MicroBrute - How awesome is it?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Re: MicroBrute - How awesome is it?

Post by c-level » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:47 pm

so im oddly intruiged by the microbrute and the SQ atm. bummed that the SQ1 doesnt have midi sync. does it sound probable that i could run midi into the micro, then 'clock' out from a synced LFO squarewave into the 'sync in' of the SQ1 for a relatively midi-synced sequence? i could obviously do it from say a volca beats. but dont know if i would suffer any clock/lag like that....

mute

Post by mute » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:08 pm

owning both I honestly find them to be pretty different. clearly there is some sonic relationship and overlap, but I often find times where I will dial in sounds on the microbrute that I wouldn't even think of on the mini. I wouldn't say that the mini has a wider palette ..what I would say is that once you start getting into the fringes of both synths they start to head in different directions.

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:46 pm

c-level wrote:trying out the minibrute in store, it sounds really harsh, like distorted internally. idk that i can get down with that sound. but for some reason im drawn to the microbrute atm, esp the SE with the stackable patch matrix. it looks like the env is normalled to the metalizer and there is a envelope level knob on the panel which is nice. but i hate to be that guy but i want the mixed features of the mini and the micro, the arpeggio of the OG minibrute in the micro SE. not a step sequencer guy....
I've played both the micro and the mini and there IS a difference in the sound. It's subtle, but it's there. The Micro sounds more agressive, more mid-forward and distorts easier. It can still be tweaked into sounding buttery, though.
I personally really don't get all the complaints about Brutes sounding harsh, distorted and agressive. Actually, if you have some years of working with analog synths behind you, you actually have to even work a bit to get it to bark. The resonance calibration for example is quite un-typical. Usually on most synths I've played the resonance turned pass 9 o'clock was already quite pronounced. Not so on the Minibrute. It happens at 12 o'clock and up to there there is one big soft spot and I like that as you can really dial the resonance very precisely. Then it goes more exponential after 12 o'clock and it starts to scream, and it is a good scream. The brute factor really isn't the main parameter that gives it a harsh sound. Not at all. It's the metallizer on the triangle wave, the oscillator waveform levels past 50% and the cranked up resonance. The brute factor actually rounds things off when used up to 10 o'clock. Just a very nice saturation. Resonance goes down and the sound gets fatter, but not more agressive (although some might describe it more in your face). It's when you get past 12 o'clock on the brute factor that things start to break up, but still, that breakup is not what I would call harsh. It's actually quite pleasant to the ear, although it's a complete mayhem :)

Personally I believe there is NOTHING analog on the market below $1000 that can compete with the Brutes, be it Mini or Micro. Novation BassStation 2 could challenge them, but they totally screw it up with omission of variable filter tracking (man, how could they blow this up so badly?). Moogs don't do anything for me, sorry, and DSI stuff is just not as weighty sounding. The only thing I dislike is the LFO to Pitch amount knob. It's awfully calibrated. When centered it's zero, when moved just a milimeter there is already too much of modulation, so subtle osc pitch modulation is not possible. I'm going to mod this for sure as it kills it. And it could look prettier, too :) I'm going to mod this, too :)
But really, you can't go wrong with the Brutes. No matter if one has expensive Moogs or whatever. They have their own tricks and their own sound.

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:47 am

I definitely liked my micro sound wise, but I kept getting weird midi issues when trying to sync the internal sequencer to external clock, and the note repeat function on my mp2000xl caused the micro to wig out. To elaborate notes would only trigger upon release of the keys rather than the pressing of said keys.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Nils

Post by Nils » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:41 am

c-level wrote:esp the SE with the stackable patch matrix.
The patch matrix is the same on both synths, you can use stackables on both. It's just standard minijack.
The difference is that the stackables are provided with the SE when you buy it.
There's nothing preventing you from using stackables with the non-SE version.

Personally I like my microbrute, but being used to vintage analogs, I find it sounds radically different. It has a much more modern, polished sound. It provides a lot of punch and power, but lacks the liveliness of the better sounding oldies. To my ears at least :)

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Great synths, but my biggest issues with the Mini, was the bizarre throw of the envelope sliders. Very touchy.

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Fri May 15, 2015 12:41 am

I got a MicroBrute!

I must say I don't totally like its sound. I'm not Brute factor / Metalizer lover. The interface is wonderful.
The raw oscillators sound flat, like very mid-range or plastic (to me). I found that Triangle wave helps a lot! a lot..
Every time I use Square or Saw, I need to add Triangle wave, to get low range frequencies. Always.

The interface and routings are really good for the price.

I would always prefer more smooth filter, like 24db/oct moog filters, but I guess that would higher its cost. that's a personal taste anyway

It's a really -lovely- toy compared to SH-101 for example, in matter of sound, not interface possibilities.
Last edited by moog-lover on Sat May 16, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soul_Processor

Post by Soul_Processor » Fri May 15, 2015 3:22 pm

I can't account for the microbrute, but I tried the minibrute some days ago in a store, I guess they are quite similar...

I thought I would like it, but while playing it, I never really was satisfied with the sound. maybe it shines with some delay and reverb, like my Dark Energy II does, but the raw, unprocessed synth left me unimpressed.

couldn't get any "deep" sounds out of it really.

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Sat May 16, 2015 5:07 am

moog-lover wrote:I'm not Brute factor / Metalizer lover.
Me neither. But try with the Brute Factor at 4 or 5: the sound is just warmer.

A jam with some friends:

The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon May 18, 2015 4:06 am

moog-lover wrote:I got a MicroBrute!

I must say I don't totally like its sound. I'm not Brute factor / Metalizer lover. The interface is wonderful.
The raw oscillators sound flat, like very mid-range or plastic (to me). I found that Triangle wave helps a lot! a lot..
Every time I use Square or Saw, I need to add Triangle wave, to get low range frequencies. Always.

The interface and routings are really good for the price.

I would always prefer more smooth filter, like 24db/oct moog filters, but I guess that would higher its cost. that's a personal taste anyway

It's a really -lovely- toy compared to SH-101 for example, in matter of sound, not interface possibilities.
Spend some more time learning how it works, you'll discover it has a quite big sonic range. Note that the oscillator levels aren't switches, they're pots. You'll get varying tones out of the filter depending one how hard you drive the oscillators into it. Don't think of all the way up as the default 'on' level, think of halfway as normal and more than halfway as driving the filter. :thumbleft: Same with the Brute factor, you need to use it subtly.

moog-lover

Post by moog-lover » Mon May 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: Spend some more time learning how it works, you'll discover it has a quite big sonic range. Note that the oscillator levels aren't switches, they're pots. You'll get varying tones out of the filter depending one how hard you drive the oscillators into it. Don't think of all the way up as the default 'on' level, think of halfway as normal and more than halfway as driving the filter. :thumbleft: Same with the Brute factor, you need to use it subtly.
After tweaking about two days I've noticed that! that's a good point you mention. It is interesting in matter of design, however I keep feeling that its sound is very metalic and aggresive. I think it really lacks low frequencies in raw Saw and Square oscillators. Maybe it was designed like that because of its wave mix + brute factor nature.