CS-50 60 owners

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
smith toppleton

Re: CS-50 60 owners

Post by smith toppleton » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:45 pm

madtheory wrote:Agreed 20 cents is a lot. Dude,do you even program your Nord Lead dual sawtooth detune by 20 cents, you'll hear how wobbly it gets??
For pads it sounds pretty nice, actually. But that's two oscillators layered. The CS-50 would be individual notes. I've never heard a single osc synth play where each voice differs by that amount.

Just a quick example:

https://soundcloud.com/account/nordlead4detune

For chords, you can hear that in the midrange it sounds like a pleasant PWM pad. When it gets higher up in octave it starts sounding shrill, but then down in the bass notes it takes on a nice brassy tone again. But again, these are detuned oscillators playing on top of each other, not individual detuned notes playing in sequence. That would probably sound naff.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Sat May 02, 2015 1:15 pm

A quick update:

The tech has continued working on it and now says all four voices are in tune with each other across 90% of the keyboard range. Unfortunately, he says that there is still a ~10 cent pitch increase on all four voices on the bottom octave when "2 Octave Down" is engaged. He thinks this may be consistent with other CS 50s and 60s as they use the same keyboard/pitch tracking mechanism. It's news to me, but I have a few analogs that lose "perfect pitch" when going down several octaves, so it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

:?:

Mac Moog
Gear: ARP 2600, Alesis A6 Andromeda, Mellotron 4000D, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg MS-10/20/700s, Kurzweil PC3K, Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60/AN1x

Post by Mac Moog » Sat May 02, 2015 11:04 pm

I perform with a CS-60 as a lead instrument and blend it with pads and such from a Matrix 12, occasionally, I add an Alesis A6 Andromeda to the mix to round out the sound I am looking for during a live show.

On a side note, I think it's fun that the board considers me a newbie, since I've been playing synths for 43 years. :D
It's cool, like a fez.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Sun May 03, 2015 3:34 pm

That must be a great show! How often do you need to get it serviced?

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Mon May 04, 2015 12:23 pm

smith toppleton wrote:
knolan wrote: I'd wait to get that tuning thing sorted - being a single channel synth, it'd annoy you I suspect! Unless you try it and find that it's sufficiently "tooked away" form being every used. If it's stable, and you can get it at a keen price, it might be worth buying, with a view to having that last tuning item serviced later ?? Only you can make that call.

I was wondering how noticeable it would be. With these older synths don't the oscillators drift plus or minus 10 cents anyway? Is 20 cents enough that it would sound out of tune next to other stable synths (I guess I could check this with a sampler myself in the DAW)? Also, being 2 octaves down, I think the pitch would also be harder to determine. But I would hate to be playing a bass line and have every two voices sound obviously out of tune. Decisions, decisions.

My concern is that although the CS-50 is not in perfect shape, in 2015 they're already going for around $2000 (this one is about $1800*) it could be my last chance to pick one up before they go for $2500, $3000, who knows. On the other hand, if this tech can't fix it at this time, what's to say he ever gets the part?

*Isn't it ridiculous? It's low enough that I can still justify buying it, but also insanely expensive for a synth that just 10 years ago regularly sold for $500.

Anyway, sorry to turn this into a "should I buy this synth" thread.

Any owners up to recording a CS80ish multi-track? I can reciprocate if anyone wants to hear something I've got (or record/sample some passes for your tracks). Studio Electronics Omega, Roland Paraphonic 505, Eventide Orville & H3000, Dimension D, Nord Lead 4, Future Retro 777, TR 808, MPC 3000/S950... nothing too rare unfortunately.
My two-penny's worth:
- I wouldn't buy it because the price may soon be out of range. Instead, if you know why, musically you want it then go for it, otherwise I'd suggest thinking about it.

- Personal opinion here - I feel the best vintage synths are always worth acquiring, but be prepared for effort in maintenance. These days, if I find myself planning to buy an expensive new release, I deflect my thinking (and money) towards the classics I'm after. Currently that's a long list - Promars, JP4, JP8, Minimoog, OBXA or OB8 and Matrix12. Why would I buy a Prophet-6 when I can acquire one of those classics (or part save for one in a few years)?

I accept the modern analogue synths are amazing - if I were rich I'd buy them too - and do buy an occasional new top quality new synth too (in my opinion the Sub37 is the best 21st century analogue synth as it brings real improvements and innovation to the mono synth, so will likely acquire one too) - but overall - the best vintage synths are, in my opinion, always worth serious consideration when forking out a lot on a synth (if it's in quite good condition to begin with)

Overall, you've got to like the vintage synth you're after, and be prepared for continuous, long-term servicing / calibration. Otherwise I'd advise against it.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Wed May 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks, knolan, that's a good point.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu May 07, 2015 2:35 pm

$2,500 for a CS-50?

I'm glad I bought mine when analogs were not cool.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Fri May 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Tell me about it. I bought an SH-101 with grip for $400 and sold it a few years later for $250. Now you're lucky if you can find one for under $1000. It's okay though, I thought it was boring.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 pm

It's here!

A few clips of CS50 with reverb or delay. Sorry, it probably needs some EQ.
Needless to say, it's everything I had hoped for. Very sensitive, organic sound, dynamic performance controls, and an excellent keyboard! I'm surprised how well it responds to outboard effects too. You'd almost never guess it was a single oscillator synth with a little reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/account/cs50scraps/s-fNya9

It's been a while since I've used a synth without MIDI. One thing is for sure, I'm going to have to practice actual playing skills with this one.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 pm

smith toppleton wrote:It's here!

A few clips of CS50 with reverb or delay. Sorry, it probably needs some EQ.
Needless to say, it's everything I had hoped for. Very sensitive, organic sound, dynamic performance controls, and an excellent keyboard! I'm surprised how well it responds to outboard effects too. You'd almost never guess it was a single oscillator synth with a little reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/account/cs50scraps/s-fNya9

It's been a while since I've used a synth without MIDI. One thing is for sure, I'm going to have to practice actual playing skills with this one.
I love the third one.

Could you give me a hint as to how to replicate it on my CS-50, please?

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Fri May 22, 2015 6:05 am

These are amazing sounds. Very full sounding.
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Fri May 22, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks!

Cumulus, I'm embarrassed to say I don't completely remember. I was playing around last night for a couple hours and recorded everything, then uploaded a few bits. But I tried to recreate it today by doing this:

Set up a very basic patch with default envelope settings and no modulation. Turn the sine wave in the AMP section all the way up. Set all the filters to zero. Turn on the saw wave and open the LPF slowly until you can just hear the saw. Set the LFO speed to just below halfway and introduce a little modulation in the Touch Response section. I think that gets pretty close. I was opening up the LPF by hand as I played it to let more and more saw wave into the mix. Oh, and most importantly, send it through an old reverb. I used an Eventide H3000.

If that doesn't help I can upload a photo of the panel.

zaphod betamax

Post by zaphod betamax » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:09 pm

One thing that does not get seemed to get much mention in regards to the CS-40m,
is that in unison mode, it has 4 oscillators.
How many mono synths have 4 oscillators?

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:20 am

"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/