Suggested ESQ-1 upgrades

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TheKeytarist

Suggested ESQ-1 upgrades

Post by TheKeytarist » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:38 pm

I have officially acquired my first truly vintage synth! Off hand right now I know it needs the internal battery replaced. On top of that, the keyboard has occasional glitches and the sustain pedal input functions intermittently. Those are things I will most likely have a tech look at. Before I do that I'm wondering if there are any after market upgrades to get- adapters for the EPROM cartridge slot, CPU upgrades or expanding the wave memory etc... I've done a few searches but I'm still not quite sure what all is out there.

Anything? =D>
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Suggested ESQ-1 upgrades

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm

You want the latest OS installed (3.5).

There are no "adapters" for the cart slot, just carts.

There was an upgrade for the sequencer...stock it only holds 2400 events, the upgrade boosts this to 10,000 which makes it a lot more useful.

Visit Syntaur who are the best source for old Ensoniq parts.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Congrats on your new purchase, great synth. :)

The battery is pretty easy to replace yourself.
My soldering skills are minimal, but it's basically desoldering the old battery, removing it and soldering the new one in place.
I did it on VFX-SD with no problem. I don't remember if it was soldered directly to the motherboard, or connectors that are soldered to the board.
Maybe someone who's done it on the ESQ-1 can add to the discussion.

This ebay seller includes directions, and specifics to which battery the ESQ-1 uses.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ensoniq-Memory- ... 1c21c186d1
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

TheKeytarist

Post by TheKeytarist » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Okay cool! I am planning on doing the battery soon and the OS soon after that. I love the sounds this thing has. It really is a shame no one has hacked this yet like the profit 600 cpu upgrade...

Cheers!
"A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one."
— Benjamin Franklin

:keys1: :drums: :keys2:

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 am

Our Germanic friend Ranier Buchty (Master of all things ESQ/SQ80) has lots of great stuff in the pipeline.

http://www.buchty.net/ensoniq/shop.html

Wavefore expantion that gives the ESQ ALL of the SQ80 waves!

NEW mpu that replaces and emulates the custom display chip that is no longer to be found in this dimension!

Good to know there are great minds at work to save our vintage keys!
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:13 am

Well done on the purchase - very nice synth this one.

I've done a battery replacement on my ESQ with no problem - just make sure you have the correct battery, if you're the least bit unsure, ask someone at the electronics store (glad I did since I was on the verge of getting the wrong one which could have caused some damage apparently). Ranier Butchy has all the appropriate tech specs.

In addition to the Butchy site, there's also this if you haven't already found it;

http://www.scoreforsale.com/index.html

This is an excellent site for all things ESQ-1/SQ80, in fact, it enabled me to resurrect my otherwise comatose ESQ with the information on soft vs. hard resetting. I thought I'd have to prepare for sourcing replacement chips after a couple of dire predictions. Then, after a hard reset, good as new and working perfectly!
There are also some excellent tutorials, including one on using the osc sync as PWM (a hot topic elsewhere around here atm).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

max badwan
Gear: T1, XV 5080, ES1, Zaquencer

Post by max badwan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:49 am

There's also a 20,000 note sequencer expander - the SQX-20, in addition to the SQX-10.
TheKeytarist wrote:It really is a shame no one has hacked this yet like the profit 600 cpu upgrade...
Agree.