New Elka Synthex?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

New Elka Synthex?

Post by pflosi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:12 am

http://bringelkaback.com/index.html

Let's see what happens here...

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Re: New Elka Synthex?

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:42 am

Belated April's Fool?

What's next? CS80?

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:03 am

I wasn't sure either, but it wasn't posted on the 1st...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:10 am

It's legit. That's the company that bought the Elka brand. I guess it's a way of surveying the market for a remake. I'd sign up, but I'd never be able to afford one.

21 followers on Twitter...

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:20 pm

How will they get CEM's enough you reckon?

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:39 am

Cybercardinal wrote:How will they get CEM's enough you reckon?
Rumors a while back mentioned that Behringer (who now have their own plant) were to start re-manufacturing Curtis chips for their own analogue poly. The revived GEM company would be an obvious customer ;)

volumetrik

Post by volumetrik » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:57 am

Broadwave wrote:
Cybercardinal wrote:How will they get CEM's enough you reckon?
Rumors a while back mentioned that Behringer (who now have their own plant) were to start re-manufacturing Curtis chips for their own analogue poly. The revived GEM company would be an obvious customer ;)
Yeah Uli posted on GS, full post here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10679299-post542.html
In order to pursue our plans, we realized that we needed specific engineering horse power in both the analog and digital domains. On the analog side, because most classic designs are based on Curtis/SSM chips which are no longer available, we looked into replacing these legacy components with equivalent parts with exactly the same functionality. We partnered up with a semiconductor foundry Coolaudio and developed analog and mixed architecture semiconductors such as VCA’s and the highly desirable BBD’s (Bucket Brigade Delay lines) used in analog chorus and delay effects such as the original Juno’s etc.
At the same time we studied the legacy Curtis and SSM chips and we’re in the process of designing our own versions of these highly regarded IC's in collaboration with Coolaudio.

commodorejohn
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, Oberheim SEM

Post by commodorejohn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:12 am

Duuuuuude. This could be interesting.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:24 am

Definitely exciting news! I signed up and I'll keep my fingers crossed some money starts to rain here :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Some patent-holding j**k will probably clamp down on their Curtis chip recreations and demand so much in "royalties" that the project will die before it even started.

Remember what happened to ARP when they cloned the Moog ladder filter back in the 70s?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Far out, didn't expect that. :shock:

I kinda have mixed feelings about it though, on the one had it's awesome news, on the other I'd hazard a guess that it'll cost about as much as the old ones do anyway. Plus what else did the old Elka brand have to offer before? Sorry but not exactly full of memorable products, one hit doesn't make a company...

And an Italian brand resurrected in Finland? err right. :lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:19 pm

The synthex was hardly a "hit" anyway, it was just used prominently by some very famous artists like Stevie Wonder and Jean-Michel Jarre (everyone knows the laserharp sound is a Synthex).

It came out just as the digital synths took over the planet, and was incredibly hard to market to people who would just laugh at such an old relic or compare it with their Prophet-5 and Jupiter-8s and whatnot. And why would people wanna buy a knob-heavy synth like that when the latest and the greatest were DX7s and other synths with no knobs and fancy computer interfaces were all the rage?

Paul Wiffen tried to market it to musicians at NAMM 1984 and was met with mostly mocking laughter at a synth that looked like an old relic, that used a chorus effect to cheat to sound "fatter" because it had digital oscillators.
"Turn off the chorus, ok it just sounds weaker than my Prophet lulz is this a string machine?"

Elka were sadly 4 years too late to the analogue synth train.
Last edited by Bitexion on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

salwa

Post by salwa » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:42 pm

Bitexion wrote:Some patent-holding j**k will probably clamp down on their Curtis chip recreations and demand so much in "royalties" that the project will die before it even started.

Remember what happened to ARP when they cloned the Moog ladder filter back in the 70s?
As far as I know, patents for Curtis chips expired.
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:48 pm

salwa wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Some patent-holding j**k will probably clamp down on their Curtis chip recreations and demand so much in "royalties" that the project will die before it even started.

As far as I know, patents for Curtis chips expired.
It would have to be expired by now. Patents are only good for 20 years.

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:20 pm

:shock: