Do people really not like the Micromoog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
WhinyLittleRunt

Do people really not like the Micromoog?

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 am

So what is it about a Micromoog that makes it one of the least desirable Moog synths out there?

(Quick backstory): I went into a Guitar Center (yeah I know) to see about trading some stuff and I brought the Micro down to see what they would give me for it. They had a Prodigy for sale that I really wanted to get and have had 10 years with the Micromoog so it was time to move on. Well they ended up telling me they'd sell it for $599 so I'd get a little over 350... I laughed and said forget it. The Prodigy was listed for $1199, and while a little high I could still justify it just because you know, it's a Moog so it can be priced high like that right? (sarcasm). Then I thought about it, and also checked some auctions on the Micromoog and realized people really aren't paying "Moog" prices for these.. at all. Back in 2005 I got mine for $800 and that was high... while it sounded beefier than my then-MG-1, it didn't have a second oscillator so I couldn't get those basses and leads I was used to playing. But it did have a lot more on board that could be done in the way of modulation and had that better Moog sound to it. In the end I parted with the MG-1 and kept the Micro. Though these days I'm looking to get back to the sounds I had then, and so I figured a cheaper way to get those would be with a Prodigy. It does everything I personally need it to do; I didn't need all those crazy sounds the Micro could do. But yet, the Micro falls far (and I mean far) behind in terms of pricing, and I figured there has to be some logical reason why other than single oscillator, but I'm really curious to know what the deal is, because if it isn't worth parting with, it will get used just fine, but I'm just surprised that, if we're going to play the "moog" game, a Moog that was built under the guidance of Bob wouldn't be worth more than one built after Bob left the company, rendering it not a "true" moog... :?
I like vintage synths....

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Re: Do people really not like the Micromoog?

Post by Alex E » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:38 am

I have this weird theory that it isn't overrated yet because it just looks different from other Moogs. No joke, I'm pretty sure aesthetics have something to do with exorbitant vintage synth prices. I mean look at the Jupiter-8 and Synthi AKS. God-tier appearance, absolute idiot-tier pricing.

Isn't the Multimoog a pretty decent deal too?
soundcloud.com/vectron

super_doraemon
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Micromoog, Arp Odyssey, Roland Juno-106, Alpha Juno 1, Microbrute SE(orange), Rhodes Stage 73, Octatrack, Prophet 6
Band: Coral Bones, Pet Library

Post by super_doraemon » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:44 am

The micromoog is a very excellent keyboard (especially the filter). Aside from the single oscillator thing, a reason for the lower price point would probably be the build quality. The Micromoog was introduced as a budget synth. It has wood grain stickers on its cheeks and the whole feel is a bit plastic and brittle. Also, don't go off guitar center as a price guide. They go on eBay, find the lowest price and divide that in half.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:23 am

I don't get why it's not more popular. Mine sits alongside a Model D, Arp Odyssey, SH-2, SH-101, CS-5 - and it is by FAR my favourite synth.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:19 am

Also, everyone thinks 1 oscillator means "thin sound"..which is obviously bullcrap.

My CS-5 sounds more ballsy than many 2 VCO synths.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:35 am

Looking at it, it's not the single oscillator that strikes me poorly so much as just the extreme oversimplification of the EG and modulation options. It's one thing to have that on a freaking Realistic item, but on something that's at least nominally a semi-professional synthesizer? Feh.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:08 am

commodorejohn wrote:Looking at it, it's not the single oscillator that strikes me poorly so much as just the extreme oversimplification of the EG and modulation options. It's one thing to have that on a freaking Realistic item, but on something that's at least nominally a semi-professional synthesizer? Feh.
Haha what is Feh?
Its actually quite well stocked for modulation options, at least compared to the Mini, Prodigy, Source and Rogue. I dig the EG too I guess as i've never felt limited by it. Maybe if it was a poly i'd like a variable sustain level though.

Bitexion wrote:Also, everyone thinks 1 oscillator means "thin sound"..which is obviously bullcrap.

My CS-5 sounds more ballsy than many 2 VCO synths.
CS-5 =D>

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am

I'm sure it has its uses -- but not for me, anyway.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:20 pm

I think your first mistake was thinking Guitar Center was going to give you anything for the micromoog.
Trade in value at Guitar Center is pennies on a dollar.

A quick glance at recent ebay auctions of sold micromoogs show them going from $700 and up.
Anything Moog, escpecially vintage will have a market.
It might be worth joining ebay, if you're not already a member.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:56 pm

bah humbug, keep it and use it it accrues more 'value' that way anyways ;) perhaps moogs best kept secret? sure the on/off sustain section is a bit annoying but give it up for the variable waveshape, octave doubling, and extensive modulation options. also plays really well with 'foogers and other CV gear. switch out the 3/16 modulation jack to quarter inch and make the floating ring cables it describes in the manual to patch in/out of the source dest.... thats where the fun begins...

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:40 am

The Micro sounds good. But hey, if I have to pay $800 for a single-oscillator synth AND get it fixed before I can use it (which is almost always the case with vintage analog), forget it. I can find better ways to spend $1,400.

I would probably use it only for basses anyway, and a used, $400 Minitaur can run circles around the Micro. If you're feeling the need for a budget Moog, the Minitaur is the way to go, IMO.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Bitexion wrote:My CS-5 sounds more ballsy than many 2 VCO synths.
I highly disagree. With PWM on, maybe, it beats some synths because the PWM is so nice. But in general the Roland monos have a ballsier sound than the CS monos IMO. I had 2 CS5 and a CS10. Three oscillators sounded thin, two was good but not as ballsy as,say, a Pro 1 with 2 oscillators going. What monos you thinking of?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:14 pm

I have the two oscillator Micromoog (the Multimoog), perfect condition, looks the same as the Micromoog but longer. It sounds fantastic, using the aftertouch to control sync between the two VCO's is out of this world. But I bet I would be lucky to get $600.00 for it if I tried to sell it.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:19 pm

madtheory wrote:
Bitexion wrote:My CS-5 sounds more ballsy than many 2 VCO synths.
I highly disagree. With PWM on, maybe, it beats some synths because the PWM is so nice. But in general the Roland monos have a ballsier sound than the CS monos IMO. I had 2 CS5 and a CS10. Three oscillators sounded thin, two was good but not as ballsy as,say, a Pro 1 with 2 oscillators going. What monos you thinking of?
He might also be meaning that the one VCO synths are often the best for bass sounds as once you put two analog VCO's together they will inevitably drift and your track will have an inconsistent bottom end as the oscillators drift in and out of phase.

I agree that the CS-5 is a great bass synth ( I have several CS series synths) but I think that the Roland SH-2 is king by a small margin in the bass department.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

antilles
Gear: Virus C, String Melody II, Triton, MS-20, M1, Juno-60, Paraphonic 505, SH-09, VK-09, JD-800, JD-990, Pro One, CS-30, SY-1, TX81Z
Band: Antilles

Post by antilles » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:05 pm

I'd love to have a Micromoog. Despite the single VCO I think it sounds great. On the other hand I would definitely prefer the Multimoog. Now the fact that the Multimoog isn't more popular is really baffling.