Do people really not like the Micromoog?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: Do people really not like the Micromoog?

Post by Cumulus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:45 pm

I don't know what the deal is but I had a Micromoog on extended loan from a band ate and absolutely loved it.

This was before I got my Minmoog and I seem to remember liking the filter better than what I have on the Mini.

Perhaps it is just the looks.

I'll take it off your hands for twice what GC offered you...
Last edited by Cumulus on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:14 pm

CZ Rider wrote:One unique routing is the pitch bender goes through the glide circuit. Giving portamento to the pitch bend lever.
That's interesting. Will have to try this on the modular :thumbright:

Nils

Post by Nils » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:12 am

c-level wrote:but back to the micro moog, whats the next 'affordable' synth you can buy that has 'filter mod by osc' parameter? like, a pro one or oddysey? and thats not even very affordable....
Kawai S-100F. Probably my first choice for a 1-vco vintage synth.
It's got a wonderful tone, and it's a real oddball (in a good way).

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:38 am

c-level wrote:
WhinyLittleRunt wrote:
ninja6485 wrote:a micromoog with two oscillators
So just this week, I borrowed a FreqBox and a CP-251 to try and duplicate the whole 'add a second oscillator to the micromoog' just for fun, and it hasn't been fun yet :roll: But, I like when these threads grow, because for me they are motivating enough to go try things on my gear that I never did before, and find I actually like the results.
results? id be interested in either hearing or hearing about the success/difficulties of your attempt?

I got it working. And actually, it's very cool. Took a while to get it all scaled and in tune but I have effectively added a second oscillator to the Micromoog using the FreqBox and the CP-251 for the attenuator.

I'll have to post a sound sample soon. Actually made me enjoy playing the thing for once!
I like vintage synths....

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 pm

WhinyLittleRunt wrote: I got it working. And actually, it's very cool. Took a while to get it all scaled and in tune but I have effectively added a second oscillator to the Micromoog using the FreqBox and the CP-251 for the attenuator.

I'll have to post a sound sample soon. Actually made me enjoy playing the thing for once!
i could see using the CP251 to mult the MIDI>CV signal from my kenton and using it to track the Freq Box, then putting the Freq box into the audio/filter in of the micromoog to make it sound more natural. you might miss out on all the sync? but i was trying to devise a way to get this done without needing to use the audio of the micromoog, going back into it and probably making a feedback loop...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 pm

I had a blast when I found out that Yamaha CS-series and Korg MS-series used the some Hz/V CV scheme. Played my CS-15 like a 3 VCO megasynth paired with my MS-10 :D Sent the CS-15 audio through the MS-10 filter and played the whole shebang from the CS15 keyboard.
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:38 pm

c-level wrote:
WhinyLittleRunt wrote: I got it working. And actually, it's very cool. Took a while to get it all scaled and in tune but I have effectively added a second oscillator to the Micromoog using the FreqBox and the CP-251 for the attenuator.

i could see using the CP251 to mult the MIDI>CV signal from my kenton and using it to track the Freq Box, then putting the Freq box into the audio/filter in of the micromoog to make it sound more natural. you might miss out on all the sync? but i was trying to devise a way to get this done without needing to use the audio of the micromoog, going back into it and probably making a feedback loop...
I hooked it up as follows:

Micromoog keyboard OUT to CP251 Attenuator IN
Attenuator OUT to FreqBox FREQ IN
OSC OUT to AUDIO IN on FreqBox
AUDIO OUT to Micromoog AUDIO IN

Then the keyboard attenuator knob on the Micromoog has to be adjusted along with the attenuator knob on the CP251 to get things in tune. To do just a basic, secondary oscillator that blends in normal I keep the ENV and FM off, Drive off, Sync off, and just use the VCO freq knob to tune it up and do it by octave, so tune the lower keys, mess with the attenuation, then higher keys, etc, same thing. It will eventually track. I let the FreqBox tune up for a little while before I even started.

If you turn the pedal off, you get a weird drone OSC sound, so what I would do is just turn the output level down all the way with the pedal engaged and it reacts normal as a 1 osc synth. I turn the output knob up about halfway to get that dual-osc sound.

I was surprised it ended up working but I was playing with it more last night and I got some crazy good Minimoog-like bass. Could have fooled my ears, honestly.
I like vintage synths....