CS-50 60 owners

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: CS-50 60 owners

Post by Cumulus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:39 am

Oh, and in response to AG, I've found the CS-60 to be very solid and reliable. I've gigged with it many times since I bought it in 1991 or so.
Last edited by Cumulus on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:There is something very special about a polyphonic synthesizer with a resonant high pass filter and a resonant low pass filter. There is something very special about an analog polyphonic that will cycle through voices with each note played (if you play one note over and over again, you're getting a different oscillator on each hit). There is something very special about a polyphonic that allows high and band pass functionality but provides you with sine waves to bring the bass back in after you've taken it out. There is really nothing like this synth anywhere, ever.
Yeah, I too like the Andromeda :thumbright: :mrgreen:

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:23 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:There is something very special about a polyphonic that allows high and band pass functionality but provides you with sine waves to bring the bass back in after you've taken it out.
+1 Absolutely!

I also was really taken by the thoughtfully conceived filter topology on the CS-50 - you can dial in some really cool fizzy sounds with the resonant HPF and the LPF with a load of resonance and Fc set quite high and then wind in some lovely deep sine wave underneath to hold it all together.

The ring modulator is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the CS-50 in my opinion as it sounds great but could have been so much more. It is possible to make some very nice bells with it but only as sweet spots on the keyboard as the modulation oscillator can't be made to track the pitch (unless I'm very mistaken!) which I think is a great shame.

I think is has already been touched on but I also love the way the signal path can be overdriven to a certain degree and its possible to produce some pretty effective electric guitar type timbres with this instrument.

I felt myself considerably more drawn in and interested by the sound and character of the single oscillator CS-50 than the dual oscillator OB-X which, if I'm honest, was a bit of a disappointment. The CS-50 has more heart and more interesting filters.

And speaking of character, I'm still very taken by my recently acquired PE-1000 which sounds (growls!) like no other polysynth I've ever heard! I recently washed it through a triple chorus program I came up with on the superb little Korg SDD-3300 (yet another bizarre, unusual and interesting Korg design!) and I nearly melted!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:59 am

pflosi wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:There is something very special about a polyphonic synthesizer with a resonant high pass filter and a resonant low pass filter. There is something very special about an analog polyphonic that will cycle through voices with each note played (if you play one note over and over again, you're getting a different oscillator on each hit). There is something very special about a polyphonic that allows high and band pass functionality but provides you with sine waves to bring the bass back in after you've taken it out. There is really nothing like this synth anywhere, ever.
Yeah, I too like the Andromeda :thumbright: :mrgreen:
The Andromeda developers had a long, hard look at the CS series yeah. Mixable sinewave post-filter, keyboard-long ribbon (that isn't a stupid felt strip with a wire underneath), two filters, 16 voices.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, plus all the other things AG mentions: resonant hi and lo, with configurable routing; the post-filter sine waves (plus ringmod) as you say; and cycles through the voices.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:04 am

get the 60 if you can snag one. ....and a dolly if you're under 6ft or 180lbs

The CS80's chorus is no loss you can't make up elsewhere, and really you're just without the polyAT (in studio scenario). Although live you're stuck in single-timbre-land - where the 80 can layer.

the 50 loses 4 voices, an octave of keys, the ribbon, filter tracking (separate levers for HPF and LPF), footswitch button and about 30 lbs.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:16 am

pflosi wrote: and cycles through the voices.
All analogue polysynths do that though! And DCO polys too. It's not unique the the Yamaha polys.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 am

Yes. Some have additional assignment mode, when they always start with "first free voice". That means, that long releases get cut off with each new chord - this can be useful sometimes too.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I was really just taking a stab at AG, for once people didn't get it :( And he managed to not get provoced! Or hasn't seen it yet :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Hopefully he's too busy making cool synth demo videos to notice us pond scum.

SKINNYPIG

Post by SKINNYPIG » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:54 pm

shaft9000 wrote: the 50 loses 4 voices, an octave of keys, the ribbon, filter tracking (separate levers for HPF and LPF), footswitch button and about 30 lbs.
and it's also missing the 60 & 80's hilarious 'patch memory'!
Every synth should have a trapdoor under which lives a tiny reproduction of it's control panel!

I was able to get a very good deal on a 60 with a couple of dead voices, simply hold down a couple of keys with duct tape to keep the dead voice boards engaged and yr good to go!

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:52 pm

shaft9000 wrote: [...] The CS80's chorus is no loss you can't make up elsewhere, [...]
In fact, the built-in chorus/tremolo sounds dreadful... the chorus has something plasticky about it and the tremolo makes me feel seasick.

Better off using a Dimension D and an ADR Panscan -- if you really need chorus and tremolo, that is.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Or just nudge the ringmod amount a tiny bit so it sounds like tremolo

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:29 pm

Bitexion wrote:Or just nudge the ringmod amount a tiny bit so it sounds like tremolo
Oh, that would be only half the fun.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:04 am

madtheory wrote:
pflosi wrote: and cycles through the voices.
All analogue polysynths do that though! And DCO polys too. It's not unique the the Yamaha polys.
Okay, I'm not sure of this... and I don't have the means to check.
But irrespective of that... the point of cycling through all of the oscillators in sequence when you're pressing one note is that they are all somewhat different due to the variety of analog differences. This is going to be vastly, if not infinitely, worthless with an oscillator that is digitally tuned. The point is that every time you play a chord, there is a different oscillator (probably) playing each voice in the chord, and each of those oscillators is different in tuning, waveshape, phase, and etc.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay