AN1x - Amazing!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Re: AN1x - Amazing!

Post by Broadwave » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:35 am

zukskywalker wrote:If you've got either an iPhone or an iPad you're in for a good time if you check out the free Yamaha Synth Book which contains a very nice virtual AN.
It took a while (not available in the UK app store, you have to access the US app store) but I've just managed to downloaded it... I couldn't be more impressed. I had an AN1x for quite some time, until the LCD got damaged and leaked, which made it almost impossible to edit (Yamaha didn't have any spares :cry: )

While you're in the App Store, take a look at "Music IO"... iPad MIDI & Audio via your USB cable. No more laggy MIDI over WiFi ;)

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:19 pm

In my opinion, it is in a class of its own.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:12 pm

In 1998 when it came time to purchase a VA, I had two contenders: the Roland JP-8000 and the Yamaha AN1x.
I went to a Guitar Center at the time and played both side by side. I assumed because the Roland had knobs that it would win out, but the 4-octave keyboard was a minus for me.

At the end of the evening, I suddenly found myself having WAY more fun with the AN1x, despite having only 8 knobs to play with. The JP-8000 sounded dark and kind of same-sounding, while the AN1x had a brighter sound overall but much more diversity in timbres.

I ended up buying the AN1x.

I do dislike two things about the AN1x: 1) The parameter stepping; 2) The really lame chassis construction and cheap plastic keybed (I once chipped one of my AN1x's keys -- WHILE IT WAS BEING TRANSPORTED IN A CASE!)

I did replace the volume and function matrix knobs with aftermarket knobs I found at the NAMM show. Now all I need is 8 more of them to make it complete.

One funny story with the AN1x -- I borrowed a friend's Minimoog several years ago and tried using that to replace the Minimoog-ish synth bass line I originally recorded on one of my songs using the AN1x. Guess which one sounded better? Surprisingly, not the Minimoog! At least for this song, the AN1x's imitation of a Minimoog bass patch had a heavier attack and beefier tone overall. Go figure! (I did use the Minimoog on other songs though).

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat May 09, 2015 8:11 am

If Yamaha ever released another AN2X or something, I'd like to see it as a module with an iPad editor bundled. Have always wanted to play one of these, but the interface is off-putting. Even still, I want one. The sound is fantastic.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Post by musden » Sat May 09, 2015 11:56 am

So what do you guys say about quality of keyboard? It was mentioned that keyboard is plastic, so am I correct thinking that AN1X doesn't have that well known good feeling yamaha keys?

Thank you in advance for replies!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat May 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Yes terrible keyboard, but no worse than a Mini Moog, except that the plastic case gives a poorer impression than a wood and steel case does. Full disclosure- I personally dislike anything that's not a piano style weighted keyboard.

philip

Post by philip » Sat May 09, 2015 1:29 pm

musden wrote:So what do you guys say about quality of keyboard? It was mentioned that keyboard is plastic, so am I correct thinking that AN1X doesn't have that well known good feeling yamaha keys?

Thank you in advance for replies!
AN1x has the best keyboard ever, it's the same keyboard as on my Yamaha cs70, absolutely fantastic keyboard for playing, much-much better than on my DX5. Actually,I think it's the best(semi-weighted) keyboard I ever played.

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Sat May 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Agreed. I love the AN1X keyboard. The keys seem slightly thinner and longer than the average keyboard (although that could be all in my head), which makes it very fast and playable. Definitely a good choice for master keyboard for me.

musden
Gear: radikal technologies accelerator
Band: aipracs

Post by musden » Sat May 09, 2015 3:46 pm

hm... thank you!

I am asking since I am really looking forward to buying one, but I don't have an opportunity to put my hands on it. Over the time I have become convinced that I would enjoy the instrument with a rather good keyboard..

I wonder, what happened to madtheory's synth? :) His experience with keyboard of AN1X seems to be very different ...

smith toppleton

Post by smith toppleton » Sun May 10, 2015 11:08 am

Everyone has their own preferences. :) He said he liked weighted keyboards.

In my opinion, while the keyboard on the AN1X is very playable, the case, knobs, and buttons are very cheap. It's definitely one of those synths I would prefer to program via software. That's not to say it's difficult to program--it's very intuitive and simple--just that you won't take a lot of pleasure in tweaking the sounds on it like you would a Juno or a Moog or something like that. But there are lots of 90s synths like that; great sounds, cheap interface. I imagine that's why the prices stay relatively low.

Sheherezadeh
Gear: OB6m/Prophet 08/Sub 37/Tetra/Minilogue/Slim Phatty/MS20m/Mini+Micro Brutes/Virus TI/AN1X/Ion/JP8000/Z1/Microkorg XL/System 1m/Rocket/XS8/NE373/RD700GX

Post by Sheherezadeh » Tue May 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Curious timing, I just bought one recently, having GASed off and on for one for quite some time. I'm looking forward to many good times ahead with it!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue May 12, 2015 6:12 pm

I was looking for youtube vids of it and found a great review/demo made by good old Katsunori Ujie of Yamaha
Watch on youtube to be able to see english captions. I kind of want one just to check it out, but couldn't find any in Norwegian ads.