60 Year Old Tube Instrument Resurrected!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: 60 Year Old Tube Instrument Resurrected!

Postby HideawayStudio » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:12 am

metasonix wrote:
HideawayStudio wrote:To my utter amazement the 2D21 tube is still in manufacture to this day!...
http://uk.farnell.com/richardson-electr ... 0000004637

Sorry to dredge up this thread but I had to comment.

The 2D21 IS NOT "in manufacture" and has not been made since the late 1980s. Please believe me. Richardson is notorious for making any claim to get business. Also, that price is an outrage, which is also typical with Richardson. I guarantee any 2D21s they sell are merely relabeled New Old Stock. Because NOS 2D21s are still quite commonplace and easy to purchase, you do not have to pay that price. I would suggest buying them on eBay rather than from Farnell, where they usually sell for less than $5 apiece.

I stand corrected...

I thought it seemed too good to be true! - it does appear they are selling NOS parts which is highly unusual for Farnell (FEC).
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Postby madtheory » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 am

So Farnell haven't noticed that a "new" tube from Richardson is branded Philips?!? And the data sheet is General Electric?!? Very fishy.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby LDS » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:26 am

Great thread! I have one of these little things that I am currently working my way through. What exactly does the 4-way circuit switch do? After replacing a bunch of capacitors and a good cleaning I am getting a nice, loud and playable instrument when circuit 1 is selected. The other 3 circuits don't seem to do much at all? The volume is greatly reduced, a bunch of the rocker switches still effect the sound but the volume level doesn't...

Having never actually seen another one of these, what should I expect with circuits 2, 3 and 4 in a fully functional J6?
LDS

Postby Briggsy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Dan

I have a Univox J6 in need of a little TLC and I was wondering whether I could employ your services to restore it?

On the whole it isn't too bad, its quite playable, and in quite good cosmetic condition, but I just suspect it could be much better, especially after reading your posts. The main issue is that the switches on the front don't seem to work too well.

I'm sure many of the components are out of tolerance now and that is the main issue, but its such a lovely item I just want it returned to its former glory so that generations to come can benefit.

Many thanks
Jon
Briggsy

Postby Eddy Smit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi,
I'm new on this forum.
I like to repair old portable organs and synths.
I also have this Jennings.
The Amp works. All the tubes light up. But it doesn't give any sound.
Any idea where to measure first? I have a scope and other measuring devices.
Can a get the shematics of this beauty? I can't find them :(

Thanks in advance,
Eddy, Belgium.
Eddy Smit

Previous

Return to General Synthesizers