Cheap As Chips

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
the synthman

Re: Cheap As Chips

Post by the synthman » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:51 am

Where do you guys find these things?

Dr. Phibes

Post by Dr. Phibes » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 am

bochelli wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:I saw that Godwin on ebay. To be fair it was a bit of a heap.
Upon inspection inside the slider tops were there the masking tape residue made it look bad the panel otherwise is ok, no missing parts its now getting looked at if it cant be fixed will still have parts value stripped off.
Fair do's. Cosmetic damage tends to put me off more than electronic issues.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:07 am

Dr. Phibes wrote:
bochelli wrote:
Dr. Phibes wrote:I saw that Godwin on ebay. To be fair it was a bit of a heap.
Upon inspection inside the slider tops were there the masking tape residue made it look bad the panel otherwise is ok, no missing parts its now getting looked at if it cant be fixed will still have parts value stripped off.
Fair do's. Cosmetic damage tends to put me off more than electronic issues.
That's exactly why I sold my Godwin some years ago -- wonderful sound, but the looks... rusty like an old Alfa Romeo sportscar.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm

The panel is quite good the tape residue will come off , will need new mdf side panels busted keys should not be a issue ive had free a octave cat and kitten I had to collect kitten and paid cat post even today the one off gem still can be located for nothing or little cash.
yamoto773

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 pm

Paid 35 quid .'.for a mk3 odyssey and a ms20 plus a korg delta .....I remember the guy raving on about his korg m1.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

abruzzi

Post by abruzzi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 pm

I got a free ARP Omni II years ago. Some of the keys didn't work. I used it for a while, then passed it on for free. Didn't seem right to make money off it.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 am

mpa1104 wrote:Best deal for which I did part with some cash: EMS VCS 3 Mk2 + Random Voltage Generator + Pitch to Voltage Converter = ... let's just say less than $400 AUD :)
Oh come on man, really? When was this? Hope you still have it :)

Europanaut

Post by Europanaut » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Free Jupiter 4 here. Last year.

I've received other nice synths as gifts, but I don't count those. They are from owners who know that their old instruments will be played and maintained at my studio. But the J4 was just sort of out of the blue. The right place at the right time.

Oh, the $60 JX10 is pretty good too.

JayEm
Gear: KorgPoly800 Monotron MonotronDuo MonotronDelay Monotribe VolcaBass MS20Mini MS2000 MFB522 Arturia Minibrute Yamaha CS-15D Tama TechstarTS305
Band: datapark / KNUCKLEFACE / JayEm

Post by JayEm » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:27 am

i need to meet some people with superfluous synths to give away. :shock:

I once gave away a Korg DDD-5 because I never used it, and couldn't figure out the sequencer anyhow.
Now someone is selling a DDD-1 locally on Kijiji and I'm severely tempted. Wonder if paying it forward really works?
w00t

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:04 am

I have you all beat.

Bought a Yamaha CS01, a (mostly ruined) Juno 106, a Casio SK1, like 6 casiotones and a Univox Uni-Vibe (!!!) a little less than 10 years ago for $4. No joke. What a haul. Wish I still had some of that stuff!

It was all purchased through legitimate means from my high school. Took me a couple years of negotiation to get it all before I graduated. I used to borrow the Juno all the time with permission. After I brought it all home, my principal explained to me that there was more stuff that the school may have thrown out when it was renovated in 2000. Exactly what that could have been, I'll never know.
soundcloud.com/vectron

ranzee
Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Post by ranzee » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:11 am

picked up a Roland GAIA SH-01 for around $200US/EU this past week - not a vintage bit of gear - but I always wanted one, just didn't want to pay retail ;)

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:38 am

From Yamaha Ireland (now gone) I got:

- 3 boxed CS01 IIs ad a boxed CS01 for about £100 - £120 for all four (can't remember the exact price but no more than about £30 each).
- VL1 for £800 (when released, and at the time they were £3999 - it was used once by U2 then I got it :-) )
- Ex demo mint condition CS40M for £250
- Ex demo mint condition CP35 and CP25 electric pianos for about £50 for the two
- When closing down, they gave be about 50 IG chips (for CS range), and a DX100, for free

I miss Yamaha Ireland :-)

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
mpa1104 wrote:Best deal for which I did part with some cash: EMS VCS 3 Mk2 + Random Voltage Generator + Pitch to Voltage Converter = ... let's just say less than $400 AUD :)
It was pre-internet, 1989 or 1990, so still a time when old analogue was relatively unfashionable and this was an ad in the SA Trading Post. My eyes lit up when I read it. Only a few months prior I'd missed out on a fantastic condition Minimoog (and that was under $500!) because I didn't have the money. There was no way I was going to let a VCS 3 slip through my fingers, and I had saved enough dosh by that stage. So, a phone call and a drive to the other side of the city, I was a happy man.
Of course I still have it, it might be undergoing some serious repair right now, but it'll be prised from my cold, dead fingers!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:58 pm

mpa1104 wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
It was pre-internet, 1989 or 1990, so still a time when old analogue was relatively unfashionable and this was an ad in the SA Trading Post. My eyes lit up when I read it. Only a few months prior I'd missed out on a fantastic condition Minimoog (and that was under $500!) because I didn't have the money. There was no way I was going to let a VCS 3 slip through my fingers, and I had saved enough dosh by that stage. So, a phone call and a drive to the other side of the city, I was a happy man.
Of course I still have it, it might be undergoing some serious repair right now, but it'll be prised from my cold, dead fingers!
Ah that's awesome, I remember the Trading Post, almost got a Minimoog on there myself but the seller sold it to another guy because I wasn't local, even though I replied first and he agreed to sell to me (that really sucked).

But yes sometimes it's just a matter of right time, right place. It's great you still have it, I haven't seen many around in Aus :)