.

Minitaur- some say it does bigger and fatter better than the phatty line, so this would be a no brainer if the difference is that big. However, if the S37 can shake a room and give good low sub basses that mix well with orchestral samples then I would shy from this option.

Pulse 2 - Seems packed with features and sound design potential once you learn the matrix for modulation and whatnot...all the Youtube demos sound great.

Boomstars - Specifically the ARP 2600 model for that filter and seems to be very far from the Moog sound.

Pittsburgh 10.1+ - Prebuilt modular which has extra cabinet space and can later be integrated into a bigger modular system if you wanted. My deadlines tend to be insanely quick though and I don't know if I'd want to get into modular esp if I had to go from cue to cue and recalibrate my modules every time a new sequence was opened. I really want to get my hands dirty with modular at some point though so maybe this can be where it starts since the S10 works with/without patch cables.

Bass Station 2 - Bang for buck but I fear the Sub 37 can take care of a lot of what this guy can do...sounds amazing though.

That being said, the stuff I heard from the MFB Dominion 1 blew me away but it costs as much as the Sub 37 :-/

Thanks for any input. Like I said, I know each unit has it's strengths/weaknesses/mojo just curious to how people would complement their own Moog Phatty.
Last edited by abmusic on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Re: Synth to Complement Sub 37

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:07 am

You might be better off getting some other type of synthesis. Perhaps something like the Evolvers, the Blofeld, or perhaps an FM synth. Saw, Tri, & Square can only go so far.

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:22 am

+1 on what jabberwalky said, also I would look for a poly either digital or hybrid like a ensoniq esq-1 or the korg dw 800

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 am

Thanks for the feedback. Based on these suggestions, it would seem like I'm fairly set with analog monos with a Sub 37, barring a higher pricepoint mono like a PRO2 or Voyager.

I like the idea of a Blofeld alot but I don't know enough about it to justify the cost when I have Omnisphere, FM8 and Zebra to make those kinds of sounds. As stated before though, having hardware control would be nice and reduce the number of active plugins in any Cubase sequence--currently more than I care to admit. It may be my own ignorance as well that's making me think the Blofeld would be redundant.

I will keep researching :)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:52 am

Of the synths you listed, I personally would go for the Pulse 2. If you understand subtractive synthesis it will be pretty easy to tweak and the (8 voice?) paraphonic feature would be great paired with the sub37. Thats just me though.

Ollimac73
Gear: Moog Sub Phatty, MFB Tanzbar, Ableton Live 9 Suite + Push

Post by Ollimac73 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 am

I was in a similar situation...I had a Sub Phatty to integrate with Ableton Live, working on "base sounds" for ads/tv/movie....I needed a poly-synth to integrate to the SubPhatty.
I chose a Yamaha MX49...it gives me a wide palette of sounds which I can tweak via Ableton, and they perfect mix with the nice bass from the Sub.

In your case the Sub37 already gives you a fantastic variety of sounds; I would integrate with something poly and functional a Pulse2/Strechfett, a Nord....a lot is depending in which type of sound you are looking for.

ejlif
Gear: Roland V synth Waldorf Q Roland Juno 106 MOOg slim phatty, Elektron analog 4, DSI P12, MS20 mini, Virus TI, Novation BSII,
Band: ejlif

Post by ejlif » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:21 pm

I'd go for something like a Dave Smith Prophet 12. To me that would give you a more well rounded pallet of sounds. You've already got a synth that does good bass and those type sounds. It seems dumb to get another mono synth when you are looking to expand your sound pallet. I'd get something way different like the P12 or a Roland V Synth or Waldorf Blofeld. The Virus is another thought. I've got all these and kind of did the same thing you are wanting to do in expanding your options. After over a year with all these synths I think the P12 is a good one and I live it personally better than any of the other ones I mentioned and especially it seems at least quite a bit different than a moog in it's sound and abilities.

super_doraemon
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Micromoog, Arp Odyssey, Roland Juno-106, Alpha Juno 1, Microbrute SE(orange), Rhodes Stage 73, Octatrack, Prophet 6
Band: Coral Bones, Pet Library

Post by super_doraemon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Perhaps a poly-synth with controls that are as immediate as those found on the sub 37? Juno 106s can be had for pretty cheap. If you're down to wait until June, the Prophet 6 would be amazing next to a Sub 37.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:47 pm

+ 1 on the Prophet 6. I hearing late 2Q, and that's if you got your pre-order in early, otherwise better think 3Q+

I had a P12, very amazing board, and it did quite well with the Sub37.

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:38 am

Appreciate all the feedback...it's made things easier and more complicated at the same time which is good :)

Prophet 6, 8 or 12 would be awesome but it's out of my price range currently.

Virus Snow looks to be amazing but I have to ask...if I have Zebra/Diva/Omnisphere, will I feel like it isn't going to give me that much more?

Waldorf Blofeld sounds great but I am forced to ask the same question...

Perhaps I'll save up for a DSI module and not rush into anything...or get the Virus because of Atomizer which would spice up a lot of my old loop libraries.

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:03 am

Actually...

What about this:

DSI Pro 2 - I feel like it sounds totally different than the Sub but they can also be linked together with their I/O options. Very cool.

Then I'd probably just stick to Zebra/Diva/Omnisphere for the big and polyphonic evolving atmospheres...

or

Virus TI Snow + MS-20 Module

My budget ballooned...this shouldn't surprise anyone :)

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:57 pm

I A/B'd all my synths at the weekend which I have never done. and the Sub37 sounds like no other mono I have. So any synth with compliment it ha. Seriously though, Do you need another right now or have you just been bitten by the bug?
I have put myself on a buying ban for a year now as I want to make music not collect.

abmusic

Post by abmusic » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:12 pm

It's a mix of the bug and wanting something to really expand the possibilities of the Sub 37 which are already staggering. The Virus really caught my eye for the sound and cool factor, but it's seeming like it might be overlap with my soft collection.

My work is slow right now so this would be an ideal time to implement new gear before deadlines start rolling in. The MS-20 Module and a Virus B sounded like an interesting combo, but someone showed me the Pro2 and it seems really intriguing.

Need would be a strong word--softsynths and the Moog will take me far--but want might be stronger!