Favorite use of the Jupiter 8

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
recordingpianoman
Gear: Roland Juno 106, Oberheim Matrix6, Yamaha V50, 1902 R. S. Howard upright piano

Re: Favorite use of the Jupiter 8

Post by recordingpianoman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:41 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted this one yet:

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:09 pm

Bitexion wrote:Many bands did that to prevent free advertising for synth brands in their videos. JM Jarre still does it live too. Even the bright red Nords have no logos on them. If you get no sponsorship from Roland, why should you plaster their logos everywhere in your music videos, afterall?
I figured they had a competing sponsor, not that they were just worried about giving away free mention of some brand.

So did Journey, or I guess it would have been Jonathan Cain, have a synth deal with someone, Yamaha perhaps, that would have precluded them from showing "Roland"?
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:00 pm

No sponsor for me, but I've always hidden the brand of my synths since the day where a light engineer told me that it was ugly to see in the light show.
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:10 pm

i seem to remember alicia keyes being the sole devotee of the yamaha jupiter 8.
what a colab...take that, korg
TWOHUNDREDTHOUSANDDOLLARS ON EBAY BUYITNOWLOL
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

philip

Post by philip » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi I've a question here for JP8 owners.Is it any good for some bass sounds? I mean are those envelops fast enough? I'm thinking of selling my lovely JU60 and maybe going for that TWOHUNDREDTHOUSANDDOLLARS one on ebay.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:49 am

it's very good at bass sounds, in some ways closer to a minimoog than any new moog...to my ears, anyway.

it is NOT 'aggro' or very saturated but a cleaner sound; nothing like a pro-one, arp or oberheim, but wetter and airier/// still has more grunt than any korg polysynth, except the maxi
the EGs are the best for acoustic-al sounds of any polysynth i've used - plucky or funky notes of whatever sort

the juno6 i have has nice EGs, acts the same as the 60.
In fact all 3 synths use the same IC component, but they do behave differently; JP-8 goes to longer release times and 'plucks' the filter and VCA in a more pronounced way that is sublime. And there are 2 EGs(JP-8 is dual timbre, so 4 in all) instead of only 1 and you can route EG1 to osc sync, PWM and osc pitch.
i haven't looked at it on a 'scope but i'd bet the juno has a tad flatter slope, but is not effectively slower that i can hear.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

alex_mauer
Gear: TX-802

Post by alex_mauer » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:00 am

Philip: I can't tell if you're joking... but...

The Jupiter-8 is great for basses, and the envelopes are super fast. Like Shaft said, it's not very saturated. If you're looking for aggressive or the largest sounding basses, mono synths are probably the way to go. The Jupiter-8 is great. It's my favorite analog synth, but I'm more interested in a super well rounded synth than bass sounds specifically.

One other thing to note is that the Jupiter-8 does not directly supersede everything your Juno-60 can do. The resonance cannot self oscillate. The control layout on the JP-8 is super great but still not as immediate as the simpler JU-60.

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:43 pm

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned, but I also love:

Blancmange 'Living on the ceiling' , the album its from, Was it 'Happy Families'?
&
Shreikback : 'OIL on Gold'

Quite a few more but Im not remembering them right now

VCO8

Post by VCO8 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:11 am

iphoenix wrote: Blancmange 'Living on the ceiling' , the album its from, Was it 'Happy Families'?
Yup. A JP-8, a Polysix and a Linn LM-1. I'm not sure what else they used around that time.

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 am

I love the arp bass on Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back" which apparently is a Jupiter 8.

VCO8

Post by VCO8 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:43 am

mdannyg wrote:I love the arp bass on Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back" which apparently is a Jupiter 8.
And OB-Xa brass

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:51 am

Bitexion wrote:Nick Rhodes' first synthesizer was a Jupiter-8, so that was used all over all the albums.
The others were added as they made money I suppose ^^
I know you were already corrected but this of course isn't true, the first album is full of prophet 5 and Crumar Performer, and some of the other synths mentioned. Jupiter 8 was on Rio (album) onwards.

Anyway to answer the q - Duran Duran RIO (the album not the song). The save a prayer lead sound being one great example. The arp on 'wolf is another example.

Micke > Any idea what specific combo or synth was used for the intro on New Religion - is THAT just jupiter 8 or a mix of things do you think? The filter sweep just before the drums kick in - Jupiter.. prophet? Sounds very "Roland resonance harmonics" to me so I'm guessing it's the JP-8. Did Rhodes still use the Prophet 5 on Rio album at all? (I know he still used the Crumar Performer on all 3 first classic albums - usually in the last chorus's of songs from Rio and Seven & TRT albums; but not sure if he abandoned the Prophet after the first album)

:mrgreen:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Pro5: yes, Nick used the Prophet 5 on both "Rio" and "Seven and the ragged tiger". According to a keyboard magazine interview, the intro to "New Religion" was created with the Prophet. The P5 was also part of his MIDI setup for the "Arcadia" album (1985) where it was hooked up to the Jupiter-8, a couple of Korgs (DW-6000?), and the Fairlight (he had the Jupiter-8 and Prophet MIDIed during the course of the album).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:19 am

Kajagoogoo!

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Micke wrote:Pro5: yes, Nick used the Prophet 5 on both "Rio" and "Seven and the ragged tiger". According to a keyboard magazine interview, the intro to "New Religion" was created with the Prophet. The P5 was also part of his MIDI setup for the "Arcadia" album (1985) where it was hooked up to the Jupiter-8, a couple of Korgs (DW-6000?), and the Fairlight (he had the Jupiter-8 and Prophet MIDIed during the course of the album).
Thanks! :)

As a future prophet 6 owner that's cool to know (they are some of my favourite sounds on Rio) - not saying the 6 will sound exactly like the 5 but nice to be in the same ball park. :mrgreen: