Roland JD-Xa

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, iPad2 running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1 and Mellotronics M3000HD
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Re: Roland JD-Xa

Post by alfadawg01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:08 pm

On a dark or poorly lit stage, red is the easiest and least stressful color for eyes to see. Just sayin'

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:24 pm

Just another case of " can't have it all " syndrome , but I'm pretty disappointed to find out they didn't carry over the drum PCM and drum " part " from the JDXI . Seams kind of an oversight considering .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

Rokk

Post by Rokk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:40 pm

desmond wrote:
Rokk wrote:And really, Roland should work a bit on their designs as most of their stuff is really ugly and un-inspiring.
I used to *love* Roland's instrument designs of the past, right up to about, say the JD800/JV-80/XV-5080 era, and then from that point, I've really disliked Roland's designs, from the MC's and Gaia's through V-Synths and Aira's etc - they all look cheap, gimmicky and toy-like, rather than sexy, rugged, professional and stylish musical tools and instruments like they used to be.

The JD-XA has things about it I quite like, and the form factor is nice, but all the red is not that nice and it still looks a bit cheap and toy-like, especially from the back, considering the price of the instrument. And I'd find four analog voices limiting, but at least Roland, lately, seem to be moving in the right direction, even if they're not there yet.
The old Roland stuff looks great! Even the JD-800 looks good, although it would really fit into Benji Zax series :)
I like the design of the 90's grooveboxes, MC303, especially, but from then onwards nothing caught my eye.

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:46 pm

alfadawg01 wrote:On a dark or poorly lit stage, red is the easiest and least stressful color for eyes to see. Just sayin'

This is true, but that shiny surface reflecting any overhead lights has got to be annoying. Don't get me wrong, I like Tron just as much as the next guy, but this and the aira series are are terribly ugly and overly "futuristic" imo.

it does sound nice though

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:59 pm

sigment wrote:
alfadawg01 wrote:On a dark or poorly lit stage, red is the easiest and least stressful color for eyes to see. Just sayin'

This is true, but that shiny surface reflecting any overhead lights has got to be annoying. Don't get me wrong, I like Tron just as much as the next guy, but this and the aira series are are terribly ugly and overly "futuristic" imo.

Actually, that isn't strictly true. In the dark, Blue light is picked up the most quickly by human eyes, which is why nearly across the board, Police lights are all blue now.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

sigment
Gear: MACHINEDRUM, SH-101, MINILOGUE, STREICHFETT, MPC1000, BSII, MINIAK, MS2000R, VOLCA-B, GEKKAN, XE-8, RX-21 + TOYS
Band: SLAVESTAR

Post by sigment » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Walter Ego wrote:
sigment wrote:

Actually, that isn't strictly true. In the dark, Blue light is picked up the most quickly by human eyes, which is why nearly across the board, Police lights are all blue now.
I thought he was trying to make the point of red in the dark is less stressful and will help retain nightvision, like the pilots use in the movies... I know the blue leds on my mixer and monitor are bright as f and cause "trails" if I look across them quickly, but the red leds on the ms2000 just don't have that effect. :?: idk

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:53 pm

^^

Yeah, I'm probably being way too technical. I'm sure it varies subjectively for each person, as well.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm

You really don't want "police lights" blinding the f*ck out of you on a dark stage. Plus red is the movie fake light for "emergency power", having created countless suspenseful escape scenes in sci-fi films.

Which is of course bollocks, a real emergency power generator will just take over with a tiny flash of light, not switch everything into dark red and scary :D

alfadawg01
Gear: Ensoniq SD1, Roland JV1080, Alesis Ion, iPad2 running Animoog, Galileo Organ, iM1 and Mellotronics M3000HD
Band: The Journey Worship Band

Post by alfadawg01 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:14 pm

sigment wrote:I thought he was trying to make the point of red in the dark is less stressful and will help retain nightvision, like the pilots use in the movies... I know the blue leds on my mixer and monitor are bright as f and cause "trails" if I look across them quickly, but the red leds on the ms2000 just don't have that effect. :?: idk
Thank you, sigment, that was exactly my point. Blue will blind, red will not. Yeah, the shiny finish on the panel is questionable, but that thing sounds good. Plus, did I really see the Roland modulation paddle and pitch and mod wheels?

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 pm

It's actually a visual problem and a few people whom own the smaller JD-Xi have already been saying that it's difficult to read the printed text in the dark. While the screen, knobs, sliders and buttons all light up, they distract your eyes from being able to focus on the red text for each parameter. It's sort of like being in a brightly lit room and trying to look outside a window from a distance while it is night time. You can barely see anything, but if you were to turn off the lights inside, you could see outside clearer. Same applies to this synthesizer.

Aaron2
Gear: Pioneer: Toraiz SP-16
Elektron: AK, AR, MnM, MD, OT
DSI: Evolver, MEK, P08, Pro2
Korg: Arp Odyssey
Waldorf: Blofeld Keyboard

Post by Aaron2 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 am

At this price, I'd rather pony up a few more bucks and get a Prophet-6. That's just me.

I will say this, though: because this instrument is so expensive, it makes the $499 JD-Xi look like the deal of the century. To me, the Xi has enough of the XA's features that the XA just seems overpriced. Sure, you get more with the XA, but not enough more to make it worth 4.5 times the price of the Xi. (Oh yeah, plus you get all those great drum samples on the Xi -- something I can't believe Roland omitted from the XA.)

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:45 am

loungedumore wrote:Just another case of " can't have it all " syndrome , but I'm pretty disappointed to find out they didn't carry over the drum PCM and drum " part " from the JDXI . Seams kind of an oversight considering .
Yeah, that sucks. I hope they'll be able to offer these as a download for use ine the digital section.
It's also a bummer and a bit surprising the jd-xa has half the polyphony of the jd-xi.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Aaron2 wrote:At this price, I'd rather pony up a few more bucks and get a Prophet-6. That's just me.
It's not just you. :D

Not heard a single thing I've liked from the JD-Xa demos yet, quite the opposite and I was quite looking forward to it (I started the other thread on it when it first popped up at NAMM). It's not what I thought it would be and has a few too many drawbacks for me, but most of all I'm just not enthralled enough by the sound to spend that money on it - would rather buy a real VCO analog second hand for the same or less (an oldie) or as you say, save a bit more and get a Prophet 6. That's just my tastes though, I know not everyone wants a pure analog, and some are excited by the digital side of the Xa but to me it just seems hella unfocussed and in no-man's land now it's been fully revealed.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I actually liked what I've heard tonally from the JD-XA so far, which is saying a lot because the actual song demos are really not my style. I said this on another forum, but it reminds me a lot of the Jupiter 6. Kind of bright and mid-range, but it still has that classic Roland filter sound in the resonance. For that price tag though, I'd rather save a little extra and get a Prophet 6. Even if the JD-XA somehow ends up being the greatest sounding synth on the market, that front panel is going to be an eye sore.

Mattew96
Gear: Ace Tone GT-7
Korg Monotribe
Moog Music Voyager Select
Moog Music Slim Phatty
Roland CM-32L&P
Roland D-110
Roland D-5
Roland JV-1080
Yamaha FB-01

Post by Mattew96 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 pm

The more I think about it the more the JD-Xa sounds like what the D70 should have been, or maybe like a kind of D90. It sort of fits the JD moniker, but this engine combination is configurable in such a way that it'd be like the ULTIMATE LA synth (mind you with only four analog "partials" rather than 32). Imagine how crisp yet lush some LA inspired sounds would be!
Grapple with reality.