how to vintage your synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: how to vintage your synth

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Lame attempt at humour. Might have been better if he didn't sound like a paedo.. or maybe not. :roll:

And anyway, he forgot paint spatter and gaffer tape residue, that s**t is always on old gear.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:55 pm

Lol. This reminds me of that time when the chip tune dorks threw a hissy fit over someone copying their gameboy music.

synthRodriguez
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog - Roland - Yamaha

Post by synthRodriguez » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 pm

The most interesting thing for me is the is the range of responses, from "that's funny" to "that's immoral". We're a diverse bunch to all have the same love of vintage synths.

To me, it doesn't matter if it had been a mint Jupiter-8 or a DX7, it's a moronic premise with no redeeming qualities, artistic, philosophic, comedic, or otherwise. It's just a stupid video. Didn't watch more than a few seconds here and there; it's just a waste of time.

Like posting about it here isn't. :D
Last edited by synthRodriguez on Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:17 pm

As others have said, the funniest aspect of this video is the reactions of some of the posters here. Woe is me, he mashed up a DX7, I shall exhume the corpses of his loved ones and desecrate their corpses in an unflattering manner.

Seriously...it's a synthesizer, and one of the most produced of all time, it's not like he's deprived the world of some obscure gem.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Of course, some responses were over the top, but I still think, that it's wrong. And, unfortunatly, not funny at all.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:09 am

anybody mad about someone smashing a dx7 has clearly never programmed one

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:30 am

this was pretty funny actually. He couldve done better with it but the point of the video is the subject/message and not necessarily exactly what he is doing.

I kept watching hoping he'd p!ss on it at some point with a one liner like "you know with all those color fading issues on some of the old rolands, staining your synth with a nice coat of 'boozer delight' urine might add not only great tone and texture, but give you that real truck stop smell."

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:05 am

moremagic wrote:anybody mad about someone smashing a dx7 has clearly never programmed one
Now that's funny!

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 pm

sentientprogram wrote:
moremagic wrote:anybody mad about someone smashing a dx7 has clearly never programmed one
Now that's funny!
It isn't true, though.
Free the Jupiter 8!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:57 pm

I guess the major handicap to this being humorous is that it seems to be a joke made to guitarists with keyboards.

We don't seek keyboards for looking old and worn. In fact, keyboards that are worn or damaged INVARIABLY have considerably less value than those which are not worn or damaged. When we see a damaged or worn keyboard, we immediately think "ooh, maybe I can get a deal."

The whole point of vintage in regard to keyboards has to do with tone. Or, to some, reference and/or nostalgia. We don't have an aspect of attraction born of wear.

So the whole thing is more of a head-scratcher than anything else.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

philip

Post by philip » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Infinity Curve wrote:Come on guys, that was at least a little bit funny.

It wasn't

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:34 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I guess the major handicap to this being humorous is that it seems to be a joke made to guitarists with keyboards.

We don't seek keyboards for looking old and worn. In fact, keyboards that are worn or damaged INVARIABLY have considerably less value than those which are not worn or damaged. When we see a damaged or worn keyboard, we immediately think "ooh, maybe I can get a deal."

The whole point of vintage in regard to keyboards has to do with tone. Or, to some, reference and/or nostalgia. We don't have an aspect of attraction born of wear.

So the whole thing is more of a head-scratcher than anything else.
+1
Not to mention the fact that the dx7 is already a vintage synth to begin with...
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:23 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I guess the major handicap to this being humorous is that it seems to be a joke made to guitarists with keyboards.
+1

I am fairly familiar with guitars, and have built a few ones myself (not for sale, just for my own use and pleasure).

There is a 'relic' and 'ageing' hype going on in the guitar world that is just as unfunny as this video.
I mean, of course my and other people's guitars get a dang here and a scratch there after a while. That's normal, and I don't mind.

But doing this on purpose? Paying some 'custom shop' lots (and I mean lots) of money to turn a perfectly new guitar into something that looks as if it's been thrown around for decades?

C'mon... that's as honest and trustworthy as buying some printed poster of a Rembrandt masterpiece and claiming it to be the real thing 8-) .

Same goes for synths, despite this video attempting to be satire.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 pm

People have been "distressing" furniture for decades to get that "vintage" look. It's just as silly there as it is here.
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.

chimney chop
Band: boxc, cigarettes after sex

Post by chimney chop » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:32 pm

god save me from this thread