Do you own an EPD WASP?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Do you own an EPD WASP?

Post by sigment » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm

I am looking for high res images of the pcb on an original edp wasp. I have found a few online, but would really like to get a complete set, front and back.

I am willing to donate a some bucks to anyone that can systematically document and photograph it. I want to build a clone and this is the first step. I plan on making 2 initial prototypes. 1 to midi-fy with no keyboard (in a desktop box) and 1 for testing with different keyboard styles with the monotron and korg volca bass being the first donors.

I may ask for a few continuity tests as there are traces routed under a few of the ICs and/or verification on other component parts as needed.

Again, I am willing to pay you for your time (moddestly, of course). Hopefully this project will see some results by the holidays this year. I go down to 4 days a week at the workplace over the summer, so large chunks of hours will be spent then + other time as my other projects wrap up...

anyways.. if you have one and are interested, please let me know thanks

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: Do you own an EPD WASP?

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:10 pm

Not to put you off but there is this if you've seen it?

http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en ... Clone.html

Also I have a Wasp that is already apart waiting patiently for restoration if you need some pics.

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS

Post by sigment » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:53 pm

I have seen it, but in reading about other peoples experience with it, there were apparently flaws in the layout and flaws in the additional features and their integration.

I figured, as basic as it sounds ( and I am not a guru as far as electronic design or engineering) I could improve my soldering skills and my understanding of circuit design by mimicking the layout 1 to 1.

and it will be fun, i think.... or at least frustrating! :lol: :lol:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:23 pm

Won't the circuitboards be a problem? Or do you plan to just wire everything together on a huge breadboard?

sigment

Post by sigment » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Bitexion wrote:Won't the circuitboards be a problem? Or do you plan to just wire everything together on a huge breadboard?
as of right now, I am gearing up to recreated the layout in Eagle or pcbweb designer. No custom stuff, just trace for trace duplication and either printing my own (much easier than one would think) or having a company do it for me (cost is increased due to the low count of boards and the size, BUT i think, it would produce a more professional result and easier assembly with proper labels and silk screening).